Old 09-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Sacha

Default OT clearing jackdaw`s nest

On 9/11/05 10:59, in article , "BAC"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 9/11/05 9:04, in article
, "Mike"
wrote:

snip

People have taken great delight in jumping on me as though I talk crap.
Sorry but I have been there, done that, got the tee shirt, nearly had my
house burnt down, nearly had a chimney stack through the roof, thanks to

DIY
ers who 'have done it before so we know what we are doing' ..... Yes

Sacha
YOU

Mike

You are utterly ridiculous, as is all too usual with you. You think I

"Did
It Myself"? How stupid of you to make assumptions but how typical.
I employed professionals on each project and at every stage. I didn't
wield so much as a screwdriver myself. People jump on you because you

talk
crap 99.9% of the time, you tell lies and you boast endlessly about how
wonderful you are, how successful, how clever and how popular etc. It

falls
firmly into the category of the "fool doth protest too much" and "when a

man
speaks of his honour, make him pay cash".

I'm surprised you rose to the bait, since Mike's comment was clearly
intended to needle you.

I think Mike assumes that everyone is in the same situation as himself, in
fact, so he extrapolates from his own life to theirs. I think it's also
worth reminding the group from time to time that he is a liar and a
troublemaker - after all, the newbies do get sucked in by him from time to
time.

Anyway, it's sound advice to consult a competent professional on property
matters. It might even prevent unpleasant surprises, like finding out after
purchase that someone removed the chimney breasts without providing adequate
support for the chimney stacks :-)

I have actually known that happen to one person - luckily they weren't
living in the house when most of the chimney arrived in their living room.
;-(
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-11-2005, 11:12 AM
David

In article , Mike
writes

"David" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Kate Morgan
writes
Thank you Rusty a good idea and thank you Mike, I have never been up in
the roof, I am told it is very interesting up there, worth considering
:-)
kate

Just my two pennorth worth, I would get a local builder in as advised, I
wouldn't go knocking holes in the chimney breast unless you really know
what you are getting into, having dismantled a few chimneys... they can
be of all sorts of shapes, sizes and of a varying thickness so I would
use this idea as almost a last resort (the last would be dismantling it)

especially if the property has been in the hands of a DIY Renovator/Restorer
:-((

My present hose had been in the hands of one of those and he/she removed the
chimney breast from the rooms below and left the chimney stack in the roof
supported on a length of 3 x 2 stretched across the rafters!! Now removed.

The previous house was the same. 'Electrical rewire' and cables going ACROSS
the joists and floorboards laid across those. We wondered what the burning
smell was!! Same house. Partition to make a passageway to the extension and
new bedrooms at the back made of 'any old timber' bodged together. We
wondered why they rocked and were not too secure.

Get the oldest builder you can find. Not some of these "We do everything.
Plumbing, Gardening, Electrical, Extensions" and by 'oldest builder', I mean
the oldest "established" builder in your area.

People have taken great delight in jumping on me as though I talk crap.
Sorry but I have been there, done that, got the tee shirt, nearly had my
house burnt down, nearly had a chimney stack through the roof, thanks to DIY
ers who 'have done it before so we know what we are doing' ..... Yes Sacha
YOU

Mike

But you do talk crap a lot of the time Mike and then you are also an
unpleasant bully

--
David
Old 09-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Mike

Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear. She who has me killfiled raises her wrath again,
AND dares to call me a liar!! Yes I did ONCE lie on a newsgroup, possibly
this one, and our bosom friend Andy Mabbett jumped up and down with glee and
STILL likes to quote it :-)))

Mike
Who never knowingly tells lies

Does he Mabbett?

Old 09-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Mike

, like finding out after
purchase that someone removed the chimney breasts without providing

adequate
support for the chimney stacks :-)

Thank you. As I quoted in my house :-(((

Old 09-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Mike

But you do talk crap a lot of the time Mike and then you are also an
unpleasant bully

--
David

"BULLY"???????

That title can be made on "The Owners" who tell others what they can do and
what they cannot do. "Do as I say, not as I do" appears to be their motto.

"I've been gardening since Adam and I know all there is to know. How dare
you question what I say. I don't care if you are doing an RHS Course"

Have you seen that thread from the Barrowcloth?

"I have rebuilt umpteen houses so I know what I am talking about. How dare
you give advice when I know everything to do with rebuilding houses"

Yes that as well

As I said once before, "Aggression and Control" in gardening seems a little
strange to me in what is a very close contact with nature. But then the
penny dropped, these are people used to being aggressive and 'Controlling
nature to how THEY want things to be in the garden and greenhouse, so it
spills out here.

Perhaps there should be a motto for gardeners. "Gardening is left outside
with the muddy boots, control and aggression"

:-))

Mike
Who doesn't knowingly tell lies
Does he Mabbett?

Old 09-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Mike Lyle

michael adams wrote:
[...]
Whereas if you ask a builder, no matter how old he is etc. etc.
he has an incentive to make a meal of it by erecting scaffolding
and making as much of a fuss, and charging as much, as he can.

[...]

[Sharp intake of breath] Good job you called me in, love! Those
chimneys need repointing all over or they'll come through the roof in
the next gale, and I don't know who did that flashing, but I can tell
without looking you've got leaks into the attic: next thing, it'll be
rot in the timbers, if it hasn't started already, shouldn't wonder.
And the TV aerial! Blimey, what a mess! Too many cowboys around these
days. You do know about those loose slates, don't you? While we're up
there, it won't cost you much more to fit a nice Velux roof-light:
make that attic into a lovely extra room. Plasterboard lining, bit of
flooring...

--
Mike.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Mike

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:
[...]
[...]

THAT is why I advocated an old reliable LOCAL builder who is known, knows
the property, and knows the area.

Jumping on the 'Let's see if we can argue with everyone' Band Wagon are we?
Sad :-((

Old 09-11-2005, 12:01 PM
David

In article , Mike
writes

[...]

Do you want to read that back to yourself? control and aggression?? fits
quite nicely in a lot of your posts, no wonder you run an ex servicemens
group, you must have fitted in very well while you were in. The sooner
they bring back conscription the better eh?
and the infantile mispronunciation of surnames... I left that sort of
thing in the playground, why don't you try growing up a little?

--
David
Old 09-11-2005, 12:06 PM
BAC

"Mike" wrote in message
, like finding out after
purchase that someone removed the chimney breasts without providing

adequate
support for the chimney stacks :-)

Thank you. As I quoted in my house :-(((

The old proverb, 'look before you leap' is most appropriate where property
purchase is concerned :-)

Old 09-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Mike

"David" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes

[...]

Oh dear David. Been listening too much to "The Owners". Not done you any
good at all.

:-((

Old 09-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Mike Lyle

Mike wrote:
[...]
Jumping on the 'Let's see if we can argue with everyone' Band Wagon
are we? Sad :-((

I'm regretting replying to you even before I get well started. But I
was, in fact, not arguing but agreeing.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:06 PM
La puce

Kate Morgan wrote:
I am an OAP and I dont think I could knock the skin of a rice pudding -
not really that feeble and I would eat the rice pudding skin especially
if it were burnt - but thank you for your concern and interest, it will
be local builder and raiding the piggy bank I think :-)

Hello Kate. My 4 pennies worth ....

My builders just left last week end after 6 weeks doing my loft. I live
in a edwardian house 103 years old 3 storeys and we had 3 velux in, 2
large windows from roof to floor level and we're really happy. However,
please call someone in to be with you when the builders come around so
that another pair of ears can understand what needs doing and explain
the job at hand. We're just over 3 thousand pounds on our budget
because of 'these little extra things' like chimney mortar turning into
dust as soon as you touch the bricks. Didn't sound like a big deal -
but it costed us a lot.

These birds of yours might cost you more than you might have in the
piggy bank. I was surprised at the amount the contractors wanted!! Good
luck.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Mike

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Kate Morgan wrote:
[...]

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but would add the proviso that 'everything'
is done to a quote and a written one at that. Yes I am well aware that
'hidden' things can be found when a floorboard is lifted or the wallpaper
taken off an old wall, but even there, a written quote should be provided
and a reputable builder/decorator/plaster/electrician/plumber will be happy
to provide one, and Kate, do you know the difference between a quote and an
estimate? Please excuse me if you do, but a quote is a fixed price and an
estimate is variable and by no fixed amount. ALL of the jobs I have done are
on a fixed quote and none of them have been over budget. New roof, new
kitchen in a new place and another room made from the old kitchen, all
windows replaced with double glazed ones, full central heating etc etc. BUT,
ALL of the work is done by local reputable tradesmen and craftsmen, many I
know socially and have worked with on other projects. That is why I
emphisise the local man, who is well established. Now the experts who have
done it before will rip me to shreds :-))

Carry on. YOU have the last silly word

Mike

Old 09-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

My present hose had been in the hands of one of those

TMI!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 09-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Anyway, it's sound advice to consult a competent professional on property
matters. It might even prevent unpleasant surprises, like finding
out after
purchase that someone removed the chimney breasts without providing
adequate
support for the chimney stacks :-)

I have actually known that happen to one person - luckily they weren't
living in the house when most of the chimney arrived in their living room.

I know someone else who had that (though not the falling bit) - but
fortunately, when he came to buy the house he got loads knocked-off the
selling price.

And I was talking to someone else who said they'd removed the
chimneybreast downstairs. I said I hoped it was properly supported and
she replied: "Oh yes, there's a JCB holding it up."

Well, it's got a 'J' in it innit.

Jackdaw chicks Sacha United Kingdom 15 24-05-2007 11:22 AM
effort in clearing up hazy water... will this do? linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 53 20-04-2003 05:56 AM
water report (WAS: effort in clearing up hazy water... will this do?) LM Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 05:56 AM
water report (WAS: effort in clearing up hazy water... will this do?) LM Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 02-03-2003 07:08 PM
MTD snowblower not clearing to asphalt Tim Lawns 1 24-02-2003 09:07 AM