GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   is it too late for Japanese overwintering onions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108934-too-late-japanese-overwintering-onions.html)

Gardening_Convert 10-11-2005 02:18 PM

is it too late for Japanese overwintering onions

I have some Japanese overwintering onions which I bought to plant but
have not been able to do it as the wife has had me busy tiling the
kitchen for the last 3 weeks .

Is it too late to plant them ?

Also I noticed that some of them are sprouting in the packet are they
still ok to use ?

Cheers

Colin

shazzbat 10-11-2005 02:24 PM

is it too late for Japanese overwintering onions

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have some Japanese overwintering onions which I bought to plant but
have not been able to do it as the wife has had me busy tiling the
kitchen for the last 3 weeks .

Is it too late to plant them ?

No.

Also I noticed that some of them are sprouting in the packet are they
still ok to use ?

Yes.

I would plant all the ones that are sprouted already into the
garden/allotment, and put the rest in pots. Some will sprout, some won't.
Plant the ones that do, this avoids having a damn great row with big gaps.

Steve

Gardening_Convert 10-11-2005 02:38 PM

is it too late for Japanese overwintering onions

Do I leave the pots outside ?

shazzbat 10-11-2005 05:20 PM

is it too late for Japanese overwintering onions

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do I leave the pots outside ?

As long as you're not getting really bad frosts they'll be ok. I left mine
in the greenhouse mostly for my own convenience, but they're planted out
now, and I have a row with no gaps (yet)

Steve