Old 11-11-2005, 03:07 PM
John Hammer

Default Plants for a Winter hanging basket

Hi,
Any ideas for 'unusual' plants that would grow happily in a winter hanging
basket? Please don't include ivy or pansies in your suggestions. As the
basket will be hung under an archway, it will not be subject to a covering
of snow - I hope!!

TIA,
John Hammer

Old 11-11-2005, 03:36 PM
La puce

John Hammer wrote:
Hi,
Any ideas for 'unusual' plants that would grow happily in a winter hanging
basket? Please don't include ivy or pansies in your suggestions. As the
basket will be hung under an archway, it will not be subject to a covering
of snow - I hope!!

I've made a winter pot with a little pieris, a yellow euonymous, a hebe
franciscana and a skimmia. But first, underneath I put 4 white hyacinth
bulbs for some variety in 2/3 months time. Hope that gives you some
ideas.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:47 PM
John Hammer

Thank you for your reply, I find your plant selection very interesting
indeed. However, perhaps your chosen plants are more suitable for your pot
than my not too large hanging basket. I have a yellow leaved Euonymous,
Microphylla Pulchella syn 'Aurea' growing in my front garden, three years
old now and looking good. I understand that most Hebes are quite vigorous,
H. variegata less so, and there is Skimmia reevesiana, ideal for a tub or
pot. I hadn't thought of hyacinths in a hanging basket, particularly a white
flowering variety. I'm off to my local garden centre on Monday!

John Hammer
---

Old 12-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Sacha

On 12/11/05 13:47, in article ,
"John Hammer" wrote:

Thank you for your reply, I find your plant selection very interesting
indeed. However, perhaps your chosen plants are more suitable for your pot
than my not too large hanging basket. I have a yellow leaved Euonymous,
Microphylla Pulchella syn 'Aurea' growing in my front garden, three years
old now and looking good. I understand that most Hebes are quite vigorous,
H. variegata less so, and there is Skimmia reevesiana, ideal for a tub or
pot. I hadn't thought of hyacinths in a hanging basket, particularly a white
flowering variety. I'm off to my local garden centre on Monday!

What about Primulas and Muscari?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk