Old 12-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Alan Crocker

Default Advice sought

I've lived in my current house for over 5 years, fortunately for me the
previous owners laid out a very nice garden, for the size. My problem is
this plant (see - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/crockers/DSCN0395.JPG).
When I moved in, it wasn't quite so huge, but now it's starting to
dominate. Could someone please identify it and supply some recommendation's.

Thanks

Alan
Old 12-11-2005, 01:42 PM
JennyC

"Alan Crocker" wrote in message
I've lived in my current house for over 5 years, fortunately for me the
previous owners laid out a very nice garden, for the size. My problem is
this plant (see - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/crockers/DSCN0395.JPG).
When I moved in, it wasn't quite so huge, but now it's starting to
dominate. Could someone please identify it and supply some recommendation's.

Thanks
Alan

Yucca or Phormium

Goggle for photo's :~))

Jenny

Old 13-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Robert

"Alan Crocker" wrote in message
: I've lived in my current house for over 5 years, fortunately for me the
: previous owners laid out a very nice garden, for the size. My problem is
: this plant (see - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/crockers/DSCN0395.JPG).
: When I moved in, it wasn't quite so huge, but now it's starting to
: dominate. Could someone please identify it and supply some
recommendation's.
:
: Thanks
:
: Alan

Exactly as Dave Poole said. Coincidence but yesterday I was taking one out
that I had moved to the allotment because it was too big for it's spot in
the garden. It then got too big on the allotment and took me all day to get
it out... partly though because it was awkward to get at. Cut back the
outside leaves with a Stanley knife to give access to a spade and pick, to
get underneath it

Old 13-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Alan Crocker

Cheers for the advice. Looks like I'll be busy come spring...

Dave Poole wrote:
Alan Crocker wrote:

I've lived in my current house for over 5 years, fortunately for me the
previous owners laid out a very nice garden, for the size. My problem is
this plant (see - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/crockers/DSCN0395.JPG).
When I moved in, it wasn't quite so huge, but now it's starting to
dominate. Could someone please identify it and supply some recommendation's.

It is Phormium tenax, commonly known as 'New Zealand Flax'. At one
time it was considered an out and out exotic - until it was discovered
to be perfectly easy to grow almost everywhere. It is a large growing
plant - there are examples here in Torquay that are well over 2.5m.
high and 5m. across. Phormiums should be divided in spring by
separating pieces of rhizome with one or several 'fans' of leaves.

A sharp spade is obligatory for this operation and you wil need to
drive it deep through the rootstock. The best way is to start from
the outside since these are the youngest bits and most easily lifted.
Make sure each piece has a good amount of root. The sections can then
be re-planted in well prepared soil that has plenty of well-rotted
compost/manure mixed in. It is a tough thing to shift and somewhat
back-breaking, so allow plenty of time.

HTH.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK