Old 15-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Gardening_Convert

Default climber for east facing wall (font of house)

Can anyone recommend a good climber that will grow at the front of my
house on an East facing wall .

We have a honeysuckle there at the moment but this has just got very
woody and ugly.

The position does seem to be a bit open and gets the wind whipping
through some times.

Soil is neutral.

If at all possible I'd like an everygreen as it is the front of the
house I'd like it to look good all year round.

Cheers

Colin

Old 16-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone recommend a good climber that will grow at the front of my
house on an East facing wall .

We have a honeysuckle there at the moment but this has just got very
woody and ugly.

The position does seem to be a bit open and gets the wind whipping
through some times.

Soil is neutral.

If at all possible I'd like an everygreen as it is the front of the
house I'd like it to look good all year round.

Cheers

Colin

Keep the honeysuckle, but smaller, cut it back hard then keep it pruned back
and don't let it get a mess in future, then plant something else such as
Holboelia latifolia which has handsome evergreen leaves and highly scented
flowers in spring and early summer, another with good evergreen foliage is
Hydrangea serratifolia, H. seemannii probably wont like the wind exposure
but if it would grow is another attractive climber. Also consider tall
evergreen shrubs tied back as climbers as many climbers can look tatty in
exposed locations.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk