Old 15-11-2005, 05:10 PM
adm

Default Is it too late to scarify ?

As the header says, is it now too late to scarify my lawn this year ? We had
the first frost (South Surrey) yesterday and I have been told it needs to be
done by then by some, and that it doesn't matter by others....

Old 15-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Ian Keeling

adm wrote:
As the header says, is it now too late to scarify my lawn this year ? We had
the first frost (South Surrey) yesterday and I have been told it needs to be
done by then by some, and that it doesn't matter by others....

Aside from the issue as to whether it's right to scarify before or after
first frost, I think if I scarified now (that the ground is fairly soft
after the rain we've had) there wouldn't be much "lawn" left - I think
the scarifying rake would tear out too much of the grass... I wouldn't
have the nerve and would rather wait till the live grass has a bit more
anchorage before trying to remove the dead stuff.
Old 15-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Mike Lyle

Ian Keeling wrote:
adm wrote:
As the header says, is it now too late to scarify my lawn this

year
? We had the first frost (South Surrey) yesterday and I have been
told it needs to be done by then by some, and that it doesn't

matter
by others....

Aside from the issue as to whether it's right to scarify before or
after first frost, I think if I scarified now (that the ground is
fairly soft after the rain we've had) there wouldn't be much "lawn"
left - I think the scarifying rake would tear out too much of the
grass... I wouldn't have the nerve and would rather wait till the
live grass has a bit more anchorage before trying to remove the

dead
stuff.

It's your lawn, not mine; but are you sure you need to scarify at
all? I suppose your lawn has a bad case of thatchy stuff or moss
interfering with the green bits. Otherwise, there must be more useful
ways of getting exercise.

--
Mike.

Old 15-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:10:22 -0000, "adm" wrote:

As the header says, is it now too late to scarify my lawn this year ? We had
the first frost (South Surrey) yesterday and I have been told it needs to be
done by then by some, and that it doesn't matter by others....

Scarifying when done well is a pretty brutal process, and your lawn
will look awful afterwards. But it recovers quickly enough when the
grass is still active. But it's a bit late, as the grass won't be
growing much now the cold weather's here. Best done in September,
which is when I did mine. Took off about three times as much grass
compared to a normal cut!

--
Chris

Old 16-11-2005, 08:51 AM
adm

"Ian Keeling" wrote in message
adm wrote:
As the header says, is it now too late to scarify my lawn this year ? We
had the first frost (South Surrey) yesterday and I have been told it
needs to be done by then by some, and that it doesn't matter by
others....

Aside from the issue as to whether it's right to scarify before or after
first frost, I think if I scarified now (that the ground is fairly soft
after the rain we've had) there wouldn't be much "lawn" left - I think the
scarifying rake would tear out too much of the grass... I wouldn't have
the nerve and would rather wait till the live grass has a bit more
anchorage before trying to remove the dead stuff.

Thanks. I wouldn't actually have done it until the ground was less
waterlogged anyway, but your point is well taken.

Old 16-11-2005, 08:53 AM
adm

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Ian Keeling wrote:
adm wrote:
[...]

:-)

Yep - lots of thatch and quite a bit of moss in some areas. Some of it is
good, but some of it is very springy and thatchy.

Anyway - I think I'll leave it until spring. And hiring a petrol scarifyer
is a definite - there's 800 square metres to do.

--
Mike.

Old 17-11-2005, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

Chris Hogg wrote:
Took off about three times as much grass
compared to a normal cut!

That's about what I get as well. 3 times is a lot of green stuff to get
rid of - I don't put it on the compost, it goes over the hedge ;-)

--
Tim C.
Old 17-11-2005, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

martin wrote:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:58:53 +0000, "Tim C."
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
Took off about three times as much grass
compared to a normal cut!

That's about what I get as well. 3 times is a lot of green stuff to get
rid of - I don't put it on the compost, it goes over the hedge ;-)

With the humanely disposed of slugs and snails?

Er, yes. :-) I throw the larger snails as far as I can into the
cornfield ... slugs normally get sliced and composted.

--
Tim C.

How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
is it too late to scarify this year? J99 United Kingdom 4 16-12-2004 04:21 PM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM