GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Winter Window Box (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/109135-winter-window-box.html)

Molly[_1_] 17-11-2005 12:05 PM

Winter Window Box

Hello
My partner has expressed an interest in growing herbs in a window box (London living=no garden)so i was thinking of buying him one for christmas. I am a completely ignorant gardener so don't even know if it's a good time of year to plant anything & if so what herbs should I put in it?
Any help would be greatly apreciated!
Many

La puce 17-11-2005 02:26 PM

Winter Window Box

Molly wrote:
Hello
My partner has expressed an interest in growing herbs in a window box
(London living=no garden)so i was thinking of buying him one for
christmas. I am a completely ignorant gardener so don't even know if
it's a good time of year to plant anything & if so what herbs should I
put in it?
Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Hello Molly. Below is a wonderful site where you can get started. Once
you've read and digested all this, and made your choice of herbs,
perhaps your questions will be more precised. For a start though you
can grow *any* herbs as long as they get plenty of sunshine and you can
water them everyday.

http://www.gardenersclub.co.uk/growingherbs.asp

JennyC 17-11-2005 03:30 PM

Winter Window Box

"Molly" wrote in message

Hello
My partner has expressed an interest in growing herbs in a window box
(London living=no garden)so i was thinking of buying him one for
christmas. I am a completely ignorant gardener so don't even know if
it's a good time of year to plant anything & if so what herbs should I
put in it?
Any help would be greatly apreciated!
Many
Molly

Most herbs like sun.
The indoor window box sounds good :~)
I'd buy chives, parsley and maybe basil (plants) in the supermarket to put in
it. You can replace them as they get used up / stop growing.
Then in spring you can plant seeds for summer........
Jenny