Old 22-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Registered User

Default Rolawns lawn not taking - been down 4 weeks now

Heello,

I laid 40 sq meters of rolawns turf 4 weeks ago. Its growing really well, and is nice and lush green. However I lifted the edges up and it has still not taken to the top soil.

There are a few roots showing through but not much. And non of them are holding to the soil. I pul it up lightly and it comes up straight away.

Is there any reason why it hasnt taken yet? Maybe i need to fertilize with something?

Also shall i give it a trim now? It is about 2 and a half inches high now.

Cheers.
Old 22-11-2005, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from roonster contains these words:

I laid 40 sq meters of rolawns turf 4 weeks ago. Its growing really
well, and is nice and lush green. However I lifted the edges up and it
has still not taken to the top soil.

What do you expect? a miracle?

There are a few roots showing through but not much. And non of them are
holding to the soil. I pul it up lightly and it comes up straight away.

As one would expect.

Is there any reason why it hasnt taken yet?

Yes - even in the height of growth you'd be expecting too much. At this
time of year, growth is slow, or even nonexistent.

Maybe i need to fertilize
with something?

No.

Also shall i give it a trim now? It is about 2 and a half inches high
now.

Trim the top off if you must - don't cut it right down. What
photosynthesis takes place at this time of year will be required to
maintain the roots, and start them growing in the spring.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 23-11-2005, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
thisisitnow

If you are going to cut, do not use a flymo type, as it will suck the
lawn up like a carpet.

Cut with a cylinder mower.

Personally I would not touch it until the spring.

These sorts of turf have already been heavily fertilised by the
suppliers, so do not add any more. Thats why I always use a local
supplier who I know, and who apply only a light feed.
Old 23-11-2005, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper

"thisisitnow" wrote in message
If you are going to cut, do not use a flymo type, as it will suck the
lawn up like a carpet.

Cut with a cylinder mower.

Personally I would not touch it until the spring.

These sorts of turf have already been heavily fertilised by the
suppliers, so do not add any more. Thats why I always use a local
supplier who I know, and who apply only a light feed.

Fertilise with an autumn feed this will do it no harm realy you should have
applied an autumn feed to the soil prior to turfing

Old 23-11-2005, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

pied piper wrote:
"thisisitnow" wrote in message
If you are going to cut, do not use a flymo type, as it will suck

the
lawn up like a carpet.

Cut with a cylinder mower.

Personally I would not touch it until the spring.

Agreed.

These sorts of turf have already been heavily fertilised by the
suppliers, so do not add any more. Thats why I always use a local
supplier who I know, and who apply only a light feed.

Fertilise with an autumn feed this will do it no harm realy you
should have applied an autumn feed to the soil prior to turfing

I don't really think so, unless the soil is genuinely impoverished.
Too much feed _can_ do harm, and is certainly a waste outside the
growing season. Many lawns are overfed to the point of obesity,
anyhow: they rarely need extra nourishment -- certainly not the
constant annual applications which are designed to stimulate
fertiliser companies into lush growth and give gardening writers
something to write about.

Much more important is to prepare the soil into a loose but settled
tilth before the turf arrives -- exactly the same as for sowing seed.
Which is why seed is usually not only better, not only cheaper, but
actually less work. Having said that, though, I simply say relax and
let the stuff grow: you can get away with murder.

--
Mike.

Old 24-11-2005, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
pied piper wrote:
[...]

So all the experts are wrong about fertiliser and you are right dont be so
cynical

Old 24-11-2005, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "pied piper" contains these words:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

/snip/

[...]

Mike is right.

Old 24-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the reply guys. THink ill let it settle in till next year before the first cut.
Old 24-11-2005, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

In article , pied piper
writes
So all the experts are wrong about fertiliser and you are right dont be so
cynical

I wish people would post reasoning in support of their diktats. The only
way I can judge whether PP's or Mike's advice is the better is by the
supporting arguments and respective posting histories on urg - in this
respect Mike has the edge!

--
Kay

Old 24-11-2005, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , pied piper
writes
So all the experts are wrong about fertiliser and you are right dont be so
cynical

I wish people would post reasoning in support of their diktats. The only
way I can judge whether PP's or Mike's advice is the better is by the
supporting arguments and respective posting histories on urg - in this
respect Mike has the edge!

--
Kay

So the last 25 years I have been wrong to feed my golf greens,bowling
greens,cricket squares,football pitches,rugby pitches,ornamental lawns and
various other turf areas.

Old 24-11-2005, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 24/11/05 6:14 pm, in article ,
"pied piper" wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , pied piper
writes
So all the experts are wrong about fertiliser and you are right dont be so
cynical

I wish people would post reasoning in support of their diktats. The only
way I can judge whether PP's or Mike's advice is the better is by the
supporting arguments and respective posting histories on urg - in this
respect Mike has the edge!

--
Kay

So the last 25 years I have been wrong to feed my golf greens,bowling
greens,cricket squares,football pitches,rugby pitches,ornamental lawns and
various other turf areas.

As Kay says, we know Mike Lyle and the quality of his advice. With respect
to you, we know nothing about you, other than that you appear to want an
argument, and that's rather tiresome if you can't back up your 'expertise'
with some hard information. And we only have your (unknown) word for the
rather sweeping claims you make above.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-11-2005, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
On 24/11/05 6:14 pm, in article
, "pied piper"
wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , pied piper
writes
So all the experts are wrong about fertiliser and you are right
dont be so cynical

I wish people would post reasoning in support of their diktats.

The
only way I can judge whether PP's or Mike's advice is the better

is
by the supporting arguments and respective posting histories on

urg
- in this respect Mike has the edge!

--
Kay
"Do not insult the crocodile until you have crossed the

river"

So the last 25 years I have been wrong to feed my golf

greens,bowling
greens,cricket squares,football pitches,rugby pitches,ornamental
lawns and various other turf areas.

As Kay says, we know Mike Lyle and the quality of his advice. With
respect to you, we know nothing about you, other than that you

appear
to want an argument, and that's rather tiresome if you can't back

up
your 'expertise' with some hard information. And we only have your
(unknown) word for the rather sweeping claims you make above.

This is kind of fellow-urglers. I'll absolutely stand by my thinking
on the specific original question. On the broader issue of whether
lawns are often over-fed, I stand by that, too. But PP has a point
when it comes to those sports surfaces which have their top growth
removed very often (in some, I've heard, several times a day!) and
very short. These are special cases. First-class cricket pitches in
particular are plain weird, horticulturally speaking. But we were
talking about a _lawn_. I think it's highly misguided to treat all
grassed areas the same way: with a "one size fits all" policy he's
probably wasting money at best.

--
Mike.

Old 24-11-2005, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "pied piper" contains these words:
"Kay" wrote in message
In article , pied piper
writes
So all the experts are wrong about fertiliser and you are right dont be so
cynical

I wish people would post reasoning in support of their diktats. The only
way I can judge whether PP's or Mike's advice is the better is by the
supporting arguments and respective posting histories on urg - in this
respect Mike has the edge!

So the last 25 years I have been wrong to feed my golf greens,bowling
greens,cricket squares,football pitches,rugby pitches,ornamental lawns and
various other turf areas.

That rather depends when you were feeding them, with what, and how much.
Yo chip in with a comment and get an adverse reaction, then you come
back with a sweeping statement which has no relevance to the previous
discussion.

You remind me of the person who accused me of 'spreading germs about'
when I squeezed out the washing-up mop and fluffed it out, to allow air
into it.

I told him that it prevented anaerobic bacteria from multiplying amongst
the wet fibres. He really didn't like being contradicted - pointed at
the St' John's badge on his uniform and asked: "What do you think this
is?"

What the knowall didn't know was that I also had a St. John's
certificate, and knew that such topics were no part of the first-aid
syllabus...

Old 24-11-2005, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 24/11/05 7:27 pm, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 24/11/05 6:14 pm, in article
, "pied piper"
wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , pied piper
writes
[...]

And that strikes me as very fair comment.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-11-2005, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mikey

Logic (doesn't always apply in gardening I know, but) would imply that
a certain amount of 'starvation' might make the roots grow a bit more
in search of nutrients

....just my 2p's worth

Father, it has been three weeks since my last rainfall.... David WE Roberts United Kingdom 13 07-09-2009 11:22 AM
Turn $5.00 into $50,000 in a few weeks. This DOES work. I'm not selling anything. [email protected] Bonsai 0 27-02-2005 09:01 PM
hybrid T not taking John Roses 4 17-03-2004 02:41 AM
Sabal Palm planted but not taking off [email protected] Gardening 1 26-11-2003 07:02 PM
need lawn that only needs cutting every three weeks or longer john agner Lawns 1 23-10-2003 02:34 AM