Old 25-11-2005, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
**bg**

Default Novice questions re growing tomatoes from seed

From many floors up (covered balcony facing west, max about 8 hours sun in
summer), on the west coast of Canadar, we are figuring folks in yer climb at
this ng will have some advice 4us...

Planning to start some plants from seeds early next year. Have had success
in the past, but find they get a bit leggy indoors during early months.

Wondering if anyone has experience at starting them later, say right
outdoors, in containers, from seed.

Cheers

-bg-
www.tlchb.ca

Old 26-11-2005, 01:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message M6Lhf.621948$tl2.302927@pd7tw3no
from "**bg**" contains these words:

From many floors up (covered balcony facing west, max about 8 hours sun in
summer), on the west coast of Canadar, we are figuring folks in yer
climb at
this ng will have some advice 4us...

Planning to start some plants from seeds early next year. Have had success
in the past, but find they get a bit leggy indoors during early months.

Wondering if anyone has experience at starting them later, say right
outdoors, in containers, from seed.

Yes - here, they don't do too well. Certainly this summer, I put out
tomatoes only a little late, and most of the plants were dying off
before I'd had three tomatoes from seven plants.

Where you are, you might be better off though.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 04-12-2005, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
**bg**

in summer), on the west coast of Canadar, we are figuring folks in yer
climb at this ng will have some advice 4us...

Planning to start some plants from seeds early next year. Have had
success in the past, but find they get a bit leggy indoors during early
months.

Wondering if anyone has experience at starting them later, say right
outdoors, in containers, from seed.

Try a newsgroup aimed at the americas.

This one is for people who live in england.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Study shows that there is no area in the Americas that comes close to our
Canadian 'west coast marine' climate.

In fact, the only area on earth with similar climb is that of (much of) the
UK; ergo the enquiry in this newsgroup.

Newsgroups have been international and open by design since the internet's
inauguration eh.

Cheers

-bg-
www.lchb.ca

Cheers

-bg-

www.tlchb.ca

Old 04-12-2005, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 4/12/05 10:10, in article Jgzkf.35362$Eq5.14503@pd7tw1no, "**bg**"

[...]

The climate in Vancouver is rather similar to ours in the south west of UK,
I believe. I have friends living there and when I visited was surprised to
see how much alike our gardens were. Quite often when they email us, we
find that we're having very similar weather. Their big advantage is that
if they felt like it, they could just drive up the road a bit and go
skiing!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-12-2005, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message Jgzkf.35362$Eq5.14503@pd7tw1no
from "**bg**" contains these words:

Study shows that there is no area in the Americas that comes close to our
Canadian 'west coast marine' climate.

In fact, the only area on earth with similar climb is that of (much of) the
UK; ergo the enquiry in this newsgroup.

Seems reasonable then.

Newsgroups have been international and open by design since the internet's
inauguration eh.

Quite so, but a UK gardening group is seldom the place to place
questions or 'help' about other areas of the globe. Your situation might
be an exception, so let's re-examine the original question:

Planning to start some plants from seeds early next year. Have had
success in the past, but find they get a bit leggy indoors during early
months.

They will, unless you can give them warmth and extra daylight spectrum
light, probably even during daylight hours.

Wondering if anyone has experience at starting them later, say right
outdoors, in containers, from seed.

Yes, and you can more-or-less forget it unless you hit a lucky Indian
summer. It's best to start them in February (IME) and put them out as
early as possible. It may mean putting them under something like a big
bell-cloche during some nights though.

I'm looking at twinwall polycarbonate or even triwall for making such,
and a greenhouse made from triwall is already taking shape in my head,
tomatoes aforethought.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 04-12-2005, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

.uk...

[...]

I have to say that I did not publish my comments about Canada not being the
uk, it was sent in a personal email.

Alan

Old 04-12-2005, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 4/12/05 15:47, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...

snip
I have to say that I did not publish my comments about Canada not being the
uk, it was sent in a personal email.

Alan

Perhaps bg doesn't know that private emails are supposed to be just that?
Though if they are insulting or troublemaking, or indeed, someone lies to a
group about the content of an email they've received, my personal view on
that sort of behaviour is "publish and be damned". ;-)
Nonetheless, the climate of e.g. Vancouver really is very like parts of UK,
so I don't think bg is being unreasonable in talking to a UK group really,
do you?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-12-2005, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Though if they are insulting or troublemaking, or indeed, someone lies to

group

LIES TO THE GROUP???????????

who on earth would do that??????????????????

Of course SOME people accuse others of lying and then do not have the guts
to say just what those people are lying about

do you sacha?

Old 04-12-2005, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 4/12/05 15:47, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...

snip
I have to say that I did not publish my comments about Canada not being
the
uk, it was sent in a personal email.

Alan

Perhaps bg doesn't know that private emails are supposed to be just that?
Though if they are insulting or troublemaking, or indeed, someone lies to
group about the content of an email they've received, my personal view on
that sort of behaviour is "publish and be damned". ;-)
Nonetheless, the climate of e.g. Vancouver really is very like parts of
UK,
so I don't think bg is being unreasonable in talking to a UK group really,
do you?

That I didn't know, but we do get people from the usa asking about our
climate regions, the do not understand we have weather!

Alan

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-12-2005, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

From: "Alan Holmes"

Try a newsgroup aimed at the americas.

This one is for people who live in england.

Alan

No, it isn't. "uk" stands for United Kingdom. England is only one of
the countries within the United Kingdom. But in any case, this group is
not restricted to people who live in the UK.

I stand corrected and I prostrate myself before you!(:-)

Alan

Janet

Old 04-12-2005, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
middleton.walker

That I didn't know, but we do get people from the usa asking about our
climate regions, they do not understand we have weather!

Alan

When you say 'they' do you mean most of them or all of them.....I, for
example, understand that you have weather perhaps as well as you do and I am
in the USA...H

Old 04-12-2005, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"middleton.walker" wrote in message
. ..

That I didn't know, but we do get people from the usa asking about our
climate regions, they do not understand we have weather!

Alan

When you say 'they' do you mean most of them or all of them.....I, for
example, understand that you have weather perhaps as well as you do and I
am in the USA...H

The sentence is pretty clear, 'they' refers to the people in the usa who ask
about the climate regions.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 04-12-2005, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
middleton.walker

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 4/12/05 15:47, in article , "

That I didn't know, but we do get people from the usa asking about our
climate regions, the do not understand we have weather!

Alan

On Google I typed in English climate and then English weather...got many
more 'hits' with English climate than with English weather

Old 04-12-2005, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
middleton.walker

"middleton.walker" wrote in message
news

On Google I typed in English climate and then English weather...got many
more 'hits' with English climate than with English weather

Talking about English weather....a few years back I was biking from Weymouth
to Plymouth before pedalling my ass to York...the weather was
crappy....drizzling and windy...all of a sudden the weather cleared a wee
bit and the sun came thru and just at that moment a lady on here bike was
passing by on the other side of the road...had to smile to myself at her
comment.....'nice day'...a few minutes later the sun dissapeared and the
drizzle came on again...H

Old 04-12-2005, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "middleton.walker" contains these words:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 4/12/05 15:47, in article , "

That I didn't know, but we do get people from the usa asking about our
climate regions, the do not understand we have weather!

Alan

On Google I typed in English climate and then English weather...got many
more 'hits' with English climate than with English weather

Far more people looking for it, I suppose. Weather's easy to find.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig