Old 26-11-2005, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Harris_Tweed

Default At what temperature does grass start growing?

One of the few consolations of winter is that we can put away our lawn
mowers for a few months. However, as we all know, lawns will put on a
little growth during spells of mild winter weather. I remember
somebody telling me, donkey's years ago, that grass starts growing at a
precise temperature ...somewhere in the 50s Fahrenheit, if I remember
correctly. Does anyone know the precise figure?

Old 26-11-2005, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "Harris_Tweed" contains these words:

One of the few consolations of winter is that we can put away our lawn
mowers for a few months. However, as we all know, lawns will put on a
little growth during spells of mild winter weather. I remember
somebody telling me, donkey's years ago, that grass starts growing at a
precise temperature ...somewhere in the 50s Fahrenheit, if I remember
correctly. Does anyone know the precise figure?

You should ask The Boy - you know he always solves your cases...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 26-11-2005, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Harris_Tweed" wrote in message
oups.com...
One of the few consolations of winter is that we can put away our lawn
mowers for a few months. However, as we all know, lawns will put on a
little growth during spells of mild winter weather. I remember
somebody telling me, donkey's years ago, that grass starts growing at a
precise temperature ...somewhere in the 50s Fahrenheit, if I remember
correctly. Does anyone know the precise figure?

Apparently not all grasses grow at the same temperature!
This site has MASSES of info: http://www.lawngrasses.com/info/temp-map.html
(OK it's American, but still.....)

and came across this :~))

There's a whole lot that is more exciting than watching grass grow. Two examples
would be watching milk curdle or paint peel. Grass grows very, very slowly -
approximately 3-5 inches per week depending on temperature, fertility, moisture
conditions, and season. That's about seven hundredths of an inch a day, three
thousandths of an inch an hour, five millionths of an inch per minute or eight
trillionths of an inch per second. This is not enough movement for the human eye
to register. Pretty boring.

Jenny "~)

Old 26-11-2005, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
Harris_Tweed wrote:
One of the few consolations of winter is that we can put away our lawn
mowers for a few months. However, as we all know, lawns will put on a
little growth during spells of mild winter weather. I remember
somebody telling me, donkey's years ago, that grass starts growing at a
precise temperature ...somewhere in the 50s Fahrenheit, if I remember
correctly. Does anyone know the precise figure?

That is not a question.

There is no precise figure, as the temperature sensitivity of grass
depends on the species, variety and conditions. Most native and
naturalised grasses will grow as long as they are not actually
frozen - it is the lack of light that stops them growing in the
winter, not the cold.

Not growing until the temperature reaches the 50s Fahrenheit is
typical of sub-tropical and tropical plants, and would be certain
death for a wild, perennial species in the UK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-11-2005, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
JennyC wrote:

There's a whole lot that is more exciting than watching grass grow. Two examples
would be watching milk curdle or paint peel. Grass grows very, very slowly -
approximately 3-5 inches per week depending on temperature, fertility, moisture
conditions, and season. That's about seven hundredths of an inch a day, three
thousandths of an inch an hour, five millionths of an inch per minute or eight
trillionths of an inch per second. This is not enough movement for the human eye
to register. Pretty boring.

In the UK, in a typical winter, that is more like 0.3-0.5" a MONTH,
due to the low light levels. That is why, despite grass growing all
winter, it doesn't need cutting. 3-5" a week is pretty high for UK
lawn grasses, and I would put it at half that, even in a warm, damp
summer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 26-11-2005, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Grass grows very, very slowly -
approximately 3-5 inches per week depending on temperature, fertility,
moisture
conditions, and season. That's about seven hundredths of an inch a
day, three
thousandths of an inch an hour, five millionths of an inch per minute
or eight
trillionths of an inch per second.

Something tells me that maths was not your best subject at school....
Janet

Indeed!
I blame it on the math teachers bad breath........
Jenny

Old 26-11-2005, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gb

I always reckon on 7 to 8 deg C for an average of 3 days, night and
day temperatures, stops the grass from growing. Likewise but in
reverse to start growing and needing a cut.

Which therefore means I will be cutting my grass on Xmas day probably
this year.

I always get asked this, on my rounds. It used to be end of October no
more regular cutting, but its now well into Nov. Similarly I start
cutting regularly mid March as opposed to end of March.

Old 27-11-2005, 05:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message .com
from "Harris_Tweed" contains these words:

One of the few consolations of winter is that we can put away our lawn
mowers for a few months. However, as we all know, lawns will put on a
little growth during spells of mild winter weather. I remember
somebody telling me, donkey's years ago, that grass starts growing at a
precise temperature ...somewhere in the 50s Fahrenheit, if I remember
correctly. Does anyone know the precise figure?

Farmers here (Scotland) reckon established pasture requires day
temps of 55 in order to make new growth.

Janet

Soil temperature 4 degrees and above is the average for most species.
I have found with the warmer winters we are cutting grass virtually all year
round.
There was a time when come October I would send all my machinery for
overhaul and not get it back til March.
Now its a case of sending machinery in for about one week in January.

Old 27-11-2005, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
pied piper wrote:

Soil temperature 4 degrees and above is the average for most species.
I have found with the warmer winters we are cutting grass virtually all year
round.
There was a time when come October I would send all my machinery for
overhaul and not get it back til March.
Now its a case of sending machinery in for about one week in January.

On the other hand, the AMOUNT it grows between the end of October and
the beginning of March is pretty small. I don't know exactly how
important the factors of low light level and low temperature are,
but am certain that the former is the main constraint in warm winters.
And, of course, it will clearly depend on species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-11-2005, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
pied piper wrote:

Soil temperature 4 degrees and above is the average for most species.
I have found with the warmer winters we are cutting grass virtually all
year
round.
There was a time when come October I would send all my machinery for
overhaul and not get it back til March.
Now its a case of sending machinery in for about one week in January.

On the other hand, the AMOUNT it grows between the end of October and
the beginning of March is pretty small. I don't know exactly how
important the factors of low light level and low temperature are,
but am certain that the former is the main constraint in warm winters.
And, of course, it will clearly depend on species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

cricket squares and soccer pitches were growing at a rate of an inch every
week right up until the first hard frost here last week.
October this year had more hours of sunshine than we normally get for
september.
Been taking more grass off in October than any other month this year

Old 27-11-2005, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

I picked up a minimum growth temperature of 43 deg F for a British lawn
which ties in with gb's figures.
Regards
David T

Old 27-11-2005, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
david taylor wrote:
I picked up a minimum growth temperature of 43 deg F for a British lawn
which ties in with gb's figures.

It also ties in with the altitude limits on grass in the UK, but
is still not a hard limit. Hardy grass will grow slowly at lower
temperatures. Above that temperature, the limit is likely to be
the light levels in winter - below that, probably the temperature.
Very roughly. I have seen discussions of these effects in some
scientific papers, but not the results of actual experiment.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.