Old 28-11-2005, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Atkinson

Default Silver lining

Sounds great
What about salt content ??
Tom Atkinson
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

...to all those clouds, leaf-stripping gales and rough seas last week,
is the fantastic free harvest lying on beaches here. It's a combination
of tree leaves (washed down the burns to the sea) , fresh seaweed and
shells, all pulverised and ground up by heavy seas into loose, friable
black mulch. Best of all, it's been thrown right to the top of the
beach in great windrows close to the road, ready to bag up and load in
the car. It's almost the consistency of home-made compost. Today was
superb, calm and very sunny, and now the garden beds are piled with
black hills of mulch tipped from the sacks, ready for spreading.

Janet

Old 29-11-2005, 01:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Gabriel

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
Crofters on the west-Scotland coast, where soil is often very thin,

traditionally planted potatoes on a mound of seaweed. The mounds were
called lazybeds, must have been named by someone who had never done it
:-) Potatoes grown with seaweed taste marvellous.

Janet

Do you still have to salt the water when boiling them? ;o)

--
Regards,
Alan

Preserve wildlife - pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 29-11-2005, 05:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Crofters on the west-Scotland coast, where soil is often very thin,
traditionally planted potatoes on a mound of seaweed. The mounds were
called lazybeds, must have been named by someone who had never done it
:-) Potatoes grown with seaweed taste marvellous.

Ahem! Lazybeds were strips of soil with the areas beside them dug out to
make a trench. The spoil from the trench was put on the bed.

In successive years the beds would be fertilised by using the previous
year's compost. This was traditionally started in the spring, when the
byre was mucked-out and the thatch pulled off and replaced with new. To
this was added loads of seaweed.

Pics of the house I nearly bought on the Isle of Lewis, clearly showing
the old pattern of lazybeds at:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/lewis/ and look at the line of
thumbnail links 'The Croft and Crofthouse'.

--
Rusty
Old 29-11-2005, 05:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Gabriel" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
Crofters on the west-Scotland coast, where soil is often very thin,

traditionally planted potatoes on a mound of seaweed. The mounds were
called lazybeds, must have been named by someone who had never done it
:-) Potatoes grown with seaweed taste marvellous.

Janet

Do you still have to salt the water when boiling them? ;o)

I never salt the water anyway - the last box of Maldon Sea Salt I bought
has lasted me nearly ten years.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 29-11-2005, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
:-) Potatoes grown with seaweed taste marvellous.

Janet

Do you still have to salt the water when boiling them? ;o)

I never salt the water anyway - the last box of Maldon Sea Salt I
bought has lasted me nearly ten years.

Ah - a man who knows the secret of a healthy life!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 29-11-2005, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Do you still have to salt the water when boiling them? ;o)

I never salt the water anyway - the last box of Maldon Sea Salt I
bought has lasted me nearly ten years.

Ah - a man who knows the secret of a healthy life!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

and another one here :-))

Hardly any salt in anything and almost everything fat free. Plenty of fruit
and fibre and trying to lose another half a stone before we go away.

Mike
The truth will prevail

Old 29-11-2005, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Mike" wrote in message

Do you still have to salt the water when boiling them? ;o)

I never salt the water anyway - the last box of Maldon Sea Salt I
bought has lasted me nearly ten years.

Ah - a man who knows the secret of a healthy life!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

and another one here :-))

Hardly any salt in anything and almost everything fat free. Plenty of
fruit
and fibre and trying to lose another half a stone before we go away.

Mike
The truth will prevail

That's an amazing diet. Fat free - Do you mean low fat ?
As for salt and other salts you are probably eating more than think.
Plenty of fruits which contain much more fat than you think.
Finally added fibre (bran) can be harmful to your ability to absorb certain
vitamins.

At this rate you could be dead and gone within the week.

Old 29-11-2005, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

That's an amazing diet. Fat free - Do you mean low fat ?

As low fat as possible. Very interesting statement on the front of some
Yogurt pots "FAT FREE", then round the back in the section contents "FAT
01Gr" Now that to me is NOT Fat Free. Low Fat yes, or even very low fat :-))

As for salt and other salts you are probably eating more than think.

Yes I agree there as well. Look at any packaging and there is aways salt in
its content. What I mean is that I do not tip loads of salt on my food.

Plenty of fruits which contain much more fat than you think.
Finally added fibre (bran) can be harmful to your ability to absorb

certain
vitamins.

At this rate you could be dead and gone within the week.

Taking all of the last statements together some people may be pleased to see
me dead within the week, but according to my doctor I won't be, at least by
diet and how I was the last time he did a check up. I will take my doctors
advice because according to him, it is 'In his own interest to keep me
alive'.

All I know is that I am going to have to say 'No' to a lot of the food
whilst I am away :-((

Mike
The truth will prevail

Old 29-11-2005, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Mike" wrote in message

That's an amazing diet. Fat free - Do you mean low fat ?

As low fat as possible. Very interesting statement on the front of some
Yogurt pots "FAT FREE", then round the back in the section contents "FAT
01Gr" Now that to me is NOT Fat Free. Low Fat yes, or even very low fat
:-))

[...]

OK glad we agree. Whilst on this salt subject you may have noticed that a
lot of products state the sodium content which you need to multiply by
approx 2.5 to find out the actual salt content as sodium chloride. I've
always wondered whether it's to much sodium anything that is bad for you or
just sodium in the form of sodium chloride.
Sodium citrate /bicarbonate/phosphate etc etc are all widely used in
foodstuffs.

Old 29-11-2005, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

OK glad we agree. Whilst on this salt subject you may have noticed that a
lot of products state the sodium content which you need to multiply by
approx 2.5 to find out the actual salt content as sodium chloride. I've
always wondered whether it's to much sodium anything that is bad for you

or
just sodium in the form of sodium chloride.
Sodium citrate /bicarbonate/phosphate etc etc are all widely used in
foodstuffs.

Chemical symbols and chemical names are not my cup of tea and are a forigan
language. I thought Salt and Sodium were the same thing. Thanks for the info
:-)) I 'thought' I understood chemical analysis and joining of chemical
compounds when I was at Bath University, but no. Lost in space of time :-))

Mike
The truth will prevail

Old 29-11-2005, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Klara contains these words:
In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

:-) Potatoes grown with seaweed taste marvellous.

Janet

Do you still have to salt the water when boiling them? ;o)

I never salt the water anyway - the last box of Maldon Sea Salt I
bought has lasted me nearly ten years.

Ah - a man who knows the secret of a healthy life!

Well, one of them. Sometimes I add a bit of salt if I find myself
getting cramp during the night.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-11-2005, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:
"Mike" wrote in message

Do you still have to salt the water when boiling them? ;o)

I never salt the water anyway - the last box of Maldon Sea Salt I
bought has lasted me nearly ten years.

Ah - a man who knows the secret of a healthy life!

and another one here :-))

Hardly any salt in anything and almost everything fat free. Plenty of
fruit
and fibre and trying to lose another half a stone before we go away.

Mike
The truth will prevail

That's an amazing diet. Fat free - Do you mean low fat ?
As for salt and other salts you are probably eating more than think.
Plenty of fruits which contain much more fat than you think.
Finally added fibre (bran) can be harmful to your ability to absorb certain
vitamins.

I use a fair amount of fat, and often have (say) a sausage, bacon, black
pudding, white puding and fried leftover potato for breakfart (ToBAGO)

I don't eat a lot of processed or manufactured food. That excludes bacon
and black pudding, and I make my own white pudding and similar things.

Avocados contain plenty of fat.

And I avoid anything with 'added fibre' as I reckon I get enough - use
wholemeal flour as much as possible, plenty of veg, etc.

At this rate you could be dead and gone within the week.

And I'm still invisible, viewed sideways...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 30-11-2005, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Sacha wrote:
Seaweed was the fertiliser of choice for farmers in Jersey growing Jersey
Royals, time past. Some are returning to using it now, thank goodness. All
they did was chuck it on and let weather and nature do the rest.

cough Seaweeds are very effective absorbers of marine pollutants, and
concerns over environmental pollution have considerable implications
for the commercial harvesting of Scottish wild plants for food, fodder
and medicinal purposes, as well as for mulches and fertilisers. There
is some concern about the contamination of seaweeds on the West coast
of Scotland (at least in the southern part of the country) with
radioactive isotopes from the Sellafield power station. For example,
several seaweed species act as bioaccumulators of heavy metals, and
Fucus vesiculosus (bladder wrack) growing off Islay has been found to
be contaminated with Technetium 99. As to the damage to the ecosystem,
perhaps that's another conversation. Bon appetit )

Old 30-11-2005, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 30/11/05 14:35, in article
, "La puce"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Oh dear, how depressing. And the CIs are pretty close to Cap de la Hague.
On that theme, I went with a group to visit the Nuclear Fuel plant there and
we were given a marvellous lunch. While we were commenting on how delicious
the trout were, someone remarked in a gravelly voice "they were the size of
goldfish this morning". It wasn't easy to explain that to our French hosts,
under the circumstances!
If, in terms of damage to the ecosystem you're thinking of harvesting the
seaweed, as far as I know they way that's done now is simply to pick up
what's been washed up by the autumn storms. I don't *think* anyone goes
down at very low water to cut it as they did once.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Every cloud has a silver lining... Jeff Layman[_2_] United Kingdom 5 15-05-2016 12:54 PM
Lining Bottom of Planter with Wood Chips Mark Anderson Gardening 3 23-04-2005 01:59 AM
lining pond Steve and Lisa Ponds 10 12-04-2004 03:36 PM
Lining of pond with sheet plastic Pickmaster Ponds 6 19-06-2003 06:40 AM
why do I need a lining? gerbil Ponds 6 08-04-2003 07:20 PM