Old 28-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Rae Rae is offline
Registered User

Default Red Cascade (Spindle Tree) as a bonsai

I've just received three small Red Cascade plants (Euonymus euorpaeus Red Cascade). The details say they grow to about 9 feet high, but I need to keep them about 3 feet maximum as they will be in pots under a window.

At the moment the plants are just stems, about 12-20 inches long and about 1/4" in diameter, without any flowers or leaves.

I don't know much about gardening or how to prune things. Can anyone give me advice on how to prune them to make them bonsai and keep the height down, while still encouraging foliage and berries?
Old 29-11-2005, 06:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Rae contains these words:

I don't know much about gardening or how to prune things. Can anyone
give me advice on how to prune them to make them bonsai and keep the
height down, while still encouraging foliage and berries?

I'd advise you to get a book out of the library: it's not a subject
which lends itself to potted info'. You prune the roots, BTW, more than
you prune what's above ground.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-11-2005, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Rae" wrote in message

I've just received three small Red Cascade plants (Euonymus euorpaeus
Red Cascade). The details say they grow to about 9 feet high, but I
need to keep them about 3 feet maximum as they will be in pots under a
window.

At the moment the plants are just stems, about 12-20 inches long and
about 1/4" in diameter, without any flowers or leaves.

I don't know much about gardening or how to prune things. Can anyone
give me advice on how to prune them to make them bonsai and keep the
height down, while still encouraging foliage and berries?

--
Rae

I guess you don't really mean bonsai in the true sense.They will withstand
quite hard pruning and I guess you could maintain a height of about 3 feet
without resorting to root pruning.
I suppose you could grow them on in pots which would constrict growth.

Old 29-11-2005, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider

Rupert wrote in message

"Rae" wrote in message

[...]

Hi,

My Euonymous europeus 'Red Cascade' makes *at least* 9ft each year, even
though I coppice it annually after leaf fall. Rae wishes to keep berries as
well as leaves, and I fail to see how he could manage this if he pruned it
often enough to maintain the height at 3ft. Indeed, the only way he might
manage it would be to treat his plants as bonsai. This would mean growing
them in pots rather than a border so that he could access the roots for root
pruning.

There is an approach that could be very successful, but I suspect Rae would
only need one plant. Using a framework of wires on the wall below the
window, the Euonymous could be trained espalier-fashion. This would result
in a good framework so the plant more-or-less evenly covers the wall.
Although inexperienced, I'm sure Rae could tie in branches to the framework
and prune only when the Euonymous out-grew the boundary of the framework.
This would also mean cutting back branches which grew too far forwards, and
cutting out branches which grew backwards toward the wall, but this pruning
is self-explanatory and doesn't require any special technique.

Spider

Old 29-11-2005, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Spider" wrote in message

Rupert wrote in message

"Rae" wrote in message

[...]

Excellent idea and as you say it's not too difficult.
As Rae has three plants then he could experiment with the other two

Old 01-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Rae Rae is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
"Spider" wrote in message

Rupert
wrote in message

"Rae"
wrote in message

[...]

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions, I'm going to put all of them to use. I hadn't realise I might not get berries if I was pruning hard, and also how quickly the plants might grow! I think the framework and keeping in pots are great ideas and will try them out.

Thanks for taking time to reply, as a novice gardener this has encouraged me to give it a try.

All the best,

Rae

spindle tree Willi Garden Photos 0 08-01-2012 06:12 PM
Spindle Tree dafs United Kingdom 3 12-08-2007 10:29 PM
Euonymus Red Cascade Sacha United Kingdom 0 04-02-2006 06:11 PM
[IBC] Question on cascade bonsai style. Ed Spaans Bonsai 7 26-08-2003 05:02 PM
Spindle Tree Camilla Peake United Kingdom 1 12-06-2003 11:32 PM