Old 19-03-2003, 06:08 AM
JennyC

Default Grape hyacinths

I recently received a pot of grape hyacinths which have now finished
flowering (indoors)

A friend would like the bulbs to plant in her garden.
Should I remove the flowers like one would with daffs before letting
them die down ??

Jenny

Old 19-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Paul Kelly

"JennyC" wrote in message
I recently received a pot of grape hyacinths which have now finished
flowering (indoors)

A friend would like the bulbs to plant in her garden.
Should I remove the flowers like one would with daffs before letting
them die down ??

Jenny

Do you like your friend?

Dunno 'bout anyone else but the damned things spread like and invasive weed
in my garden!

pk

Old 19-03-2003, 08:44 AM
JennyC

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message
I recently received a pot of grape hyacinths which have now

finished
flowering (indoors)

A friend would like the bulbs to plant in her garden.
Should I remove the flowers like one would with daffs before

letting
them die down ??

Jenny

Do you like your friend?

Yes !

Dunno 'bout anyone else but the damned things spread like and

invasive weed
in my garden!
pk

I know that, she knows that, but she just loves them :~))
Jenny

Old 19-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Paul Kelly

"JennyC" wrote in message

Dunno 'bout anyone else but the damned things spread like an

invasive weed n my garden!
pk

I know that, she knows that, but she just loves them :~))
Jenny

Takes all sorts! (;-)

pk

Old 19-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Victoria Clare

"JennyC" wrote in news:b5919a$270aso$1@ID-
91345.news.dfncis.de:

I recently received a pot of grape hyacinths which have now finished
flowering (indoors)

A friend would like the bulbs to plant in her garden.
Should I remove the flowers like one would with daffs before letting
them die down ??

Whatever you prefer - unless you actually run the bulbs through a
liquidiser they will cheerfully flower just the same next year!

Victoria

Old 19-03-2003, 02:32 PM
jane taylor

~
~ I recently received a pot of grape hyacinths which have now finished
~ flowering (indoors)
~
~ A friend would like the bulbs to plant in her garden.
~ Should I remove the flowers like one would with daffs before letting
~ them die down ??
~
~Whatever you prefer - unless you actually run the bulbs through a
~liquidiser they will cheerfully flower just the same next year!

I have a very stony and chalky rockery, and grape hyacinths don't
spread at all. Under a ceanothus bush, where there are some more, they
are not doing very well and I suspect they will die very soon. I
bought over a hundred bulbs last autumn to try and get a few more
going... so far all in pots, but as soon as I put them out I'll bet
anything they vanish yet again...

Then again I can't get bluebells to spread, either. About the only
things that do in my garden are welsh poppies, periwinkle (UGH!) and
primroses...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!
Old 19-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Jill

wrote:

[...]

can you get hold of cheap pots -
simply repot once over in bulb compost
keep the pots out of the way during the summer
and then plant pots where you want tham when they start coming up again
As I am waiting to plant up around our poultry pens
I have lots of things tucked away - and as long as they get split or potted
up
I have been amazed at the resilience of so many things

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk
http://www.kintaline.co.uk/cottage

Old 19-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Serendipity

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:54:49 -0000, "Jill"
wrote:

snipped.....
~ I recently received a pot of grape hyacinths which have now finished
~ flowering (indoors)
~
~ A friend would like the bulbs to plant in her garden.
~ Should I remove the flowers like one would with daffs before letting
~ them die down ??

If she really is your friend, I would advise against planting
muscari in the first place. I've been battling against a horde
of the d****d things for over ten years in my quite large gardens
and still they keep popping up

Pity really because they are a beautiful plant; but then that
can be said of almost every plant, couldn't it?...

snipped....

Then again I can't get bluebells to spread, either. About the only
things that do in my garden are welsh poppies, periwinkle (UGH!) and
primroses...

Bluebells - now that I've got them under control - and Primroses
which aren't as yet responding to my almost daily chats, are
probably my favourites.

I supposethat there's a moral there somwhere. No matter how
long one may garden, it's only rarely that perfection may be reached.

Old 19-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Michael Berridge

Serendipity wrote in message

~ A friend would like the bulbs to plant in her garden.
~ Should I remove the flowers like one would with daffs before

letting
~ them die down ??

If she really is your friend, I would advise against planting
muscari in the first place. I've been battling against a horde
of the d****d things for over ten years in my quite large gardens
and still they keep popping up

Pity really because they are a beautiful plant; but then that
can be said of almost every plant, couldn't it?...

Bluebells - now that I've got them under control - and Primroses

which aren't as yet responding to my almost daily chats, areprobably

my favourites.

I supposethat there's a moral there somwhere. No matter how
long one may garden, it's only rarely that perfection may be reached.

I am going to be doing a major throw out of muscari this year, they are,
as has been said so invasive, and they eventually get so thick that the
plants are very small and almost never flower. I removed about 100 bulbs
last year, and you can't really see where I have been. So its major dig
up time this year.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 20-03-2003, 06:44 AM
JennyC

"Serendipity" wrote
If she really is your friend, I would advise against planting
muscari in the first place. I've been battling against a horde
of the d****d things for over ten years in my quite large gardens
and still they keep popping up

I did, but she is adamant :~))

Jenny

Old 21-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Hussein M.

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:47:42 -0000, "Michael Berridge"
wrotc:

I am going to be doing a major throw out of muscari this year, they are,
as has been said so invasive, and they eventually get so thick that the
plants are very small and almost never flower. I removed about 100 bulbs
last year, and you can't really see where I have been. So its major dig
up time this year.

I actually don't have the same antipathy to the plant that others seem
to share. Blue haze. My only reservation is the one you point out; the
fact that established clumps seem to give up producing flowers and end
up a tangle of green worms. For many plants stress prompts flowering
rather than the easy life so I have considered shearing them to ground
level after flowering.

No doubt you don't need to be told that the best way to stem the
flood (I think they seed quite freely as well as expanding
vegetatively), is to do it while they are still in the green and
before the flowers go to seed.

In my soil (which is admittedly quite light and friable), a gently
fork prod under the plant or clump - but only to loosen the earth,
followed by grasping the greenery and coaxing the whole plant/clump
out of the earth is the only way to ensure that you have removed all
the bulbs in a particular area. Thankfully, when green, the leaves are
sufficiently firmly attached to the bulb to make this possible. If you
wait until the plant has died back and retreated into its bulb, trying
to fork sift the soil to remove the rather small bulbs is really a
lost cause.

Hussein
Grow a little garden
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Beachcomber

They are my favourite and there are so many different types. Yes let them
die down and give her the bulbs

:

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Hussein M.

[...]

Cutting grape vine after last grape bunch .. (yes..no...) ? MrMe Edible Gardening 4 21-05-2010 12:19 AM
Killing grape hyacinths dch222 United Kingdom 0 06-03-2007 12:12 PM
Grape Hyacinths? montana Gardening 2 03-05-2003 07:32 PM
Grape Hyacinths Michael United Kingdom 39 12-04-2003 12:20 PM
Water Hyacinths ~ jan Ponds 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM