Old 19-03-2003, 07:32 AM
mick

Default mice

I have a problem ( recent - like this winter) with mice getting into my
roofspace.

I have been trapping them - and I do have a cat , although I wouldn't send
him up there!

I was wondering though if anyone here had tried those sonic rodent devices
that they sell to repel mice and such in the roof and other outbuildings.
I'd like to know if they actually work, being as they are a bit expensive.

TIA

Old 19-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:34:44 -0000, mick wrote:

I have a problem ...

Apart from learning how to serach also learn how to cross post
properly. Previous reply in uk.d-i-y...

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 19-03-2003, 10:44 AM
mick

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.network...
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:34:44 -0000, mick wrote:

I have a problem ...

Apart from learning how to serach also learn how to cross post
properly. Previous reply in uk.d-i-y...

Actually I didnt cross post. I dont believe its ettiquette.

I posted two seperate messages to two different groups where I read
regularly ( although not recently since my computer hard drive crashed a few
weeks ago and I had to rebuild it and I am still doing that.) and whom I
thought might have some experience of the problem I have and the gadget I am
thinking about.

I cannt search on my server as it is currently connected and the PC is set
up - hence the question .... and obviously the need for areply.

Thankyou kindly for your reply.
I did see it in d-i-y.

PS - given the quality of your usual responses and your usual politeess I am
very suprised and a bit hurt that you have chosen me to "rant" at!

Old 19-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Katharine Mill

"mick" wrote in message ...
I have a problem ( recent - like this winter) with mice getting into my
roofspace.

Not a direct answer to your question, I'm afraid, but another
suggestion: I've read that they hate the smell of
peppermint/spearmint, so - having just discovered I have an under
floorboard mice problem - I'm going to make a spray perfume using
essential oil and alcohol (30 percent E.O) to see what that does. I'm
hoping it will deter them and spare the need to collect bodies or use
chemicals around the house. Plants of the stuff are also effective,
apparently, though I doubt they'd survive under a floor...

Sorry, it's not tried and tested yet, but I'm starting this
particularly war tonight :-(

Has anyone else tried this?
Katharine
Old 19-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:41:54 -0000, mick wrote:

Actually I didnt cross post. I dont believe its ettiquette.

IMHO your simple query is a candidate for cross posting to the two
groups that I have seen your query in (uk.rec.gardening and uk.d-i-y),
it is relevant to both.

Cross posting that is frowned upon is when one or more of the groups
cross posted too is not particulary relevant to the topic or when
there are more than a few groups in the list.

You now have two seperate threads going and some contributors won't
see all the other contributions and be able to discuss those...

I cannt search on my server...

groups.google.com is your friend via a web browser.

PS - given the quality of your usual responses and your usual
politeess I am very suprised and a bit hurt that you have chosen me
to "rant" at!

Apologies, I'm not a morning person... B-)

Old 19-03-2003, 02:56 PM
mick

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.network...
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:41:54 -0000, mick wrote:

Actually I didnt cross post. I dont believe its ettiquette.

IMHO your simple query is a candidate for cross posting to the two
groups that I have seen your query in (uk.rec.gardening and uk.d-i-y),
it is relevant to both.

Cross posting that is frowned upon is when one or more of the groups
cross posted too is not particulary relevant to the topic or when
there are more than a few groups in the list.

I wasnt sure it was relevent , hence the seperate postings , the thinking
being that if it was OT for one or other groups a cross post would be very
irritating in the group where members considered it off topic. Two seperate
postings means it would die quickly in the group where it was not relevent
without clogging the system with OT postings in that group. Crossposts have
a habit of clogging systems with many such posts - more than the two
seperate postings would generate.

I cannt search on my server...

groups.google.com is your friend via a web browser.

my web browser itself is not operational at the moment , Im having a few
problems with it - as I have already indicated.
I have got my NNTP news running as a stand alone , hence I did not a search.

Old 19-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Alan Holmes

"mick" wrote in message
I have a problem ( recent - like this winter) with mice getting into my
roofspace.

I have been trapping them - and I do have a cat , although I wouldn't send
him up there!

I was wondering though if anyone here had tried those sonic rodent devices
that they sell to repel mice and such in the roof and other outbuildings.
I'd like to know if they actually work, being as they are a bit expensive.

I would carry on using the traps, although you must be sure they are the
break-back traps, when you have disposed of the adults you will have no
more trouble this year.

Alan

Old 20-03-2003, 06:32 AM
mick

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"mick" wrote in message
I have a problem ( recent - like this winter) with mice getting into my

I would carry on using the traps, although you must be sure they are the
break-back traps, when you have disposed of the adults you will have no
more trouble this year.

Ah! Thats interesting. How many adults might there be? I think I have
trapped seven alredy - well they were comparatively large, hence my saying
they were adults ( obviously I didnt ask their dates of birth ..... sorry
about the joke. I have to laugh or i'd cry. I really hate mice)

Old 20-03-2003, 06:32 AM
mick

"mick" wrote in message

I would carry on using the traps, although you must be sure they are the
break-back traps, when you have disposed of the adults you will have no
more trouble this year.

And for the record I am using proper traps .... not "humanity" extended to
mice in this house!

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Alan Holmes

"mick" wrote in message
I have a problem ( recent - like this winter) with mice getting into

my

I would carry on using the traps, although you must be sure they are the
break-back traps, when you have disposed of the adults you will have no
more trouble this year.

Ah! Thats interesting. How many adults might there be? I think I have
trapped seven alredy - well they were comparatively large, hence my saying
they were adults ( obviously I didnt ask their dates of birth ..... sorry
about the joke. I have to laugh or i'd cry. I really hate mice)

I wonder, if you have already caught that number of mice,
whether you are using sufficient traps.

I find that with one trap, after about three I have no more
sightings.

Alan

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
mick

"mick" wrote in message

I wonder, if you have already caught that number of mice,
whether you are using sufficient traps.

I find that with one trap, after about three I have no more
sightings.

I have six traps down and I had five mice a fortmight ago ( one appeared
to have its bate taken but not sprung. I re baited and got the rest two days
ago. The other traps were untouched.

I have now re baited again and am waiting to see.

PS I dont go up myself. I send my brother as he isnt frightened of mice. I
am as scared as hell!

hence wondering if any deterents gadgets worked.

Mice blasted mice Broadback[_2_] United Kingdom 42 22-12-2009 07:06 PM
Mice problem with wood stalks bthache Gardening 6 26-03-2003 05:08 PM
Re. Mice Jeffery United Kingdom 0 18-12-2002 09:56 AM
Mice eating crocus Jeffery United Kingdom 9 05-12-2002 05:08 PM
Mice Drakanthus United Kingdom 19 07-11-2002 10:15 PM