Old 05-12-2005, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steve Newport

Default Pomegranite

All this talk of Superfoods and anti-oxidants.

How easy are pomegranites to grow in the UK?

Anybody done it?
Old 06-12-2005, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

they would be greenhouse plants only I wuld have thought. They grow
outdoors in mediterranean countries, but AFAIK need conditions similar
to oranges etc. I've seen them growing in Crete, and they also grow
here in Spain. I seem to recall that they fruit twice a year.

Mike

Old 06-12-2005, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
On 6/12/05 7:08, in article
. com,
" wrote:

they would be greenhouse plants only I wuld have thought. They grow
outdoors in mediterranean countries, but AFAIK need conditions similar
to oranges etc. I've seen them growing in Crete, and they also grow
here in Spain. I seem to recall that they fruit twice a year.

You can grow the plants in some of the milder areas of UK, with a bit of
luck and a following wind. But getting them to fruit is another matter
altogether! They need a lot of sun and warmth for that and we tend to be in
rather short supply of both over long periods of time.

Mine has survived outside in a pot so far - let's see if it can
handle this year! I haven't got it to flower yet, though. They do
grow in places that get quite cold winters.

My understanding is that the northern shore of the Mediterranean
is borderline for getting them to fruit, so there isn't a hope in
hell here. They are certainly one of the very few fruits that can
take seriously hot conditions (above 50 Celcius), but I don't know
whether they will drop fruit under such conditions (dates don't,
of course).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

On 6/12/05 7:08, in article
.com,
" wrote:

they would be greenhouse plants only I wuld have thought. They grow
outdoors in mediterranean countries, but AFAIK need conditions similar
to oranges etc. I've seen them growing in Crete, and they also grow
here in Spain. I seem to recall that they fruit twice a year.

You can grow the plants in some of the milder areas of UK, with a bit of
luck and a following wind. But getting them to fruit is another matter
altogether! They need a lot of sun and warmth for that and we tend to be in
rather short supply of both over long periods of time.

Mine has survived outside in a pot so far - let's see if it can
handle this year! I haven't got it to flower yet, though. They do
grow in places that get quite cold winters.

Although typically dry continental ones.

My understanding is that the northern shore of the Mediterranean
is borderline for getting them to fruit, so there isn't a hope in
hell here. They are certainly one of the very few fruits that can
take seriously hot conditions (above 50 Celcius), but I don't know
whether they will drop fruit under such conditions (dates don't,
of course).

The furthest north I can remember seeing them growing wild and fruiting
is in the vicinity of Orange in France in S facing natural warm spots. I
don't know if the fruit always ripen before winter comes. They grow
pretty well in the hills around Tuscany too.

Looks like they want warmer conditions than fig and well drained soils.
I expect it would be all but impossible to fruit one in the UK without
immense investment in artificial heat and light.

ISTR there are some growing in the Eden centre sub tropical zone.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 06-12-2005, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Martin Brown wrote:
The furthest north I can remember seeing them growing wild and fruiting
is in the vicinity of Orange in France in S facing natural warm spots. I
don't know if the fruit always ripen before winter comes. They grow
pretty well in the hills around Tuscany too.
Looks like they want warmer conditions than fig and well drained soils.
I expect it would be all but impossible to fruit one in the UK without
immense investment in artificial heat and light.
ISTR there are some growing in the Eden centre sub tropical zone.

My friend has one near Tour, in France, in a little village call Veuil.
I wondered why I had never seen them, like you, further north until she
bought that farm. It's because the area she's in is very, but very, dry
and hot in summer. She makes her own grenadine now, which is just
lovely and beats real lemonade ...

Old 06-12-2005, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Steve Newport contains these words:

All this talk of Superfoods and anti-oxidants.

How easy are pomegranites to grow in the UK?

I planted a seed tray full and about half came up and have survived to
date - including one in a small pot which I left outside by accident,
and it survived -4°C

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 06-12-2005, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Mike Lyle" wrote
snip
Give me a real ripe Cox's Orange Pippin, if you
can find one (Tesco and Waitrose need not apply).

You are the Ghost of Christmas Past and ICM£5!

When I was little we used to get a lovely big box of the most perfect and
delicious Cox's every Christmas from relatives who worked at the East
Malling research station. They've been my favourite apple ever since but I
never seem to find any half as good in the shops now.

--
Sue

Old 07-12-2005, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
I planted a seed tray full and about half came up and have survived to
date - including one in a small pot which I left outside by accident,
and it survived -4°C

I heard they survive -15C! It's a usual mistake to think 'exotic' plant
from warm climate cannot survive our weather. Cactus for example
survive very cold nights in the desert, some to -20C and can be found
as well as in South America than in north America.

I was re--re-re-reading a wonderful book last night, (as my exams
approach), called 'An hear to the ground' by Ken Thompson. Anybody
knows him? Because I must invite him for dinner. He says that we are
truly pushing our luck in England as we grow many plants from
California, south america, japan, new zealand and south africa. London
lies at a latitude of 51.5 degrees north and the corresponding
latitudes of tokyo, cape town, los angeles, santiago and wellington are
between 34 and 41 degrees south. Even with the Gulf Stream, we are
indeed trying our luck!

Old 09-12-2005, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Did it fruit. ;-)))

Do they normally fruit in nine months from seed?

Sorry, that was my pathetic attempt at humour. People always ask that sort
of question and I was thinking of this poor, struggling little plant.....

I noticed the smiley...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Pomegranite? SG1 Australia 1 15-09-2007 09:51 AM
Pomegranite in flower! Victoria Clare United Kingdom 5 31-08-2004 11:04 PM
pomegranite seeds Loki Edible Gardening 8 07-03-2004 02:34 AM
pomegranite seeds Loki Edible Gardening 0 06-03-2004 06:10 AM
Pomegranite Sprouting Trouble chaz Gardening 3 26-02-2004 12:42 AM