Old 14-12-2005, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default gates.

"middleton.walker" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message

Alan Holmes wrote:

Don't you mean 'revultion'?

snip
I know it's going back to some whatever discussion we've had, but
it's
obvious that she'll have a go at anyone responding to Mike, or
agreeing
with him, and with me for that matter and I've only been here 2
months!! And Mike is visibly going loopy with this on going rubbish.

deep sigh

will give Janet an opportunity to revile me.....Mike, like most of us
have our own peculiarities....and, in all probablity, recognise them
for what they are....frankly I like Mike's style of 'telling it as it
is'....a lot of the folk I know have ceased asking me questions of the
type...."well, the type of 'what do you think' and are hoping for a
specific answer....example...'what do you think of my new hat'....I am
no longer asked those questions as my answer reflect my true thoughts
and in many many case are not what the asker really wishes to
hear....so, to Mike and all those who wish to 'tell it as it is' and
speak the truth as they know it to be then .........please, pretty
please do not change....it is those that revile the truth sayers that
should 'reconsider'......live and let live sayeth I......a
Yorkshireman (still)

O.K a fellow Yorkshireman agrees with the sentiment of your post,
however, there are limits to plain speaking .
If someone constantly makes vitriolic comments for no particular reason
then that's just plain stupid and daft.
In the case of "Mike" -he makes racist, homophobic and totally puerile
comments both on this newsgroup and others.
On occasions he does make a sensible contribution but that's a very
rare event.
I think it may have been in this newsgroup "I wished him dead".
Is that plain enough?

Plain enough fellow Yorkshireman......plus.....also in my belief there
is no room for vitriolic comments that are unwarrented...."plain, stupid
and daft" are not exactly the words I wood use but in respect for this
site will not use.....

wood ? you mean wud lad
esezearntgorritburibereas
lerragerracotof
lerruzgerruzimbux
-just testing your credentials;-)

aye ba gum lad...tha is right....but if the truth be known then I am
interloper when I say I am a Yorkshireman.....born in Bishop Aukland and
did not start living in Yorkshire (York) until I was 5 days old....

An "off-cumden" is what you a-) all because your Mum wouldn't hold on
for a few days.

Old 14-12-2005, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
middleton.walker

"
Don't you mean 'revultion'?

[...]

Naw...that wos not the case....mum wos living in York but went up north cos
of convenience...home delivery and no one handy in York...the rest of the
family lived up there....but an 'off-cumben' that I be....now I am a Cape
Cod 'wash ashore' or a 'wannabe'....

Old 14-12-2005, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David

In article , middleton.walker
writes

Do they 'turn you on' Mike C.

Its the attention that turns Mike on, he starts bleating if he's not the
centre of it.
--
David
Old 14-12-2005, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David

In article , Rupert
writes

[...]

In plain language... he's just a stirring git

--
David
Old 15-12-2005, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kevin Weller

In article , Spider wrote:
I would be grateful for
your response so that I may quit the group or continue within in it.

A lurker asks why you are asking a single contributor whether you
should leave or stay? This is a public forum - whether you leave or
stay is entirely your own decision and you shouldn't allow yourself to
be bullied either way.

Kevin

Old 15-12-2005, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Space" wrote in message
another lurker here - ask yourselves.... why do we lurk?

Cos you got spots? Your are ugly? You don't know nuthin? Cos you acquire
info and give nowlt back?
Perhaps you smell bad?
I give in - You tell me why you lurk

Old 16-12-2005, 05:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kevin Weller

In article , Space
wrote:
another lurker here - ask yourselves.... why do we lurk?

In my case because I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to
gardening and I'm here to learn. It's certainly not because I'm
intimidated. If I think I can add value I post - that was my 5th post I
think which gives you some idea of how much value I think I can add
here!

Kevin

Old 16-12-2005, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 16/12/05 5:53 am, in article , "Kevin
Weller" wrote:

In article , Space
wrote:
another lurker here - ask yourselves.... why do we lurk?

In my case because I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to
gardening and I'm here to learn. It's certainly not because I'm
intimidated. If I think I can add value I post - that was my 5th post I
think which gives you some idea of how much value I think I can add
here!

I think most people here think as I do - that *everyone*, including total
novice gardeners has something to contribute to this group. Quite apart
from the real meat of the answers to novices' questions, all of us can learn
from what is asked, how best to help people by explaining things clearly
and in straightforward language. Nobody objects to what some newbies call
'stupid questions' but I think that anyone has a right to object to rudeness
by people who barge in, demanding answers or attention and become nasty and
personally insulting when they don't get what they think they' should.
I appreciate that in the seven years since I came here, things have changed
in terms of much wider computer use and that this means general behaviour
will change. But I do think that the 'old' idea of reading a group for a
bit to see how it conducts itself before you join in, is a good one and is
just good manners to the group, really. This is not directed at you, Kevin,
BTW - your post was one that was thoughtful enough to allow me to say what I
was thinking on the back of it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-12-2005, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

--
..
"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 16/12/05 5:53 am, in article , "Kevin
Weller" wrote:

In article , Space
wrote:
[...]

Does that mean that the past practice of telling newbies to read the FAQ's
when they come up with a question which has 'Been done to death' will be
dropped?

Old 16-12-2005, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Sacha wrote:
I think most people here think as I do - that *everyone*, including total
novice gardeners has something to contribute to this group.

(snipette)

Sure Sacha, but just think of the rudeness one gets from Janet when one
makes a little mistake. Every forum have their village loons and the
treatment our loons get in here are frankly not nice at all. We should
respect them. It's so so so easy to just write 'actually no' or 'I
wouldn't say that' or 'you might be wrong' or 'go and fry yourself an
egg', whatever. Instead we receive some serious smacks by Janet and
yourself which make one feels like going! But why are we all here still
and more to the point staying? Because we're all passionate,
interested, wanting to learn, wanting to be with our peers, it's like
being in a huge garden, you discover things, you share, you enjoy and
yes you tease sometimes and have a good larf.

This forum needs some cushions and warmth and not necessarily provided
by the hostesses. It's a 'bring your own' forum and some of us just
need to let go a little.

Old 16-12-2005, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

This forum needs some cushions and warmth and not necessarily provided
by the hostesses. It's a 'bring your own' forum and some of us just
need to let go a little.

Something like a welcome give on a P & O Site for people who cruise to chat
to each other as follows,

"Hi B......

And welcome to Cruise Connections. Like has been mentioned already you will
find this site a great source of information and banter. Never feel afraid
to ask anything, even if you think it is trivial. Most people are only too
happy to help. We were all cruise virgins once.

Happy cruising.

B.....

The bit I like is the 'we were all cruise virgins once' and that could be
exchanged for 'we were all gardener virgins once'

Unfortunatly this post will now attract 'poison arrows' because I am going
on a cruise :-(( Just watch

Mike
Who only posts as Mike

Old 16-12-2005, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Mike wrote:

(snip)

Unfortunatly this post will now attract 'poison arrows' because I am going
on a cruise :-(( Just watch

Mike, this is my second post to you and I have mixed feelings about
this. Please understand what I am trying to say here for the first time
and the last.

It is not that I agree with you but I understand you. I take people the
way they are, always. I don't want to change them. I call this the
spices of life. But you, Mike, cannot carry on supplying entertainment
to this forum intelligently and then concluding your post with a
riposte that will fuel argument for nothing other than the sake of it.
I feel that I am providing you with ammunition.

I understand your bitterness towards some posters here, but for the
love of life please stop throwing unpleasant statement but try to
contribute your feeling clearly. This is first and foremost a gardening
forum - not an argumentative playground. It is becoming too negative
and that is very sad.

Finally, there's no poison arrows but in your mind. I am sorry Mike. As
far as your cruise is concerned, I don't think nobody, really, truly
and honestly gives a fig about it.

Old 16-12-2005, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
middleton.walker

"Mike" wrote in message

This forum needs some cushions and warmth and not necessarily provided
by the hostesses. It's a 'bring your own' forum and some of us just
need to let go a little.

And welcome to Cruise

Happy cruising.

The bit I like is the 'we were all virgins once' and that could be
exchanged for 'long long ago we were all virgins '

Old 16-12-2005, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"La puce" wrote
snip
This forum needs some cushions and warmth and not necessarily provided
by the hostesses. It's a 'bring your own' forum and some of us just
need to let go a little.

There are no host(esse)s, since this is an unmoderated newsgroup, available
to all equally. But I do agree with that last sentence. Perhaps if you
would also 'do as you would be done by' things wouldn't get so fraught.
Personal insults are inflammatory and juvenile, no?

--
Sue