GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Frosty night (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/109661-frosty-night.html)

Sacha 07-12-2005 11:09 AM

Frosty night

-2 here last night and still very cold this morning. It's a very beautiful,
white world round here. The Eucomis we have in urns in front of the house
have turned even mushier, if that's possible but the tree fern I worry about
still looks perfectly happy. X fingers!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha 07-12-2005 04:38 PM

Frosty night

On 7/12/05 15:33, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

-2 here last night and still very cold this morning. It's a very beautiful,
white world round here. The Eucomis we have in urns in front of the house
have turned even mushier, if that's possible but the tree fern I worry about
still looks perfectly happy.

White 'rime' on cars and roofs here, but the lowest air temperature
here was 2C. so no great worries. Just as well, because that Scilla
maderensis is slowly pushing up 2 flower spikes. This is interesting
because it is normally an autumn flowerer. Judging by its efforts
here, it will flower in early spring. I had hoped to see it do its
stuff before Christmas, but if it has to be a spring flowering bulb in
our climate, so be it. I've got 'Christmas cactus' growing against
the fence that flowers in April, so adaptive flowering times are not
so unusual.

I'm going to read to Ray and wait for him to go pale green with envy. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Padger 08-12-2005 11:50 PM

Frosty night

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 7/12/05 15:33, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

-2 here last night and still very cold this morning. It's a very

beautiful,
white world round here

snip
Icing up outside as I write and have luckily not lost any plants so far
outside other than the half hardies which was to be expected.
canna and canary palm ok as is nerium oleander which have all survived a
number of years outdoors now without protection. I think a lot of plants are
hardier than we give them credit for though I wouldn't like to trust any
special plants to survive especially if they cost a bit to replace. Jim