Old 19-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Jack

Default Best Fertiliser

What's the best fertiliser to use on perennials in order to get the best
show of flowers? Bonemeal, tomato fertiliser, rose fertiliser, general
purpose fertiliser.... the choice is endless and I'm confused!

Thanks.

Old 19-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Tarzan

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:35:39 -0000, "Jack" wrote:

What's the best fertiliser to use on perennials in order to get the best
show of flowers? Bonemeal, tomato fertiliser, rose fertiliser, general
purpose fertiliser.... the choice is endless and I'm confused!

Thanks.

depends on the plant ,the choices are endless...

Old 19-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Michael Berridge

Jack wrote in message ...
What's the best fertiliser to use on perennials in order to get the

best
show of flowers? Bonemeal, tomato fertiliser, rose fertiliser, general
purpose fertiliser.... the choice is endless and I'm confused!

If you work on the fact that high nitrogen fertilisers will encourage
leaf growth and high Potash encourages flowers and fruit. You then just
need to choose. Rose and Tomato fertilisers are high Potash, and I
suspect that they produce the huge variety of fertilisers with specific
crops listed just to get us to buy more. Tomato fertiliser is certainly
good for fuschias.
Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 20-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:35:39 -0000, Jack wrote:

What's the best fertiliser to use on perennials in order to get the best
show of flowers? Bonemeal, tomato fertiliser, rose fertiliser, general
purpose fertiliser.... the choice is endless and I'm confused!

Use any cheap general purpose fertilizer. 6-8-6 and 13-6-10 are
common analyses here in Canada.

The plants will take the nutrients they need from the soil.

All the hype about different formulations for different purposes
is (mostly) marketing flack. Pay no attention.

Further: Sunset Magazine in California did an experiment quite a
few years ago to see what relative effect different fertilizer
formulations had on flowering (of annuals, I believe). They
concluded that nitrogen was the key nutrient, the addition of
potassium and phosphorus having little or no effect of flowering.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 01:55:40 GMT, Rodger Whitlock wrote:

Use any cheap general purpose fertilizer. 6-8-6 and 13-6-10 are

^^^^^^^
common analyses here in Canada.

Make that "13-16-10".

Sorry for the typo.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

best flower fertiliser stuart noble United Kingdom 7 12-03-2012 07:04 PM
What is the best fertiliser? Nicholas Steel Australia 6 14-09-2004 06:08 AM
fertiliser papa United Kingdom 2 26-02-2003 12:00 AM
Manure and Fertiliser Bart United Kingdom 9 16-02-2003 12:11 AM
Fertiliser burn ss Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 07:25 PM