Old 15-12-2005, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
birdieb

Default Anyone managed to grow Hovenia dulcis?

Has anyone suceeded in propagating Hovenia dulcis from seeds? How did
you manage to grow them? I live near Grenoble in the French Alps. Do
you think I could grow them in a (big enough) pot?

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer this.

Sincerely,
Alexandra C

Old 15-12-2005, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"birdieb" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone suceeded in propagating Hovenia dulcis from seeds? How did
you manage to grow them? I live near Grenoble in the French Alps. Do
you think I could grow them in a (big enough) pot?

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer this.

Sincerely,
Alexandra C

No, I have no experience of this but I found this info for you which is a
starting point.

Seed - germinates freely if sown as soon as it is ripe in a cold frame[200].
Stored seed should be scarified and sown in early spring[113], it may not
germinate for a year. Prick out the seedlings into individual pots when
large enough to handle and grow on for at least their first winter in a
greenhouse. Plant out in late spring after the last expected frosts and give
some winter protection for their first couple of years outdoors.

Old 16-12-2005, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"birdieb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Has anyone suceeded in propagating Hovenia dulcis from seeds? How did
you manage to grow them? I live near Grenoble in the French Alps.

Do you think I could grow them in a (big enough) pot?

Acording to all the references on the net at least, this will eventually
grow to a minimum height of 30 feet - 9 metres tall. It has a medium growth
rate which means it may take 10 years(?) to reach that height. But
there's no doubt it will become a problem at some stage, if grown
in a pot.

If you were really set on growing this in a pot, there may be a possibility
that by continually trimming the roots you could restrict the growth of the
tree, while keeping the overall shape. By using adapted bonsai techniques
perhaps.

All the descriptons on the net are based on the US and their hardiness
Zone 5 which goes down to -20 to -15 F or -26.2 to -28.8 C.
And the tree is described as half hardy. If your winters are colder than
that, then maybe a fuller "bonsaing" treatment may be required

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer this.

Sincerely,
Alexandra C

This is the description from a US seed catalogue -

quote

2702 Hovenia dulcis "Japanese Raisin Tree" - seeds
A 30' to 50' tree that is known for its edible flower stalks
(fruit pedicels) which swell up and contort somewhat into a fleshy brown
"pretzel" that has a taste like a raisins. Leaves are ovate to 7" ,
serrated and alternate on long stalks. Half hardy to zone 5 - no
severe cold. Slow to germinate - up to 5 months. Plant 1/2" deep
in sandy loam. Bright light.
Ordering seeds info 4 seeds

http://tinyurl.com/8jmvt

for -

http://www.toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/...ist=1&letter=h

/quote

If you're still intent on trying to grow these, then as has been
suggested in another post, it may be helpful to scarify, or scratch
away, or otherwise remove a part of the seed coat in some way
if its not freshly gathered from an existing tree
There's more information about scarification on here - plus
general points about difficulties encountered with tree seeds
generally.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8704.html

michael adams