Old 19-03-2003, 02:44 PM
David C

Default A bleeding silver birch tree - should I worry ?

I needed to lop a couple of branches from a mature silver birch about
10 days ago. The branches are about 2 inches diameter, 6 feet from the
ground and were cut in the normal place just out from the trunk. Since
then the cut part has been dripping sap at a rate of about 2 drips a
second and is showing no signs of stopping or slowing.

Should I worry ? Or try and cap it/coat it with something ? I know the
sap is rising at this time of year but also I don't want the tree to
bleed to death !

Thanks,

David C
Old 19-03-2003, 03:58 PM
A.Malhotra

David C wrote:

I needed to lop a couple of branches from a mature silver birch about
10 days ago. The branches are about 2 inches diameter, 6 feet from the
ground and were cut in the normal place just out from the trunk. Since
then the cut part has been dripping sap at a rate of about 2 drips a
second and is showing no signs of stopping or slowing.

Should I worry ? Or try and cap it/coat it with something ? I know the
sap is rising at this time of year but also I don't want the tree to
bleed to death !

Collect the sap and make birch sap wine or syrup (like maple syrup)! Its
supposed to be delicious. Never tried it but are hoping to once our silver
biches get big enough. Normally you'd just drill a hole then block it with
a cork when you'd got enough: I've read you can take a couple of litres per
tree so it can't do them that much harm. I assume the tree will eventually
form its own cap to the wound.
Anita
Old 19-03-2003, 11:32 PM
David C

I needed to lop a couple of branches from a mature silver birch about
10 days ago. The branches are about 2 inches diameter, 6 feet from the
ground and were cut in the normal place just out from the trunk. Since
then the cut part has been dripping sap at a rate of about 2 drips a
second and is showing no signs of stopping or slowing.

Update, had an idea and went out with a roll of cling film. It appears
to have reduced the flow significantly (although not completly stopped
it) hopefully it might give the tree more of a chance to heal.

The cutting this time of year wasn't by choice, had to be done to fit
a new fence, but a branch lopped off 6 weeks ago "healed" fine and
hardly dripped at all so I hope the fact it's pouring out now may be
partly related to the barmy weather in the last 10 days.

David C