Old 20-12-2005, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Alternatives to "Seal & Heal" for bark damage

Are there any reasonably priced alternatives to Arbrex Seal and Heal
for painting on damaged bark etc.? Or where can I buy it in larger
quantities than the 250ml pots?

We have a moderate sized orchard which has suffered some damage from
(presumably) deer and would like to treat the trunks to help them heal
and to discourage further attacks. In previous years we have used
Arbrex Seal and Heal which seems quite effective but it would make
sense to buy in larger quantites or a cheaper alternative if possible.

--
Chris Green

Old 21-12-2005, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
landscapeadvice

The arbrex treatment may inhibit repair.Trees are able to recover the
wound by forming a calous in time which self seals the area.
look for other tree damage in the plot.
Our experience of tree damage is from deer and required the fitting of
6ft high deer fencing on all boundaries, costing £7000 for 1,100
metres.So maybe the high netting around each tree idea is your first
port of call. Would be interested in how successful you are. Steve.

Old 21-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Are there any reasonably priced alternatives to Arbrex Seal and Heal
for painting on damaged bark etc.? Or where can I buy it in larger
quantities than the 250ml pots?

We have a moderate sized orchard which has suffered some damage from
(presumably) deer and would like to treat the trunks to help them heal
and to discourage further attacks. In previous years we have used
Arbrex Seal and Heal which seems quite effective but it would make
sense to buy in larger quantites or a cheaper alternative if possible.

--
Chris Green

Just leave them as they are, painting tar is not recomended any more, as mentioned it can seal in pathogens.
Regarding red oxide, i would be concerned about the lead content.
Carrot Cruncher.