Old 19-03-2003, 05:08 PM
eric

Default Blanket weed on my baby water lilies

I have a number of very young water lily plants in three-inch pots, in
plastic buckets, which I am growing-on to sell at our horticultural society
plant sale in May, to help our funds. However, the bright sunlight has
encouraged a lovely crop of prize-winning blanket weed and, obviously, no
one will buy them like that.

I had this trouble at the end of last year and tried to kill it using Tetra
Pond 'Algo Fin' blanket weed control but, although I made several
applications each time doubling the recommended dosage, it didn't work.

Can anyone advise what the maximum dosage is likely to be or if there is
another method that I can use. Obviously, commercial growers must be faced
with this problem, buit I have never seen any signs of it when visiting
nurseries.

Thanks in anticipation.

Eric

Old 20-03-2003, 12:32 AM
bigjon

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:09:59 -0000, eric wrote:

I have a number of very young water lily plants in three-inch pots, in
plastic buckets, which I am growing-on to sell at our horticultural society
plant sale in May, to help our funds. However, the bright sunlight has
encouraged a lovely crop of prize-winning blanket weed and, obviously, no
one will buy them like that.

I had this trouble at the end of last year and tried to kill it using Tetra
Pond 'Algo Fin' blanket weed control but, although I made several
applications each time doubling the recommended dosage, it didn't work.

Can anyone advise what the maximum dosage is likely to be or if there is
another method that I can use. Obviously, commercial growers must be faced
with this problem, buit I have never seen any signs of it when visiting
nurseries.

Thanks in anticipation.

Eric

Chuck half a pound of barley straw in for every square metre of surface
area, make sure it is netted in a bag and stays just below the surface.
That will slow the blanket weed to a crawl, and when you go to fish it out
you will find it very thin and weak.. eventually it will disappear with
yearly repeats.
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
Old 22-03-2003, 07:32 PM
eric

Many thanks. I'll give it a try. Must confess I have never used it.

Eric

"bigjon" wrote in message
[...]

Baby Blanket rose AND Hot Cocoa! Linda Roses 0 06-07-2003 01:08 AM
Baby Blanket rose Linda Roses 1 05-07-2003 11:32 PM
Blanket weed David Williams Ponds (alternative) 8 30-06-2003 07:56 PM
Blanket weed stacey Ponds 2 30-06-2003 12:20 AM
Blanket weed as/is a veggie filter plant Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 2 27-04-2003 03:20 AM