Old 19-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Ophelia

Default sweet peas

In October I sewed (have sewn ?) sweet pea seeds

They have lived in my cold frame quite happily and are now around 6 inches
long.

The last few weeks they have started to look a bit pale and week. Help

What ought I to do? The frosts will not die down for a wee while now. Must
I feed them? I open the door whenever there is a nice day and always close
it at night

Ophelia
Scotland

Old 19-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Roberto

If they are in pots they will need a feed, a drop of liquid fertiliser. Also
they may be overheating in the day, they don't like it hot. Presumably they
have enough water?! I suppose you know to pinch out the growing tips of the
first shoot, as the sideshoots produce the flowers

:

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Beachcomber

Yes anything 'general' for now although when they really get going a high
potash one will be better, if they need anything extra. It's obviously
different where you are but here in Plymouth I germinate them and grow them
on outside, in the back garden and then move them on to the allotment

Ophelia wrote:
: Right. liquid fertilizer would that bio stuff I have in the house for
: plants do or should I get some general stuff? Yes they have water. i
: haven't pinched the growing tips but I will do that today. I may
: also move them down to the floor of the cold frame. It should be
: cooler down there yes?
:
: Many thanks Robert. I am most grateful
:
: Ophelia.. learning like mad)
:
:
: "Roberto" wrote in message
: ...
:: If they are in pots they will need a feed, a drop of liquid
:: fertiliser. Also they may be overheating in the day, they don't like
:: it hot. Presumably they have enough water?! I suppose you know to
:: pinch out the growing tips of the first shoot, as the sideshoots
:: produce the flowers
::
::
:: "Ophelia" wrote in message
:: ...
::: In October I sewed (have sewn ?) sweet pea seeds
:::

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Ophelia

Thank you your help is very much appreciated. I am hoping for a lovely
display in the summer)

Ophelia

Ophelia wrote:
: Right. liquid fertilizer would that bio stuff I have in the house for
: plants do or should I get some general stuff? Yes they have water. i
: haven't pinched the growing tips but I will do that today. I may
: also move them down to the floor of the cold frame. It should be
: cooler down there yes?
:
: Many thanks Robert. I am most grateful
:
: Ophelia.. learning like mad)
:
:
: "Roberto" wrote in message
: ...
:: If they are in pots they will need a feed, a drop of liquid
:: fertiliser. Also they may be overheating in the day, they don't like
:: it hot. Presumably they have enough water?! I suppose you know to
:: pinch out the growing tips of the first shoot, as the sideshoots
:: produce the flowers
::
::
:: ...

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Beachcomber

Hope so, so am I
"Ophelia" wrote in message
news : Thank you your help is very much appreciated. I am hoping for a lovely
: display in the summer)
:
: Ophelia
:
: Ophelia wrote:
: : Right. liquid fertilizer would that bio stuff I have in the house for
: : plants do or should I get some general stuff? Yes they have water. i
: : haven't pinched the growing tips but I will do that today. I may
: : also move them down to the floor of the cold frame. It should be
: : cooler down there yes?
: :
: : Many thanks Robert. I am most grateful
: :
: : Ophelia.. learning like mad)
: :
: :
: : "Roberto" wrote in message
: : ...
: :: If they are in pots they will need a feed, a drop of liquid
: :: fertiliser. Also they may be overheating in the day, they don't like
: :: it hot. Presumably they have enough water?! I suppose you know to
: :: pinch out the growing tips of the first shoot, as the sideshoots
: :: produce the flowers
: ::
: ::
: :: "Ophelia" wrote in message
: :: ...
: ::: In October I sewed (have sewn ?) sweet pea seeds
: :::