Old 29-12-2005, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default greenouse heaters, soil warming cables, etc

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:02:11 +0000, Hugh Jampton
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:45:03 GMT, wrote:

I have a 3kw greenhouse fan heater but when we had the frost last time
I was unhappy with its frost setting. The problem is that the heater
switches on and the heater body warms-up so the thermostat switches
the heater off. The problem is only the fan heater is now above
freezing; the rest of the greenhouse is not!

I have a Parasene electric greenhouse fan heater. When I bought my first
one it acted like you say. I exchanged it but the second one acted in the
same way. I exchanged it again and the third one worked fine and is still
in use. Temperature here last night dropped to - 6° C and the heater kept
the lowest temperature in the greenhouse to + 5° C set on the next setting
to frost protection - it does not run continuously.

I also have one of these. The thermostat isn't a true thermostat IMO,
but seems to work like a combination of a thermostat and an energy
regulator. A little of the warm air from the heater is diverted across
the thermostat, which then cuts out before the body of the greenhouse
gets up to temperature. But then in cold air the thermostat cools
quickly and comes back on again. The colder the air, the quicker this
happens. As the air temperature warms up, it takes longer for the
thermostat to come back on again. I suppose it's meant to be a clever
system, raising the g/h temperature gently without running the risk of
overshooting or cooking anything, but give me a straightforward
thermostat that holds a constant temperature, anytime.

--
Chris