Old 03-01-2006, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default bananas killed by frost

wrote in message
Hello and Happy New Year!

I bought two bananas last year: a M Cavendishi and a dwarf version of
the same. They were in the greenhouse until the frost came. I had a
fan heater set to keep the greenhouse above freezing but I learned
that bananas need to be above 15C. I bought them into the house from
the greenhouse, so they are now warmer. However it may have been too
late. The M Cavendishi leaves have died but the "stalk" remains firm,
so I am hopeful that it may grow again. Update: whilst firm above
ground, it is soft around the soil line and the stalk has now toppled
over; I think I have lost this one too.

The dwarf variety is worse, that is quite soft and I worry that it is
rotting. Is it too late to save it or will it re grow next year?

Thanks,
Mark

I believe the M Cavendishi do need more protection than a lot of other
varieties.
You have nothing to loose by tending them for a few more months to see if
there is regrowth.
This site gives a good idea of the varieties
http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/BananaArticle.htm

Old 04-01-2006, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 20:45:01 -0000, "Rupert"
wrote:

I believe the M Cavendishi do need more protection than a lot of other
varieties.
You have nothing to loose by tending them for a few more months to see if
there is regrowth.
This site gives a good idea of the varieties
http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/BananaArticle.htm

Thank you. I will keep them and see if they re grow.

I am glad in a way that you mentioned that url because this is where I
bought them from. I wasn't sure whether to post bad things about these
people or whether I should keep quiet; after all, there is no such
thing as bad publicity and mentioning their url might increase
business as people go to look!

I contacted jungleseeds (they also trade as junglegardens) by email.
Actually I copied my email and pasted it into my news post. What I
asked you is what I asked them.

They ignored the first three emails (I kept re-sending each week that
I did not get a reply) and on the fourth time they posted back and I
quote:

"Too many questions to answer as we are very busy, fruiting
bananas need tropical conditions, its up to you how you provide the
right environment.

Kind Regards

Peter

JungleSeeds&Gardens"

Needless to say, I emailed back and said if you are too busy to help,
I am too busy to buy from you again. Ever.

Thanks everyone here for your help.

I must admit that I have never actually bought plants just seeds and I have
never had to contact them. I would not deal with anyone that gave such a
curt reply.
Musa basjoo seems to be very cheap at the moment in all the local garden
centres because it doesn't look attractive with the dead leaves and it's one
of the hardiest varieties.
Good luck with the Cavendishi-although he trunk is soggy below soil level
its the roots/rhizomes that matter