Old 10-01-2006, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default not quite a gardening question !

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

The message
from kathryn contains these words:

ha ha ha...you are all soooooooooooooooooo witty !

Too bad your posts don't include any previous context, so nobody knows
what you're wittering about.

------------------================QUOTE================--------------------

Hi all
we have a bunny and two guineas that live in the shed, lately they have
had company, we know this because the feed sacks been eaten into and
these are out of reach to the pets), is there any way of telling
whether its a rat or a mouse (droppings ect).
Would the guineas still be alive if it was a rat??
I have had trouble with a rat before which i found in my compost bin
(yikes) pest control dealt with it that time.
Kathryn

--
kathryn

------------------================UNQUOTE================--------------------

That help?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-01-2006, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"La Puce" wrote
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Too bad your posts don't include any previous context, so nobody knows
what you're wittering about.

The context is not *that* a difficulty in this thread. snip

The thing is do we want to make our posts intelligible to the maximum
number or readers or not?

Without quotes you have to go hunting for context if, like many do, you
read several high-traffic groups and therefore only browse through the new
replies. For my part I usually have the 'hide read messages' view selected
to make things manageable, otherwise I'm scrolling down through pages of
already read stuff and would miss things. You can't always remember the
context and won't always bother to change views to check.

--
Sue

Old 10-01-2006, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sue wrote:

The thing is do we want to make our posts intelligible to the maximum
number or readers or not?

Err .. yes Miss.

Without quotes you have to go hunting for context if, like many do, you
read several high-traffic groups and therefore only browse through the new
replies. For my part I usually have the 'hide read messages' view selected
to make things manageable, otherwise I'm scrolling down through pages of
already read stuff and would miss things. You can't always remember the
context and won't always bother to change views to check.

Ok. It's indeed a good way of going about responding to post. However,
and please don't get mad at me, I don't understand why you hide your
'read messages' viewer when it precisely let you know what you've read
or not. Why do you scroll through pages and pages of already read stuff
and don't just go to the highlighted ones you haven't read? This thread
is minute compared to some others. What do you use?

Old 10-01-2006, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Sue" contains these words:

"La Puce" wrote
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Too bad your posts don't include any previous context, so nobody knows
what you're wittering about.

The context is not *that* a difficulty in this thread. snip

The thing is do we want to make our posts intelligible to the maximum
number or readers or not?

Without quotes you have to go hunting for context if, like many do, you
read several high-traffic groups

Quite. Kathryn has received a string of replies following her first
post. All those replies demonstrated reply-with-quote, politely making
the context and thread intelligible, especially to later arrivals who
missed the start. Despite that, every single post scattered through the
thread by K, failed to follow suit. Each one was unintelligible to any
late-comers. She is using the group, and the thread, as if they are her
private help-line, instead of the communal discussion newsgroups are
meant to be.

Janet

Old 10-01-2006, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:

[...]

No. Nobody has made a witty comment on "that" post.

Mind you, "bunny" was a serious temptation.

Janet

Old 10-01-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sue wrote:

[...]

She is using Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
She uses common sense and hides read messages.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Quite. Kathryn has received a string of replies following her first
post. All those replies demonstrated reply-with-quote, politely making
the context and thread intelligible, especially to later arrivals who
missed the start. Despite that, every single post scattered through the
thread by K, failed to follow suit. Each one was unintelligible to any
late-comers. She is using the group, and the thread, as if they are her
private help-line, instead of the communal discussion newsgroups are
meant to be.

Not everyone has the knowledge of how Usenet works, or the experience of
it to get things right at first.

If the posts had come from an experienced user I could AOL the irritation.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-01-2006, 01:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Rupert" wrote
"La Puce" wrote
Sue wrote:

snip
For my part I usually have the 'hide read messages' view selected to
make things manageable, otherwise I'm scrolling down through pages of
already read stuff and would miss things. You can't always remember the
context and won't always bother to change views to check.

Ok. It's indeed a good way of going about responding to post. However,
and please don't get mad at me, I don't understand why you hide your
'read messages' viewer when it precisely let you know what you've read
or not. Why do you scroll through pages and pages of already read stuff
and don't just go to the highlighted ones you haven't read? This thread
is minute compared to some others. What do you use?

She is using Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
She uses common sense and hides read messages.

Wot 'e said.

I don't know about other newsreaders but with OE it seems to me much less
unwieldy to have only unread posts in view, especially if subbed to several
large groups. This group's a bit quieter at the moment (altho' it can be
very busy at other times of year) but in others there can be literally
hundreds of new posts a day to wade through. Yes new ones are highlighted
but it's much simpler to have all previously read stuff hidden to be able
to quickly see which threads have been added to and which, if any, to skip,
who's posted and whether I've had a response to anything of my own etc.

--
Sue

Old 11-01-2006, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Sue" contains these words:
"Rupert" wrote
"La Puce" wrote
Sue wrote:

snip
[...]

I wish I knew what all you lot were going on about!

In my newsreader I have a column on the left with all subscribed-to
newsgroups. A star against an entry indicates unread message(s) there.
Highlight it and in the middle column is shown the subjects in the
highlighted group. If any of these is starred, there are unread messages
there. The right-hand column shows the authors, and a star against any
of these indicates 'unread'.

Double-clicking on any item opens it. If you reply, the item window
remains open, but usually underneath the reply.

To look at what has gone before, either there must be quoted text in the
newsitem, or the reply window must be minimised or placed beneath the
newsitem, and one, or a series of them opened until the context is
found.

Janet uses the same system.

When there is no context quoted in a reply, it makes it unworthwhile
reading most of them, because it is seldom apparant what the poster is
talking about, especially if, as I do, one subscribes to a lot of
newsgroups, and the thread is a bit elderly.

We have memory problems, some of us, you know. Is it time for my
Horlicks, Nurse?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-01-2006, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sue wrote:

Wot 'e said.

(snip)

I use it at work but not for my forums to the exception of one local
Manchester group. I understand now indeed. And this is indeed why I use
google instead. OE is a pain. I do have to go back to see because it's
not 'threaded' as in beta, or turnpike, but one after the other and
indeed if someone like Kathryn doesn't quote the previous post ...
you're lost.

I'm glad I asked coz I thought you were mad .... g

Old 11-01-2006, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

I wish I knew what all you lot were going on about!

LOL!! Priceless!!

In my newsreader I have a column on the left with all subscribed-to
newsgroups. A star against an entry indicates unread message(s) there.
Highlight it and in the middle column is shown the subjects in the
highlighted group. If any of these is starred, there are unread messages
there. The right-hand column shows the authors, and a star against any
of these indicates 'unread'.
Double-clicking on any item opens it. If you reply, the item window
remains open, but usually underneath the reply.
To look at what has gone before, either there must be quoted text in the
newsitem, or the reply window must be minimised or placed beneath the
newsitem, and one, or a series of them opened until the context is
found.
Janet uses the same system.

Yes, so do I. But Outlook Express doesn't do that. Sadly it is not
really meant for chatty chappies like us but for straight simple emails
I'm afarid. On OE you do get the tittle of the subject/thread and the
poster's name but if no quote from previous post you cannot tell to
whom or to what it is in responce of. A responce from Kathryn as it
was, was like a little cry in the deepest night from somewhere far away

(snip)

We have memory problems, some of us, you know. Is it time for my
Horlicks, Nurse?

I'll bring it with some home made biscuits and I'll throw in a feet
massage for free if you're not careful!! Got your jiffy package today.
You're a lovely fellow indeed )

Old 11-01-2006, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"La Puce" wrote
I use it at work but not for my forums to the exception of one local
Manchester group. I understand now indeed. And this is indeed why I use
google instead. OE is a pain. I do have to go back to see because it's
not 'threaded' as in beta, or turnpike, but one after the other and
indeed if someone like Kathryn doesn't quote the previous post ...
you're lost.

I'm glad I asked coz I thought you were mad .... g

S'alright, the feeling is quite mutual.

OE is fine AFAIC. I've used it without much problem since I got online -
you just have to know its little foibles. It can indeed show threads
properly threaded (view menucurrent viewgroup msgs by conversation),
however even with entire threads laid out on show *you* try and see where a
reply fits in on a busy group when it comes out of the blue without quoted
context or attributions, when there've been say 30 or more other replies in
between and the thread's branched and wandered off the way these things do.
The post probably won't show up directly underneath the one it was replying
to - it could be half way down the screen instead. People can post how they
wish but in those circs it may get ignored by many.

Anyway.. enough already!

--
Sue

Old 11-01-2006, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"La Puce" wrote
Yes, so do I. But Outlook Express doesn't do that. Sadly it is not
really meant for chatty chappies like us but for straight simple emails
I'm afarid. On OE you do get the tittle of the subject/thread and the
poster's name but if no quote from previous post you cannot tell to
whom or to what it is in responce of.

I'm sorry but that's just not true. OE is a perfectly usable and functional
newsreader which shows ng threads properly threaded. I've used it for
years. It has the odd foible as with any progam and they can be dealt with.
AFAICS most people who whinge about it either didn't set it up properly, or
can't be bothered to format a post legibly in the first place whatever
software they use!

A responce from Kathryn as it was, was like a little cry in the deepest
night from somewhere far away

It could have been yes, but because the reasons already given, and not a
fault of OE.

--
Sue

Old 11-01-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message . com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

[...]

Can't you highlught what you want to quote, then hit 'reply'?

(snip)

We have memory problems, some of us, you know. Is it time for my
Horlicks, Nurse?

I'll bring it with some home made biscuits

Hmmm. My favourites, home-made biccies! Matron makes lovely charcoal
bikkies: you can tell when they're done because the fire brigade comes
to try them out.

and I'll throw in a feet
massage for free if you're not careful!!

Nurse uses a rolling pin, you know.

Got your jiffy package today.
You're a lovely fellow indeed )

Oh good. That was quick - we only have one post, and it leaves about 5 pm.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-01-2006, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message . com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

In my newsreader (snip)
Janet uses the same system.

That's correct. Rusty and I use the same newsreader.

Yes, so do I.

No, you do not.

Janet