Old 12-01-2006, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default not quite a gardening question !

The message . com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

At work I use OE windows. At home I use the web.

?

OE runs under Windows, yes.

The Web is accessible to all operating systems, it is not an operating
system in itself. All it does is to channel information.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-01-2006, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , newsb
writes

You can download the latest turnpike from Demon

You are a darling - thank you
--
Judith Lea
Old 12-01-2006, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from kathryn contains these words:

Whoops...looks like ive opened a whole can of worms...
apologies for my forum ignorance...this is all new to me, hope im not
expelled from this web site , didnt realise it would get so heavy...

Don't worry! it's the silly season on URG, when plants are dormant or
growing ever-so-slowly, and there's nothing much else to do.

And as it's winter, and the sun is low in the firmament, one has to
generate a little heat to supplement the lack of light.

My! This Shiraz Cabernet *IS* good!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-01-2006, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:
10/10 for perseverance. Can you now explain to La puce the differences
between Linux and Windows so she can tell which one she is using (at
work or home)

Well AFAIA(WIVF) the former is an open source OS mostly preferred by
computer-savvy geeky persons, and the latter um... isn't.

The first indicator is the 'Crash Co-efficient', or the frequency of the
BSOD.

Hah! A myth I refuse to believe.

I've always used Windows, seeing as those computer-savvy geeky genes
required to fathom the mysteries of Linux have passed me by and been
inherited by Absent Offspring. I've still only ever had one of those BS
thingies and that was really my own fault.

I suppose I ought to cross fingers at this point...

--
Sue

Old 12-01-2006, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
OE runs under Windows, yes.

Or Linux I was told by the expert Ruppert!

The Web is accessible to all operating systems, it is not an operating
system in itself. All it does is to channel information.

deep sighI thought all knew as I mentioned it before. I use beta
google with your lot. I dropped Turnpike around September last year at
work and replace it with OE. Now I use OE installed at work for emails
and a local forum, I use it at home via the web only. I should put all
my groups onto OE perhaps, but I'm not sure how to start and to tell
you the truth I'm not really bothered either.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Rupert wrote:
10/10 for perseverance.

What's up, Don, can't write to me directly huh!? )

Rupert was congratulating Sue on her perseverance. Not you.

I know that, Oh Bad Breath One, and I'm asking Ruppert why he has to
ask Sue to explain to me the differences between Linux and Windows.
Here, requoted for you below.

Can you now explain to La puce the differences
between Linux and Windows so she can tell which one she is using (at
work or
home)

At work I use OE windows. At home I use the web.

Wherever you are, you still can't read attributions, follow a thread,
understand what others write, or remember what you wrote.
Janet
Janet.

Et toi tu es moche janet janet.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Judith Lea wrote:
- am I worried? (in Catherine Tate
mode) - yeah!

It's 'Am I bothered?'. But 'worried' is good too ... g

Old 12-01-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/1/06 2:25 pm, in article , "Judith
Lea" wrote:

In article , newsb
writes

You can download the latest turnpike from Demon

You are a darling - thank you

Some time ago and thanks to David Poole, I used Agent on my then PC. I
thought it was wonderful. Unhappily there isn't a Mac version. For your
sanity's sake, it might be worth finding a guru who will come to your house,
load Agent onto your computer and give you a short tutorial. I hate and
loathe Google, for example, and won't touch it with a bargepole if I can
help it. Clunky, cumbersome, slow and bossily unco-operative, IMO!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-01-2006, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:33:06 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

snip

Some time ago and thanks to David Poole, I used Agent on my then PC. I
thought it was wonderful. Unhappily there isn't a Mac version. For your
sanity's sake, it might be worth finding a guru who will come to your house,
load Agent onto your computer and give you a short tutorial. I hate and
loathe Google, for example, and won't touch it with a bargepole if I can
help it. Clunky, cumbersome, slow and bossily unco-operative, IMO!

Sacha, I used to use Agent and have just moved over to a Mac. I have found
Hogwasher works very like Agent but is much better. The more I use it the
more I like it. It isn't free, but you can download a free 60 day trial and
play. When I get to the 60 days, I will definitely buy.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 12-01-2006, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

I've seen another rat in the garden. The other day I was quietly
weeding away when just from the corner of my eye I saw something rusty
moving on the ground about 3 m away.

Oy! I represent that remark. (And you must have pretty good eyesight to
see even me moving on the ground three miles away...)

For a wonderful moment I thought it
was the red squirrel getting tame, so very slowly turned my head , and
there was a rat taking a leisurely stroll towards me. It was a much
darker rat than the two-tone cream bellied one seen raiding the trellis
birdfeeder a few weeks ago.

Wearing camou' or make-up, perhaps?

Some years ago I was leaning on one of my field gates chewing a straw,
as one does, with the gun beside me, when a hare approached in a
leisurely fashion down the hedge. I stood there and watched him, and
when he got to a place where I could have picked up the gun and prodded
him, I said: "Hello, Hare!"

Surprised, he turned his head a bit sideways (hares can't see dead
ahead, one hears) and zig-zagged off across the field He could have
stopped and had a chat 'cos the big jug was full of milk.,

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 12-01-2006, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Judith Lea contains these words:

In article , newsb
writes

You can download the latest turnpike from Demon

You are a darling - thank you

So am I, but nobody seems to notice.

Sniff.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-01-2006, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Sue" contains these words:

The first indicator is the 'Crash Co-efficient', or the frequency of the
BSOD.

Hah! A myth I refuse to believe.

I've always used Windows, seeing as those computer-savvy geeky genes
required to fathom the mysteries of Linux have passed me by and been
inherited by Absent Offspring. I've still only ever had one of those BS
thingies and that was really my own fault.

I suppose I ought to cross fingers at this point...

Yes, I think you better had.

I was bragging about the very same thing with the very same statistics
and began having BSODs almost immediatly - or do I mean I'm eejitly?
That was Win 98. The machine was happily running Debian Linux too, and I
decided to install Win 2000 Pro..

After 20 attempts at installing it I had to give up and install it on a
smaller, slower box. It wouldn't install because the faster box had a
SCSI CD ROM drive, and despite loading the drivers (Win 2000 alleged it
had them) it wouldn't find the CD drive during installation. Using
Linux, I even copied the files it needed to a hard drive and when it
wanted to access the CD drive and couldn't find it, I directed it to the
files in the hard drive,

It couldn't find them...

The BIOS found found the CD drive and booted from it, but could Windows
see it?

Debian Linux found it during the installation, but could Windows?

On this box (which has an IDE CD ROM drive) it loaded with no problems,
but it took a lot of persuading to see the two Ultra SCSI HDs and the
two Ultra-Wide ones.

I won't say I often get the BSOD, but sometimes the box doesn't close
down properly and at others it locks up and even a three-fingered salute
won't waken it - but only in Windows.

Running any flavour of Linux it has never even faltered.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-01-2006, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

OE runs under Windows, yes.

Or Linux I was told by the expert Ruppert!

I doubt if he did. You *MIGHT* be able to run it in Wine under Linux,
but that would be like cooking with Chateau Haut Brion 1970

The Web is accessible to all operating systems, it is not an operating
system in itself. All it does is to channel information.

deep sighI thought all knew as I mentioned it before. I use beta
google with your lot.

But you still need to access the web. To do that you must use a computer
with an operating system.

I dropped Turnpike around September last year at
work and replace it with OE. Now I use OE installed at work for emails
and a local forum, I use it at home via the web only. I should put all
my groups onto OE perhaps, but I'm not sure how to start and to tell
you the truth I'm not really bothered either.

Well, I'd be looking for something a hell of a lot safer to use than OE...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-01-2006, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Judith Lea contains these words:

I can do better than that, in the summer when the apples were falling
off the trees, the rats, en masse, were having a party on apple juice,
apple tarts, crumble etc. They were not even bothered about me trying
to put out the washing literally just feet from them - they thought I
was such a calm lady - just standing there very calmly observing their
luncheon habits, they were wrong, I couldn't move, I could barely
breathe and had they taken another step towards me, I had worked out
that I could swing on the washing line and scream for help - this is not
a joke; I was terrified - the gardener said they get drunk on the apples
and he shot them, 4 at a time until we had the vermin man in again. My
neighbours must be gossiping about me - am I worried? (in Catherine Tate
mode) - yeah!

I can beat that, if not for numbers, then with drama.

It was a particularly bad year for rats, they were everywhere, and I had
made a hole through the wall to the outside to accommodate a water pipe.
For some reason, I went into the kitchen around three in the morning,
and a rat leapt into the hole and escaped.

I blocked it up, but mindful that it might well be in the cavity, I sat
up in the shadows the next night with the 9mm garden gun. At about
three, a little face appeared at the hole. Gently and slowly, i raised
the gun, and just as it was beginning to descend into the kitchen -
*CRACK!*

If ever you've seen a western, you'll have seen one of the baddies shot,
and falling off a balcony?

Just like that.

Some minutes later, Mrs Rat appeared. Another balcony job.

A couple of weeks after that I fed the goats late, and disturbed a
*HUGE* rat, which was munching the stuf spilt by the goats. The next
night I took a couple of bales of straw in, tilted the shade of the
light so the (hanging) feed bowl was lit, and I was in shadow, and with
the 12 bore over my knee, waited.

The goats all came and leant up against me, no doubt pleased that I was
being so pally as to come and sleep with them.

Again, at around three in tne morning, Rat appears. I take aim.

*BOOM!*

From folded-up positions, five goats rose several feet vertically,
circling me at speed by Western like Injuns attacking a circle of
wagons. /Western

The rat had been blown about four feet by the blast, and I picked it up
by the tip of the tail and slipped it into a polythene bag. It weighed
just under four pounds, and the base of its tail was as thick as my
thumb.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-01-2006, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

I doubt if he did.

Ruppert said and I quote "10/10 for perseverance. Can you now explain
to La puce the differences between Linux and Windows so she can tell
which one she is using (at work or home)".

So I replied Windows, not linux because it is another operating system,
non? ;o)

You *MIGHT* be able to run it in Wine under Linux,
but that would be like cooking with Chateau Haut Brion 1970

I'm fixing my OE tomorrow. My IT boy's coming. Lucky me, I know ...

But you still need to access the web. To do that you must use a computer
with an operating system.

I've got my own server Rusty. At work that is.

Well, I'd be looking for something a hell of a lot safer to use than OE...

Now he tells me!!! What should I use then?!?