Old 16-01-2006, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Your favourite gardens?

On 16/1/06 3:06 pm, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:25:22 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

snip
Many thanks to everyone who has come up with their favourites and given us
food for thought. I don't think we'll get to Ireland this time - that will
have to be a separate (and expensive) trip! We hope to sort of drive up the
west of England, into Scotland and come back down the east but that's
over-simplifying to quite a degree! Any more thoughts that occur will be
most welcome.

Sacha, if you are driving up the west of England I can very much recommend a
visit to Hampton Court (no, not that one!) in Herefordshire. Details are at
http://www.hamptoncourt.org.uk/. The gardens are most imaginative and
spectacular but not open until Easter (don't remember when you said you would
be doing your tour). I didn't suggest it before because it is probably off
most people's route. We can happily spend the whole day there!

Thanks, Sally. I'm going to look into that, too. We hope to go in that
direction, so I don't see a problem. I've just sent for two of Sawday's
books so that we can plan our hols in relative comfort, too. The general
plan is to go as the whim takes us and using mobiles, ring ahead to reserve
a room each night. We don't want to be tied to specific schedules. We can
never go away until mid to late July at the earliest and as a friend who
lives in France has just told us she's booked her ferry today and is coming
over on 17 August, we're going to go in mid-July, if possible, taking a few
weeks over it. While I love going abroad to get the sun on my back, it
seems ridiculous to have seen so little of Britain and I'm really looking
forward to this. I love holidays where you can just chuck things in the car
and not worry about that extra pair of shoes/wellies or the last minute
raincoat!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-01-2006, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 16/1/06 4:49 pm, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I've just sent for two of Sawday's
books so that we can plan our hols in relative comfort, too. The general
plan is to go as the whim takes us and using mobiles, ring ahead to reserve
a room each night. We don't want to be tied to specific schedules.

We used to do that, but BB touring has become so incredibly popular,
last-minute is no longer a good way to be sure of finding somewhere
"relatively comfortable" and I now always pre-book at least a couple of
days in advance; longer for weekends. Many of the BB's, guesthouses and
hotels on busy tourist routes (which yours is, or in good-quality guides
like Sawday) may not have any vacancies left for same-day bookings, and
don't take any single-night bookings at all for weekends in high season.

Oh dear - thud goes that idea! We've done that a few times in France using
the Guide Michelin or similar and always been lucky. I had hoped.....
Right, so we'll have to think ahead a bit and plan ditto. I think what
we'll try to do is build in a few places where we stay for more than one
night so that it doesn't all just turn into a "this is Tuesday, it must be
Bodnant" sort of thing.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-01-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 16/1/06 4:40 pm, in article , "Judith
Lea" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
While I love going abroad to get the sun on my back, it
seems ridiculous to have seen so little of Britain and I'm really looking
forward to this. I love holidays where you can just chuck things in the car
and not worry about that extra pair of shoes/wellies or the last minute
raincoat!

Are you going to "pop in" and see Janet?. I'm serious, I want to know
where exactly where Janet lives in Scotland, as I have never visited a
Scottish island and I want to stay in a hotel that is native and
prepares "proper" local fare. Do they have any haute couture, 5 minutes
pretty walks up Janet's way, or will the old slippers do? Remember, I
don't do walking only gardening.

Yes, I hope we do 'pop' - assuming Janet (and Keith and Susie Thompson) are
there, of course! The only part of Scotland I've ever been to was near
Dunkeld and that was only once and over 27 years ago! And you've reminded
me that I badly need new slippers - wouldn't dare get gold ones, of course.
;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-01-2006, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Cairns

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 16:46:54 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip, though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

The Next one.
Neil
Old 16-01-2006, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eur Ing John Rye

Hello Sacha

If you are coming back down the East of the country and make it as far as
East Anglia you should consider :-

The gardens made by the Blooms at Bressingham

Beth Chatto's Gardens near Colchester

RHS Hyde Hall Gardens near Chelmsford

Capel Manor by the North Loop of the M25

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England

Old 17-01-2006, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , Janet Baraclough

On Arran, haute couture, mostly fleece and goretex, is strictly for
mountaintops. Gold slippers would be excellent for flashing a little
distress signal to the rescue helicopter :-)

Right, I am about to Google in on Arran and Brodick; and also I shall
have a look at travel and how to get there - I don't suppose McRyanair
do a cheap flight do they?

I will definitely bring the gold slippers - what size do you take?
--
Judith Lea
Old 17-01-2006, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , Eur Ing John Rye
writes
Hello Sacha

If you are coming back down the East of the country and make it as far as
East Anglia you should consider :-

and Also drop in on Chez Lea, stay the night and enjoy a good meal
cooked by Edward who does a marvellous flambe.
--
Judith Lea
Old 17-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha
We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip, though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)
If you haven't already, check out this site, you may find it useful:
http://www.greatbritishgardens.co.uk/index.htm
A couple of my favourites are Harold Peto's gardens at Iford Manor near Bath, and Heale House near Salisbury.
MarkA
Old 17-01-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , Sacha
writes
Sadly not, she died just over a year ago. ;-( He's the last of his
generation of 6 siblings! I thought I'd emailed you when she died. If I
didn't, it was very remiss of me indeed because you were so kind to her when
she was in hospital a few years back. His niece is near you, though.

Oh Gosh, I am so sorry, she was such a lovely lady, and very fond of her
brother and you.

--
Judith Lea