Old 06-01-2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Your favourite gardens?

We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip, though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-01-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Regret that you will be unable to stay at the Shanklin Manor House Hotel,
the Manor mentioned in the Doomsday Book, as it is reverting to private
accommodation.

Just to save your plans if they were to stay at this prestigious
establishment

Mike

Happy New Year
www.rnshipmates.co.uk
.uk...

Old 06-01-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Cap

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 16:46:54 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip, though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

Sissinghurst, Kent.
http://www.invectis.co.uk/sissing/
Wisley, Surrey
http://www.rhs.org.uk/whatson/gardens/wisley/index.asp

Andy
Old 06-01-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:
We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip, though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

Sissinghurst in August. Heaven )

Old 06-01-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are
trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and
plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions
as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip,
though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting
from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

There are so many.One of the often neglected is Newby Hall
http://www.newbyhall.co.uk/netbuildp...5e114cd ef22f

Old 06-01-2006, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

http://www.botanic.co.uk/

contact me for accommodation on the Isle of Wight

Mike

Happy New Year
www.rnshipmates.co.uk
.uk...

Old 06-01-2006, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay Easton

In message , Rupert
writes

There are so many.One of the often neglected is Newby Hall
http://www.newbyhall.co.uk/netbuildp...html?PHPSESSID
=492073550dc0b6e0b0be5e114cdef22f

And while you're in the area, York Gate.

http://www.perennial.org.uk/yorkgate.html

You'll know it from the RHS tomes! ;-)

--
Kay Easton
Old 06-01-2006, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote
We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are
trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and
plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions
as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip,
though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting
from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

1. The Savill Garden in the Great Park at Windsor, excellent in spring with
all the Rhodos, Camellias and trees in bloom but in summer their Herbaceous
Borders are the best, and best kept, I've ever seen (if they have got rid of
their Bindweed problem) and their rose garden is beautifully kept too (if
you like that sort of thing!). Interesting plants by the big wall and in the
greenhouse which will be of interest to Ray. Always deserted compared to
other gardens. Grass can be damp under foot so wear appropriate shoes. You
can take a picnic, there is a cafe, but an amazing new cafe and visitors
centre etc is being built. Fantastic view of Windsor Castle from the Copper
Horse in the Park.
http://www.savill-garden.co.uk/

2. Kew Gardens, so much to see it would take a couple of days at least. Lots
of interesting plants. Lots of kids, school parties etc. but it is a big
area. I love the Temperate House myself. You can picnic, food expensive but
OK, best snacks are at Victoria Gate. New Alpine House under construction.
http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/

3. RHS Wisley, worth a visit BUT lots of people too so parking can be
difficult. New huge greenhouse now up but don't know when it will be
finished. Plant centre expensive, some things are double what local GC's
charge. No picnicing allowed (but people do). Cafe naff last time I tried
it, try the Restaurant [or get a bacon roll at Newlands Corner instead.
:-) ]
http://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley/index.asp

4. West Dean Garden, Singleton, W.Sussex. they run the famous Tomato and
Chilli weekends during the summer too so if you could time your visit to one
of those weekends so much the better. Nice cafe.
http://www.chichesteruk.com/attracti...an_gardens.htm

5. West Green Garden.
http://www.westgreenhousegardens.co.uk/

--
Regards
Bob

Old 06-01-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Sacha wrote:
We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are
trying to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit
down and plan the routes we take 'there and back' but would be
grateful for suggestions as to 'must see' gardens. Some might have
to wait for a separate trip, though. Ray has seen several, I've seen
very few so in a sense, we're starting from scratch. What are *your*
favourite gardens in *your* area and further afield, too. All
suggestions gratefully received!

I'm not big on visiting gardens etc but Croxteth Hall in Liverpool is quite
impressive, it has a walled Victorian garden (which was once heated, through
the walls!) and some very old apple trees:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/local...all/park.shtml

And:
http://www.croxteth.co.uk/

The hall is over 400 years old.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Sacha
writes
We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip, though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

Scotland

* Arduaine, Argyll
* Culzean Castle, Ayrshire
* Glenwhan, Wigtownshire
* Inverewe, Wester Ross
* Logan Botanic Gardens, Wigtownshire
* Threave Gardens, Stewartry of Kirkcudbright

Cumbria

* Holker Hall
* Muncaster Castle

Northumbria

* Belsay
* Cragside
* Wallington

North Wales

* Bodnant

Mid Wales

* Powis Castle

North Midlands

* Biddulph Grange
* Dorothy Clive Gardens
* Ness Botanic Gardens

West Midlands

* Birmingham Botanic Gardens
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 07-01-2006, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Sacha wrote:
We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip, though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

I don't know if all cities and towns do it but Oxford produces a booklet
which denotes which family homes are then open to the public, to show
works of art and as a lot of it is in back gardens then that's an
opportunity in itself.

http://www.artweeks.org/

The bad part of my brain says "take a shovel!"

Richard.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are
trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and
plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions
as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip,
though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting
from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

Mountstewart in NI is about 1-2 hours drive SE from belfast and is stunning
(BIG house and BIG garden)

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...-mountstewart/

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-01-2006, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are
trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and
plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions
as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip,
though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting
from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

Mountstewart in NI is about 1-2 hours drive SE from belfast and is
stunning (BIG house and BIG garden)

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...-mountstewart/

my mistake (we took a very roundabout route when we were there); it is less
than an hours from Belfast and you can even get a bus by the sounds of it.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-01-2006, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 9/1/06 11:22, in article ,
"Des Higgins" wrote:

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are
trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and
plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions
as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip,
though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting
from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

Mountstewart in NI is about 1-2 hours drive SE from belfast and is
stunning (BIG house and BIG garden)

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main.../w-mountstewar
t/

my mistake (we took a very roundabout route when we were there); it is less
than an hours from Belfast and you can even get a bus by the sounds of it.

Many thanks to everyone who has come up with their favourites and given us
food for thought. I don't think we'll get to Ireland this time - that will
have to be a separate (and expensive) trip! We hope to sort of drive up the
west of England, into Scotland and come back down the east but that's
over-simplifying to quite a degree! Any more thoughts that occur will be
most welcome.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-01-2006, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:25:22 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

On 9/1/06 11:22, in article ,
"Des Higgins" wrote:

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are
trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and
plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions
as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip,
though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting
from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

snip

Many thanks to everyone who has come up with their favourites and given us
food for thought. I don't think we'll get to Ireland this time - that will
have to be a separate (and expensive) trip! We hope to sort of drive up the
west of England, into Scotland and come back down the east but that's
over-simplifying to quite a degree! Any more thoughts that occur will be
most welcome.

Sacha, if you are driving up the west of England I can very much recommend a
visit to Hampton Court (no, not that one!) in Herefordshire. Details are at
http://www.hamptoncourt.org.uk/. The gardens are most imaginative and
spectacular but not open until Easter (don't remember when you said you would
be doing your tour). I didn't suggest it before because it is probably off
most people's route. We can happily spend the whole day there!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk