GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Yields of Vegetables (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/110489-yields-vegetables.html)

Eur Ing John Rye 10-01-2006 11:45 AM

Yields of Vegetables

Hello Mel

In article ,
Mel wrote:
I know this question is probably a bit "how long is a piece of string" but
I'm asking anyway.

I'm planning the layout of my new allotment and, now that I've decided what
to grow, I now want to work out how many of each plant to grow, to provide
for a family of four.

Obviously, how much to grow will depend on how much of each vegetable my
family eats but, as a rough guide, how many pounds of sprouts will one
sprout plant produce, how many pounds will one potato give, one pea plant
will produce ? lbs of peas, etc.

I've looked on t'internet without success, so does anyone have a list
they've made, know of a book with the info, or know generally from
experience?

You do not seem to be getting any quantitative replies, so here goes.

The ABC series of books published in the 1950's often had useful information
on the INSIDE of the book sleeve. I have the one on cloche gardening, and it
has a "Guide to supply a family of 5 or 6 for a year". It is too long to type
into a news contribution, but it reckons :-

Broad Beans - You need 22 lbs = 1 30 ft row. (1/4 pint of seed)

Runner Beans - You need 75 lbs = 1 30 foot row (1/4 pint of seed)

Carrots(Maincrop)- You need 56 lb = 2 30 foot rows (1/2 oz seed)

and so on.

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England

Bob Hobden 10-01-2006 10:52 PM

Yields of Vegetables

"Mel" wrote
I know this question is probably a bit "how long is a piece of string" but
I'm asking anyway.

I'm planning the layout of my new allotment and, now that I've decided
what
to grow, I now want to work out how many of each plant to grow, to provide
for a family of four.

Obviously, how much to grow will depend on how much of each vegetable my
family eats but, as a rough guide, how many pounds of sprouts will one
sprout plant produce, how many pounds will one potato give, one pea plant
will produce ? lbs of peas, etc.

I've looked on t'internet without success, so does anyone have a list
they've made, know of a book with the info, or know generally from
experience?

I'm sure farmers have a guide but they use chemicals and scientific
analysis of their soil etc.

With an allotment there are too many variables for a definitive answer to
that question...
How good a grower are you?
How good is your soil for that crop?
What variety will you grow?
What fertilizer will you use?
Are you strictly "organic" or will you use chemicals as last resort?
What sort of weather is it going to be this year?
Can you use a hose?......

--
Regards
Bob

Janet Baraclough 11-01-2006 12:07 AM

Yields of Vegetables

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Can you use a hose?......

IRTA "can you use a horse"

Must get eyes tested

Janet

Rusty Hinge 2 11-01-2006 12:32 AM

Yields of Vegetables

The message
from "Mel" contains these words:

I know this question is probably a bit "how long is a piece of string" but
I'm asking anyway.

I'm planning the layout of my new allotment and, now that I've decided what
to grow, I now want to work out how many of each plant to grow, to provide
for a family of four.

Obviously, how much to grow will depend on how much of each vegetable my
family eats but, as a rough guide, how many pounds of sprouts will one
sprout plant produce, how many pounds will one potato give, one pea plant
will produce ? lbs of peas, etc.

I've looked on t'internet without success, so does anyone have a list
they've made, know of a book with the info, or know generally from
experience?

My advice would be to get a freezer if you haven't already got one, and
then plant as much as possible.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 11-01-2006 09:36 AM

Yields of Vegetables

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Can you use a hose?......

IRTA "can you use a horse"

To feed http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...n/rhubarb0.jpg I'm
about to use the horses which pass on the other side of the hedge across
the road. I use the word 'pass' advisedly.

Must get eyes tested

Must get bucket and shovel.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

JB 11-01-2006 09:53 AM

Yields of Vegetables

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:39:29 GMT, "Mel" wrote:

I know this question is probably a bit "how long is a piece of string" but
I'm asking anyway.

I'm planning the layout of my new allotment and, now that I've decided what
to grow, I now want to work out how many of each plant to grow, to provide
for a family of four.

Obviously, how much to grow will depend on how much of each vegetable my
family eats but, as a rough guide, how many pounds of sprouts will one
sprout plant produce, how many pounds will one potato give, one pea plant
will produce ? lbs of peas, etc.

I've looked on t'internet without success, so does anyone have a list
they've made, know of a book with the info, or know generally from
experience?

Many thanks.

Best advice is the advice anyone with a neighbouring allotment can
give you as you will be constrained by not just how prolific each crop
is but whether or not you can grow it at all in your soil / latitude /
prevalent wind etc.

Having said that it is one of those things that most guides seem to
assume is common knowledge and forget that one might in cheerful
ignorance plant four carrots and four hundred courgettes. After a
couple of years I'm getting a handle on how prolific what I grow is
but if there was such a guide out there I would be interested.

Mike Lyle 11-01-2006 12:29 PM

Yields of Vegetables

wrote:

I know this question is probably a bit "how long is a piece of
string" but I'm asking anyway.

I'm planning the layout of my new allotment and, now that I've
decided what to grow, I now want to work out how many of each

plant
to grow, to provide for a family of four.

[...]

I've looked on t'internet without success, so does anyone have a

list
they've made, know of a book with the info, or know generally from
experience?

Many thanks.

Best advice is the advice anyone with a neighbouring allotment can
give you as you will be constrained by not just how prolific each

crop
is but whether or not you can grow it at all in your soil /

latitude /
prevalent wind etc.

Having said that it is one of those things that most guides seem to
assume is common knowledge and forget that one might in cheerful
ignorance plant four carrots and four hundred courgettes. After a
couple of years I'm getting a handle on how prolific what I grow is
but if there was such a guide out there I would be interested.

ISTR that at least one of Lawrence D. Hills's books mentions expected
yields (sorry: they're in boxes). Back in about 1974ish, Gardening
Which? published a plan for a veg plot with figures for average
yields: some compulsive hoarder must still have that issue.

Joy Larkcom's very good _Vegetables For Small Gardens_ has a detailed
chapter on planning, with special reference to the needs of a family,
but doesn't actually predict yields. For some people, the book may
seem like too much information in too concentrated a form, but those
who like that kind of thing will find it's the kind of thing that
they like. I reckon it's as good a starting-point as any.

--
Mike.

JB 11-01-2006 02:31 PM

Yields of Vegetables

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:29:10 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Joy Larkcom's very good _Vegetables For Small Gardens_ has a detailed
chapter on planning, with special reference to the needs of a family,
but doesn't actually predict yields. For some people, the book may
seem like too much information in too concentrated a form, but those
who like that kind of thing will find it's the kind of thing that
they like. I reckon it's as good a starting-point as any.

Unfortunately that seems to be pretty unavailable. What is available
is "Grow your own vegetables" by Joy Larkcom which, judging by the
reviews on Amazon, seems to be well received. Does anyone know if that
covers the same material?

jay jay 11-01-2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lyle

wrote:

[...]

Hi,

I have a few of Joy Larkcom's books and they are all very good - you can choose between those with lots of glossy pictures, or a paperback packed full of information. I'm pretty sure it was in one of her books that I read three courgette plants will yield enough courgettes for a small family.

One bit of advice I would give (from experience!) don't try and grow everything you ever want to eat in your first year - less is more!

jay jay

cliff_the_gardener 11-01-2006 05:50 PM

Yields of Vegetables

I have a book Your Kitchen Garden by George Seddon & Helena Radecka
isbn 0855337850 (which I got when I got my first allotment- lotty £5,
book £10.95 in 1990), it is half gardening, half cook book, and for
veg I find it invaluable.
There is a table quoting figures from the National Society of Leisure
Gardeners (renamed the Nationall Allotment and Garden Society) of what
a person with an elementary knowledge of gardening can expect from a
plot measuring 300 square yard (250sq m) after a couple of years
experience. The book then goes on to say how much seed you need, which
I have added to the table.

As far as yield goes, I'll leave the maths to you Mel!

Here's the detail
Carrots 28lb
Sow March to July, ready 5 1/2 months; 1/2oz of seed sows 50 ft.
Yield upwards of 3lb from 10ft row, picked young or 8lb if left as a
main crop.
Spacing 4in for intermediate, long roots need more space

Parsnips 75lb
Sow February to April; ready in 7 1/2 months; 1oz of seed sows 50 feet.
Yield 10lb from 10 feet
Spacing 8in

Beet 86lb
Sow March to June; ready in 2 months; 4 months for main crop. 1oz seed
will sow 50ft
Yield 10lb from 10 feet
Spacing 4-8in depending on type

Lettuce 280 heads
Sow March to July; ready in 2 months; 1/2 oz of seed provides 2000
plants
Yield 12 lettuces from 10 feet

Radish 24 bunches
Sow March to August; ready in 1 1/2 months. 1oz of seed will sow
30feet
Yield 3lb from 10 feet

Broad bean 24 lb
Sow February to April, July and November; ready from 3 1/2 months; 1/2
pint of seed sows 30ft.
Yield 25lb from 10 feet
Spacing 5in apart

Peas 45lb
Sow March to June; ready from 3 1/2 months; 1 pint of seed sows 50feet
Yield 10lb from 10 feet
Spacing 2in apart in rows 4in apart

Cabbage 66 heads
Sow March to July, planting out about 2 months after sowing; Ready in 4
1/2 months. 1 oz seed produces 2000 plants.
Yield 16lb from 10 feet;
Spacing 24 in apart

Spring cabbage 108 heads
Spring cabbage 8lb from 10 feet
Spacing 18in apart

Brussels Sprouts 35lb
Sow March, April; plant May, June; Ready from 6 months; 1oz of seed
produces more than 1500 plants
Yield 8lb of sprouts from 10 feet
( So with a spacing of 36ins, thats 7 plants to 10ft row - 1lb of
sprouts from 1 plant seems low, but then again I just eat them, don't
weigh em)

Turnips 29lb
Sow February to July; ready from 2 1/2 months; 1/2 oz of seed sows 60
feet
Yield 7lb from 10 feet
spacing 6in apart

Runner Beans 61lb
Sow May, June, ready in 4 months; 1/2pt seed sows 30ft
Yield 35lb from 10ft
Spacing 6in

Dwarf beans 19lb
Sow April to June; ready from 3 months; 1/4pt seed sows 30 feet.
Yield 8lb from 10ft
Spacing 10 in

Savouys 66 heads
Sow April, May, plant out July, August
Spacing 24in apart

Marrows 24

Onions 192lb
from seed - sow March, April; Ready in 6 1/2 months; 1/2 oz sows 50ft
Yield 8lb from 10ft
Spacing 4-6in

Spring onions (thinnings) 20 bunches
Parsley as required

Potatoes
early 84lb
main crop 410lb
Plant late feb to May; ready from 3 1/2 months; 7lb seed potaoes plant
60ft
Yield 10lb from 10ft earlies, 15lb from 10ft for main crop
Spacing 24in earlies, 30in main crop

Leeks 96
Sow March, April; plant June; ready 6 months; 1/2oz of seed provides
plants for 60ft
Yield 10lb from 10ft
spacing 6in

Broccoli 130 heads
Sow April; plant May, June; ready from 6 months. 1oz seed produces more
than 1500 plants
Yield 10lb from 10ft
Spacing 20-24in

Celery 48 heads
Sow February to April in the greenhousae, plant June; ready from 7
months. There are around 50,000 seeds in 1oz
Yield 12lb from 10ft

Swedes 44lb
Sow May, Jun; ready from 5 months. 1/2 oz seed sows 60ft
Yield 10lb from 10ft
spacing 8in

Tomatoes 120 lb
For outdoor toms. Sow Feb, March in greenhouse; Plant May,June; ready
5 months; 1/2 oz seed could produce 1000 plants.
Yield 4lb per plant

Gooseberries 18lb
Rhubarb 7lb
Cucumber (frame) 20

The book mentions that a garden measuring 400 sq yards can meet most of
the vegetable requirements of a family of four
A standard alotment of 300sq yards will take at least 150 hours to
cultivate; a 400sq yard plot which includes potatoes would add more
than 50 hours

Clifford
Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Bob Hobden 11-01-2006 10:55 PM

Yields of Vegetables

"jay jay" wrote ((snip))

One bit of advice I would give (from experience!) don't try and grow
everything you ever want to eat in your first year - less is more!

And only grow what you and your family will eat.
Obvious I know, but I've seen new veg gardeners plant all sorts of things
only for them to end up on the compost heap because no-one in the family
would eat them, or in one case, knew how to cook them. Start with the usual
suspects first and then widen your scope but ensure the cook in the family
knows whats coming.
You also need to understand that the veg will often contain meat, is the
cook in the household prepared for that? I've heard of one case where they
rejected all future allotment produce because of one slug in a cabbage.
Crazy I know, but true.

Gardening_Convert 12-01-2006 10:42 AM

Yields of Vegetables

Other advise I've seen is grow what is not so readily available in the
shops or is expensive but of course stuff you actually eat.

I.e. if you eat a lot of onions , most meals use an onion then are you
likely to be able grow enough for your use ?

Would you better off using the space for things you can grow enough of
or taste better home grown.

I did find that the River cottage website had some good info and links
to local organic producers etc.

There is also the possibilty of growing to sell and going to farmers
markets etc

I'm not an expert , still waiting to get an allotment plot , probably
won't get one in time for this year (unless someone croaks it !!) but
it seems sensible

La Puce 12-01-2006 10:03 PM

Yields of Vegetables

Gardening_Convert wrote:

There is also the possibilty of growing to sell and going to farmers
markets etc

Tut tut... you're not allowed to do that anymore I'm afarid. Unless the
soil has been tested and certified by a white coat I'd imagine, green
would be more approapriate don't you think ..., err... certified that
it's not polluted and safe to produce and sell to eat vegetables.

And flowers ... nobody mentioned flowers. Mel, grow some flowers too
luv!

Mel 13-01-2006 09:21 PM

Yields of Vegetables

"cliff_the_gardener" wrote
I have a book Your Kitchen Garden by George Seddon & Helena Radecka
There is a table quoting figures from the National Society of Leisure
Gardeners (renamed the Nationall Allotment and Garden Society) of what

Many thanks to everyone who answered my query regarding vegetable yields,
but a particular massive thanks to Cliff for taking time and effort to type
out the list of veggies/yields. I have the book that you mention, Cliff,
but I can't find the list of yields (what page is it on?).

Once again, huge thanks to everyone.

Regards,
Mel