GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mystery plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/110527-mystery-plant.html)

stevej 12-01-2006 10:34 AM

mystery plant

Hi

I was recently given a small plant which I am trying to identify, here's
what I can tell you.

It flowers yellow in either spring or summer

It's quite small, I think it's a slow grower and gets fuller rather than
taller

Evergreen, quite healthy looking now in the UK

The foliage (mid green) is spiky from the ground and quite 'hard' I presume,
as it stands up (doesn't wilt), It look's a little bit like a human hand
sticking out of the ground.

Any ideas ?

MTIA
Steve

Rupert 12-01-2006 10:46 AM

mystery plant

"stevej" wrote in message
Hi

I was recently given a small plant which I am trying to identify, here's
what I can tell you.

It flowers yellow in either spring or summer

It's quite small, I think it's a slow grower and gets fuller rather than
taller

Evergreen, quite healthy looking now in the UK

The foliage (mid green) is spiky from the ground and quite 'hard' I
presume, as it stands up (doesn't wilt), It look's a little bit like a
human hand sticking out of the ground.

Any ideas ?

MTIA
Steve

Some type of Oxalis perhaps?

Des Higgins 12-01-2006 11:22 AM

mystery plant

"stevej" wrote in message
Hi

I was recently given a small plant which I am trying to identify, here's
what I can tell you.

It flowers yellow in either spring or summer

It's quite small, I think it's a slow grower and gets fuller rather than
taller

Evergreen, quite healthy looking now in the UK

The foliage (mid green) is spiky from the ground and quite 'hard' I
presume, as it stands up (doesn't wilt), It look's a little bit like a
human hand sticking out of the ground.

Sysyrynchium??
http://bonsaibc.ca/peninsula/Sisyrin...ellow_2002.JPG

Any ideas ?

MTIA
Steve

stevej 12-01-2006 12:09 PM

mystery plant

Sysyrynchium -Thats it Des, cheers -

Now when friends ask I know what it is, I only wish I could pronounce it ;-)

Steve

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

stevej 12-01-2006 12:12 PM

mystery plant

ps - Des - is this a rare plant, it's not in none of my books and google
isn't coming up with much ?

Steve

"stevej" wrote in message
Sysyrynchium -Thats it Des, cheers -

Now when friends ask I know what it is, I only wish I could pronounce it
;-)

La Puce 12-01-2006 01:33 PM

mystery plant

stevej wrote:
ps - Des - is this a rare plant, it's not in none of my books and google
isn't coming up with much ?

Here. It wasn't spelt properly that's why. It's Sisyrinchium. Though I
thought the flowers where blue ... Check this site.

http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/

Des Higgins 12-01-2006 02:03 PM

mystery plant

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

stevej wrote:
ps - Des - is this a rare plant, it's not in none of my books and google
isn't coming up with much ?

Here. It wasn't spelt properly that's why. It's Sisyrinchium. Though I
thought the flowers where blue ... Check this site.

http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/

There are piles of species and varieties. The standard garden ones have
either a spike of lemon yellow flowers or there is a blue one as you say.
We have a nice low growing one with bright butter yellow flowers (as
described inteh original post) and I have no idea what species or variety it
is as we got it from an aunt and she did not even know it was a sysrthingy
never mind which species.

Des Higgins 12-01-2006 02:05 PM

mystery plant

"stevej" wrote in message
Sysyrynchium -Thats it Des, cheers -

Now when friends ask I know what it is, I only wish I could pronounce it
;-)

throwt-wobb-lerr-man-grove

Des Higgins 12-01-2006 02:09 PM

mystery plant

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

stevej wrote:
ps - Des - is this a rare plant, it's not in none of my books and google
isn't coming up with much ?

Here. It wasn't spelt properly that's why. It's Sisyrinchium. Though I
thought the flowers where blue ... Check this site.

http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/

having googled with the correct spelling to find the picture in the first
place, I mistyped it when replying to teh e-mail.
google has hundreds of images listed.

La Puce 12-01-2006 02:12 PM

mystery plant

Des Higgins wrote:
There are piles of species and varieties. The standard garden ones have
either a spike of lemon yellow flowers or there is a blue one as you say.
We have a nice low growing one with bright butter yellow flowers (as
described inteh original post) and I have no idea what species or variety it
is as we got it from an aunt and she did not even know it was a sysrthingy
never mind which species.

Hmmm... that's getting interesting. Try Sisyrinchium striatum. I bet
that's the one. Any chance to see yours because you know, looking at
the picture above and the name, and then thinking about a yellow
sisyrinchium and having seen one, the yellow ones do not look like the
picture someone (sorry I forgot who did) produced earlier on this
thread.

Me think we're getting a bit muddled in here :o)

Des Higgins 12-01-2006 02:24 PM

mystery plant

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Des Higgins wrote:
[...]

aaargh
I was not at all muddled but now you have me baffled :-).

What I have in my garden looks roughly like the picture I posted and is a
Sisyrinchium although a different species.
It has bright yellow flowers and is not S.striatum.
It is very low groing (less than 6"/15cm tall).
You also get them with blue or lemon flowers (e.g. S.striatum) or indeed
other colours.
There are lots and lots of different species (google the name and select
IMAGES only and you get page after page of them).
There are also one or two native in the UK and (I think) Ireland and I have
seen the blue ones called blue eyed grass.
Mine is just like teh one below but, as I said, with bright butter yellow
flowers and only 6" high.

http://www.mytho-fleurs.com/images/j...m%20bellum.JPG

stevej 12-01-2006 02:43 PM

mystery plant

The url Des gave contained the correct spelling, Sisyrinchium.

Yes, thanks I have found some information now with this spelling. They like
well-drained and my soil is somewhat clayey so it's digging sand in for me
at weekend

Des Higgins 12-01-2006 03:06 PM

mystery plant

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "stevej" contains these words:

ps - Des - is this a rare plant, it's not in none of my books and google
isn't coming up with much ?

The url Des gave contained the correct spelling, Sisyrinchium.

In the UK, your plant is probably Sisyrinchium bellum (yellow flowers)

the habit of my plant is similar to S.bellum but google says the latter has
blue flowers.
Either it is another species or S.bellum can be yellow as well. Either way,
it is pretty.
I checked for any pages from Ireland only (I do not know how to restrict
google to uk pages)
and I found:

http://www.iol.ie/~maryfry/plant135.html

which gives "Yellow eyed grass" as similar to blue eyed grass (S.
angustifolium which I have also seen in garden centres here)
and says it is S.californicum or brachypus. My bet is on the latter; at
least that is what I will tell people who ask what it
is from now on :-). It sounds impressive even if wrong.

or (taller) Sisyrinchium striatum (creamy flowers). They're common
hardy plants.

Janet

La Puce 12-01-2006 04:21 PM

mystery plant

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The url Des gave contained the correct spelling, Sisyrinchium.
In the UK, your plant is probably Sisyrinchium bellum (yellow flowers)
or (taller) Sisyrinchium striatum (creamy flowers). They're common
hardy plants.

Why don't you just requote all what I said two posts previously. It
would save you time rewriting, and us re-reading!! Honestly ...

La Puce 12-01-2006 07:06 PM

mystery plant

Janet Baraclough wrote:

What a moron. You really haven't the faintest clue how usenet,
news-servers, and newsreaders work, do you?

You come in here repeating what I said, re-spelling what I wrote and
Des wrote, confirming correct spelling as if asked, describing 3
varieties of flowers which we had already reviewed and discussed and
now calls me a moron when I point out to you that you just simply
repeated my second post. The moron is you Janet I'm afraid. I don't
give a fig about usenet, news servers and whatnot but I can confirm
that you're nasty and ugly. That I can.