Old 12-01-2006, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts

Default Bamboo shoots in water - pot up?

Hi,

I have a couple of those decorative glass pots with short lengths of
bamboo stem standing in water.

Most people will have seen them; they have been hard to avoid in the run
up to Christmas.

They are not growing very quickly but then it is winter.

The instructions say not to feed but just keep topped up with water.

I assume these are not suitable for all year outside growth in the UK (but
you never know); I was just wondering why you weren't supposed to feed
them.
Perhaps they start to grow too fast?

I also wondered what would happen if you potted them up in a normal
potting compost.
Has anyone tried this?

Cheers
Dave R
Old 12-01-2006, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"David WE Roberts" wrote
I have a couple of those decorative glass pots with short lengths of
bamboo stem standing in water.

Most people will have seen them; they have been hard to avoid in the run
up to Christmas.

They are not growing very quickly but then it is winter.

The instructions say not to feed but just keep topped up with water.

I assume these are not suitable for all year outside growth in the UK (but
you never know); I was just wondering why you weren't supposed to feed
them.
Perhaps they start to grow too fast?

I also wondered what would happen if you potted them up in a normal
potting compost.
Has anyone tried this?

All the ones I've seen are not Bamboo at all but Draceana sanderiana..see...
http://www.tropicalflora.com/Dracean...Sanderiana.htm

An easily grown plant from the wet tropics of west africa.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 13-01-2006, 03:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tuppence

All the ones I've seen are not Bamboo at all but Draceana
sanderiana..see...
http://www.tropicalflora.com/Dracean...Sanderiana.htm

An easily grown plant from the wet tropics of west africa.

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

Thailand is in West Africa?
Glad you're not the navigator on any of the aircraft or ships I've travelled
in.

Tuppence

Old 13-01-2006, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I have a couple of those decorative glass pots with short lengths of
bamboo stem standing in water.

Most people will have seen them; they have been hard to avoid in the run
up to Christmas.

They are not growing very quickly but then it is winter.

The instructions say not to feed but just keep topped up with water.

I assume these are not suitable for all year outside growth in the UK (but
you never know); I was just wondering why you weren't supposed to feed
them.
Perhaps they start to grow too fast?

I also wondered what would happen if you potted them up in a normal
potting compost.
Has anyone tried this?
Dave R

I have one which started to grow roots. I potted it up and it's growing well
(indoors)
I've had it for a couple of years now..........
Jenny

Old 13-01-2006, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:40:07 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

"David WE Roberts" wrote

snip
All the ones I've seen are not Bamboo at all but Draceana sanderiana..see...
http://www.tropicalflora.com/Dracean...Sanderiana.htm

An easily grown plant from the wet tropics of west africa.

Yep - those are the ones.
All showing plenty of root, so prime candidates for potting on.

I have some tall and twisted and a short clump.

As regards the wet tropics I don't think Berkshire fully qualifies.

I doubt they are frost hardy, but you never know.

The short clump is starting to go yellow, despite being in a window.
The tall and twisted seems fine, despite being in generally low light.
Possibly too cold on the window sill.

I wonder if you pot them up they will form a nice indoor 'bamboo' clump?

Still not sure why you are not supposed to feed them, though.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 13-01-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Tuppence" wrote
All the ones I've seen are not Bamboo at all but Draceana
sanderiana..see...
http://www.tropicalflora.com/Dracean...Sanderiana.htm

An easily grown plant from the wet tropics of west africa.

Thailand is in West Africa?
Glad you're not the navigator on any of the aircraft or ships I've
travelled in.

I understood D.sanderiana came from wet tropical West Africa although, of
course, a lot are now grown in Thailand, Sri Lanka, Singapore. etc.....for
the plant trade.
Are you saying it's also native to Thailand?