Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Alan Holmes

Default Does anyone feel like me?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these

words:

I'd like to see a 'What to do this week/month' article.

Log onto a competent garden website, join an e-list, or buy a
gardening magazine, and your wish will be granted.

In the time it takes to log on to a web site I can download around 300
articles from newsgroups!

e-lists often contaim a lot of unneccessary rubbish, a bit like newsgrpoups
really!(:-)
Except that one can chose what to download from newsgroups.

I have, in the past, been silly enough to subscribe to an e-list and I
closed the e-list after about a week, there was so much rubbish.

So how about a sensible answer?

Alan

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Kate Morgan

I'd like to see a 'What to do this week/month' article.

Log onto a competent garden website, join an e-list, or buy a
gardening magazine, and your wish will be granted.

Yes of course we can and do, it is possibly selfish to expect another
list of what to do etc. It just seems better when put together by
someone that we feel that we sort of know :-)
kate
Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these

words:

I'd like to see a 'What to do this week/month' article.

Log onto a competent garden website, join an e-list, or buy a
gardening magazine, and your wish will be granted.

In the time it takes to log on to a web site I can download around 300
articles from newsgroups!

And how long will someone have to expend writing an article just so you
don't have to look for a web page?

e-lists often contaim a lot of unneccessary rubbish, a bit like newsgrpoups
really!(:-)
Except that one can chose what to download from newsgroups.

So how about a sensible answer?

I was perfectly sensible - why expect someone (or multiples) to reinvent
the wheel.

Sure if someone wishes to do such a thing good luck to them - maybe you
could start? Personally I think it's a rather unnecessary thing.

I like Nick's suggestion of people posting with their 'What I mostly be
doing this week' suggestions though.

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Chris French and Helen Johnson writes:

| I like Nick's suggestion of people posting with their 'What I mostly be
| doing this week' suggestions though.

It was Alan Gould's, actually.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Sharon Curtis wrote:

In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
"mandy thomas" writes:
| I'd also like to see something like this, but isn't one of the problems that
| even within the UK there is quite a wide variation in temperatures and
| seasonal changes, so it would be hard to give advice appropriate for all?

Actually, this is a FPM (Frequently Posted Myth). There is relatively
little variation within the UK, though there is enough that simple
advice like that has to be modified for location.

I don't think this is a myth at all. I was talking to my Dad (in Cornwall)
on March 16th, and apparently their daffodils have been out for a month
now. Ours haven't really got started up here (in Clackmannanshire).

The neighbour either side of me have had daffodil flowers for 2 weeks
now. My miniature ones started flowering (opening) yesterday.

Kostas

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Drakanthus

Not sure I agree. In my neck of the woods - Herts - last year was *much*
later than the year before. I have a clear marker for the march - may
2001 period because that's when my mum was terminally ill. She got to
see a lot of things that arrived much later the following year.

This year seems closer to last year and nowhere near 2001.

The seasons seem to be all over the place. This week I have been basking in the
sunshine in my summerhouse but exactly two years ago (to the day!) my garden was
covered in six inches of snow.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
| I like Nick's suggestion of people posting with their 'What I mostly be
| doing this week' suggestions though.

It was Alan Gould's, actually.

Thanks Nick - so I'd better do mine !

Clearing out silted dyke - some very good looking compost coming out
Potting up self set teasle seedlings . [YES, teasles - we like them!]
Repairs to polytunmnel doors and punctured PVC skin
Sowing row of rocket in polytunnel for early salad greens
First mowing of the year around soft fruit bushes
Strimming off overgrown bank prior to setting up new herbaceous terrace
Making up potting compost from own org. compost + a little sand and ash
Shredding old brushwood from long dead elderflower tree
etc.etc.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Log onto a competent garden website, join an e-list, or buy a
gardening magazine, and your wish will be granted.

In the time it takes to log on to a web site I can download around 300
articles from newsgroups!

e-lists often contaim a lot of unneccessary rubbish, a bit like newsgrpoups
really!(:-)
Except that one can chose what to download from newsgroups.

I have, in the past, been silly enough to subscribe to an e-list and I
closed the e-list after about a week, there was so much rubbish.

So how about a sensible answer?

There's no point wasting my time giving you advice if you won't put
yourself out enough to benefit from it.

Janet.

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Kate Morgan

Clearing out silted dyke - some very good looking compost coming out
Potting up self set teasle seedlings . [YES, teasles - we like them!]

I love teasles, they have helped to keep interest in borders this
winter :-)
kate
Old 22-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Alan Holmes

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
In message , Alan Holmes
writes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these

words:

I'd like to see a 'What to do this week/month' article.

Log onto a competent garden website, join an e-list, or buy a
gardening magazine, and your wish will be granted.

In the time it takes to log on to a web site I can download around 300
articles from newsgroups!

And how long will someone have to expend writing an article just so you
don't have to look for a web page?

But someone will have already done that!

And the article will be available to several (hundred) thousand people
immediately.

And with a much more personal aproach.

Alan

Old 25-03-2003, 12:22 AM
Alan Holmes

[...]

Perhaps I didn't make myself very clear, whenever I've tried to access
the web, looking for information, I've always found that it tells me that
the page I've just spent 3 minutes downloading is not the one which
has the information I'm trying to find.

It refers me to another page, which tell me that the information I'm
looking for is not on the page I've just spent 3 minutes downloading,
and refers me to another page.

This page tells me that the information I'm looking for is not on the page
I've just sepnt 3 minutes downloading and refers me to another page

This page tells me that the information I'm looking for is not on the page
I've just sepnt 3 minutes downloading and refers me to another page

This page tells me that the information I'm looking for is not on the page
I've just sepnt 3 minutes downloading and refers me to another page

This page tells me that the information I'm looking for is not on the page
I've just sepnt 3 minutes downloading and refers me to another page

Do I make myself clear?

But, as an expert perhaps you please tell me how I can get straight
away to the information I'm trying to find?

Or will you pay my phone bill for the time I spend trying to find
information which, in my experience, is not easy to find.

Alan

Old 25-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains a stuck
record which I have crushed beneath my gardening boots.

Please refer to my earlier post.

Janet.
Old 26-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Alan Holmes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains a stuck
record which I have crushed beneath my gardening boots.

Please refer to my earlier post.

Which was extremely unhelpful, and I've clearly put the reason I avoid the
web but you refuse to acknowledge that for some of us there may be a
slight problem.

I'd be happy to access the web if it was simple and cheap to access,
but I've never found it so.

But I do have an open mind, and if you have any sensible suggestion to
overcome the problems I experience trying to access the web then I'd be
pleased to both hear them and act upon them.

Alan

Old 27-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Bart Bailey

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 17:58:33 -0000, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

[...]

How do you know this to be true,
if you can't even find the one you're looking for?

meanwhile try putting your query in he
http://groups.google.com/

Bart
Old 18-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Alan Holmes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these

words:

I'd like to see a 'What to do this week/month' article.

Log onto a competent garden website, join an e-list, or buy a
gardening magazine, and your wish will be granted.

Why do that when I can join in a discussion group with a lot of friendly
people who are willing to help out someone who has a problem.

Although there are one or two who feel that the group is not for this sort
of discussion, and always tell you to go to the library, even if they do
know the answer to your question!

Alan