Old 19-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Does anyone feel like me?

I'd like to see a 'What to do this week/month' article.

Perhaps written by someone like Alan Gould.

Alan

Old 20-03-2003, 05:44 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Alan Holmes alan@holmes-
g4crw.freeserve.co.uk writes

I'd like to see a 'What to do this week/month' article.

Perhaps written by someone like Alan Gould.

You mean there's someone else around like that?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 21-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Kate Morgan

I'd like to see a 'What to do this week/month' article.

Log onto a competent garden website, join an e-list, or buy a
gardening magazine, and your wish will be granted.

Yes of course we can and do, it is possibly selfish to expect another
list of what to do etc. It just seems better when put together by
someone that we feel that we sort of know :-)
kate
Old 22-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Kate Morgan

I'd like to see a 'What to do this week/month' article.

Perhaps written by someone like Alan Gould.

Alan

Yes pleeeeese :-)
Old 22-03-2003, 11:28 AM
VivienB

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:47:07 -0000, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

I'd like to see a 'What to do this week/month' article.

Perhaps written by someone like Alan Gould.

Alan

The Daily Telegraph (www.telegraph.co.uk) has been sending out weekly
e-mails on this theme for a while now, to those who register (free).
It does mean you have to tolerate a limited number of 'sales' mails
from the Telegraph, too, but it is easy to recognise and delete those.

VivienB

Old 22-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Sharon Curtis

In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
"mandy thomas" writes:
| I'd also like to see something like this, but isn't one of the problems that
| even within the UK there is quite a wide variation in temperatures and
| seasonal changes, so it would be hard to give advice appropriate for all?

Actually, this is a FPM (Frequently Posted Myth). There is relatively
little variation within the UK, though there is enough that simple
advice like that has to be modified for location.

I don't think this is a myth at all. I was talking to my Dad (in Cornwall)
on March 16th, and apparently their daffodils have been out for a month
now. Ours haven't really got started up here (in Clackmannanshire).

So if you try giving advice about what to do about leftover daffs
after flowering, you're immediately getting a difference of several weeks.

Sharon
Old 22-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
(Sharon Curtis) writes:

| | I'd also like to see something like this, but isn't one of the problems that
| | even within the UK there is quite a wide variation in temperatures and
| | seasonal changes, so it would be hard to give advice appropriate for all?
|
| Actually, this is a FPM (Frequently Posted Myth). There is relatively
| little variation within the UK, though there is enough that simple
| advice like that has to be modified for location.
|
| I don't think this is a myth at all. I was talking to my Dad (in Cornwall)
| on March 16th, and apparently their daffodils have been out for a month
| now. Ours haven't really got started up here (in Clackmannanshire).
|
| So if you try giving advice about what to do about leftover daffs
| after flowering, you're immediately getting a difference of several weeks.

I didn't say that there is no difference, but that it is a myth that
there is quite a wide one. It is typically LESS than the variation
between years. Mine haven't really started, either, though ones in
less cold gardens have.

And remember that you are comparing close to the extremes of the UK
with Cornwall and Clackmannanshire. To be fair, you need to compare
close to extreme years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:

Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

I'd like to see a 'What to do this week/month' article.

Log onto a competent garden website, join an e-list, or buy a
gardening magazine, and your wish will be granted.

Janet

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Actually, this is a FPM (Frequently Posted Myth). There is relatively
little variation within the UK, though there is enough that simple
advice like that has to be modified for location.

What there is, is immense variation year to year, which is why the
magazines, television programs and so on are such tripe. If they
write their "What to do this month" more than a month in advance,
it will be wrong more often than not.

For example, this year is over a month later in gardening terms
than the two previous ones, at least away from the warm, wet west
and the deep south.

It's all very well giving good advice to others, but there's nothing
like setting an example, so it might be a better idea for contributors
to do a regular spot on what they had actually done in their gardens in
the previous week or so. Just a brief resume would do, i.e. planted
onion sets, cleaned greenhouse glass, pruned lavatera etc. etc., then
others could take up any points on which they wanted more information.
It would be topical, up to date and about practical gardening in action.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Gould wrote:

It's all very well giving good advice to others, but there's nothing
like setting an example, so it might be a better idea for contributors
to do a regular spot on what they had actually done in their gardens in
the previous week or so. Just a brief resume would do, i.e. planted
onion sets, cleaned greenhouse glass, pruned lavatera etc. etc., then
others could take up any points on which they wanted more information.
It would be topical, up to date and about practical gardening in action.

I agree with that. I have cleaned half my polytunnel, finished off
the autumn and spring pruning, and planted broad beans. If I had got
around to it, I would have sown some carrots etc., but it is still
a bit cold for much else in my chilly garden.

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Kate Morgan

I agree with that. I have cleaned half my polytunnel, finished off
the autumn and spring pruning, and planted broad beans. If I had got
around to it, I would have sown some carrots etc., but it is still
a bit cold for much else in my chilly garden.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,

well today I planted some roses and started to rake the lawn, got tired
of that game and decided to go and hire a machine to do it for me, oh, I
forgot I had a good bonfire.
Kate :-)
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Alan Holmes

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Alan Holmes alan@holmes-
g4crw.freeserve.co.uk writes

I'd like to see a 'What to do this week/month' article.

Perhaps written by someone like Alan Gould.

You mean there's someone else around like that?

No, I have a feeling you are unique!(:-)

Alan