GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Effects of magnetic water on plants? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/110626-effects-magnetic-water-plants.html)

Aled Evans 16-01-2006 12:55 PM

Effects of magnetic water on plants?

As a supplier of magnetic products ,I have heard from many customers about
the benefits of giving water which has been left in a container on a
magnetic coaster to various plants.

The more normal use is for consumption by humans which brings various health
benefits.

What I would like to know is whether anyone knows of any trials or tests
that have been carried out on this subject?

Thank you,

Aled Evans
www.healthmagnet.ik.com
www.letsescape.co.uk

Martin Brown 16-01-2006 02:00 PM

Aled Evans wrote:

As a supplier of magnetic products ,I have heard from many customers about
the benefits of giving water which has been left in a container on a
magnetic coaster to various plants.

The more normal use is for consumption by humans which brings various health
benefits.

Most notably due to a lightening of the wallet.
Take your snake oil spam elsewhere.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Bob Hobden 16-01-2006 02:21 PM

"Martin Brown" wrote after Aled Evans wrote:

As a supplier of magnetic products ,I have heard from many customers
about the benefits of giving water which has been left in a container on
a magnetic coaster to various plants.

The more normal use is for consumption by humans which brings various
health benefits.

Most notably due to a lightening of the wallet.
Take your snake oil spam elsewhere.

Hold on a moment Martin, I have been wondering for a while if this proven
item...
http://www.waterimp.co.uk/ and similar
would have any effect, good or bad, on plants.

Probably not as it's approved for use in the UK on drinking water.

But how about using the water on acid loving plants? Would it provide more
suitable water for those plants than straight hard tap water?
Anyone use one?
--
Regards
Bob

John McMillan 16-01-2006 02:49 PM

Effects of magnetic water on plants?

In article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote after Aled Evans wrote:

Take your snake oil spam elsewhere.

Please do.

Hold on a moment Martin, I have been wondering for a while if this proven
item...
http://www.waterimp.co.uk/ and similar
would have any effect, good or bad, on plants.

Well, it might be a "proven item", but I'm extremely sceptical
as to whether the "waterimp" or any other magnetic device can have the
slightest effect on water hardness or calcium carbonate deposition rate.
Please show me some unequivocal evidence, optionally followed up
with a tenable theory to explain why it does.

Probably not as it's approved for use in the UK on drinking water.

eh?

But how about using the water on acid loving plants? Would it provide more
suitable water for those plants than straight hard tap water?

Well artificially softened water would probably be better for such plants
than straight hard tap water. Assuming, that is, that you're actually
in a hard water area. Messing about with magnets is unlikely to be
a very rewarding experience.

Anyone use one?

I bet they do, too...

Mike Lyle 16-01-2006 02:51 PM

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Sounds a bit snake-oily to me, but they do quote (though without
reference to the full report) a report from somebody at the U of
Bath. In their quotation from that report the tester said "The Super
Imp device has been shown not to effect the pH of water passing
through piping where it has been installed", so it doesn't actually
soften the water.

--
Mike.

Des Higgins 16-01-2006 03:11 PM

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

And they should know about plumbing in Bath.

Des

--
Mike.

[email protected] 16-01-2006 03:17 PM

Mike Lyle wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote after Aled Evans wrote:

Hold on a moment Martin, I have been wondering for a while if this
proven item...
http://www.waterimp.co.uk/ and similar
would have any effect, good or bad, on plants.

Probably not as it's approved for use in the UK on drinking water.

But how about using the water on acid loving plants? Would it

provide
more suitable water for those plants than straight hard tap water?
Anyone use one?

Sounds a bit snake-oily to me, but they do quote (though without
reference to the full report) a report from somebody at the U of
Bath. In their quotation from that report the tester said "The Super
Imp device has been shown not to effect the pH of water passing
through piping where it has been installed", so it doesn't actually
soften the water.

Huh? What has pH got to do with hardness?

As far as I can remember from endless discussions of these devices on
uk.d-i-y they *may* have some effect on the amount of deposition of
limescale on pipes etc. However (if I remember correctly) this effect
is only useful/measureable in recirculating systems. Their effect on
domestic water systems is not worth bothering about and, as I
understand it, they'll have no effect at all on the plants the water
is used on.

--
Chris Green

John McMillan 16-01-2006 03:54 PM

In article , wrote:

Sounds a bit snake-oily to me, but they do quote (though without
reference to the full report) a report from somebody at the U of
Bath. In their quotation from that report the tester said "The Super
Imp device has been shown not to effect the pH of water passing
through piping where it has been installed", so it doesn't actually
soften the water.

They do indeed mention a report from the University of Bath,
Chemical Engineering Department. No specific name is mentioned,
nor can you see the complete report. It doesn't surprise me that
the device doesn't affect the pH of the water.

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/gallery.html
http://www.chem1.com/CQ/magscams.html
http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/sims/water/magnets/

Mike Lyle 16-01-2006 04:24 PM

Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Nicely observed! I hadn't spotted that. I don't suppose they've got a
University of Looe yet, but it's only a matter of time.

--
Mike.

Mike Lyle 16-01-2006 04:33 PM

Effects of magnetic water on plants?

wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:

[...]
But how about using the water on acid loving plants? Would it
provide more suitable water for those plants than straight hard

tap
water? Anyone use one?

Sounds a bit snake-oily to me, but they do quote (though without
reference to the full report) a report from somebody at the U of
Bath. In their quotation from that report the tester said "The

Super
Imp device has been shown not to effect the pH of water passing
through piping where it has been installed", so it doesn't

actually
soften the water.

Huh? What has pH got to do with hardness?

It's near enough for me!

[...]
and, as I
understand it, they'll have no effect at all on the plants the

water
is used on.

Agreed.

--
Mike.

Rusty Hinge 2 16-01-2006 05:25 PM

Effects of magnetic water on plants?

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

And they should know about plumbing in Bath.

Nicely observed! I hadn't spotted that. I don't suppose they've got a
University of Looe yet, but it's only a matter of time.

The manufacturers of such decices might not be flushed with success as a
result, though.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.

Alan Holmes 16-01-2006 11:27 PM

"Aled Evans" wrote in message
As a supplier of magnetic products ,I have heard from many customers about
the benefits of giving water which has been left in a container on a
magnetic coaster to various plants.

The more normal use is for consumption by humans which brings various
health benefits.

What I would like to know is whether anyone knows of any trials or tests
that have been carried out on this subject?

I didn't know you could magnetise water!

You learn something new every day!

But it just a load of rubbish, and if anyone is stupid enugh to actually buy
these things you are even more of an idiot that you think!

Even the crap about health benifits to humans!

Alan

Thank you,

Aled Evans
www.healthmagnet.ik.com
www.letsescape.co.uk

Nick Maclaren 17-01-2006 09:24 AM

Effects of magnetic water on plants?

In article ,
Alan Holmes wrote:

I didn't know you could magnetise water!

You can magnetise pretty well anything at 10 tesla.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

John McMillan 17-01-2006 10:46 AM

Effects of magnetic water on plants?

In article , (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Alan Holmes wrote:

I didn't know you could magnetise water!

You can magnetise pretty well anything at 10 tesla.

And the WaterImp attains 10 tesla, does it? How much
was it, I'll take two, please.

Nick Maclaren 17-01-2006 11:13 AM

Effects of magnetic water on plants?

In article ,
John McMillan wrote:
In article , (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Alan Holmes wrote:

I didn't know you could magnetise water!

You can magnetise pretty well anything at 10 tesla.

And the WaterImp attains 10 tesla, does it? How much
was it, I'll take two, please.

Not as far as I know :-)

It would be interesting to see how long someone could sell a 10 tesla
device for domestic use before there were regulations banning them!
But I doubt that will be a problem in my lifetime ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.