Old 18-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Registered User

Default Clematis trellis design - how big can the gaps be?

We are making a simple rectangular metal frame trellis with wires across it for a clematis to provide a screen from our neighbours in the summer. It will sit on top of an existing 1m high fence and will be 1m long and 80 cm high. We want it to be as unobtrusive as possible to minimise its light blocking to a basement window when the clematis dies back in winter so we want to have the wires as far apart as possible. Questions:

How far apart can they be to still have the Clematis grow up the structure?

Is it possible to just have horizontal wires?

The wire we intend using is 10mm (o.4 inches) thick - is this too thick for the tendrils to grab onto?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Old 18-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie
We are making a simple rectangular metal frame trellis with wires across it for a clematis to provide a screen from our neighbours in the summer. It will sit on top of an existing 1m high fence and will be 1m long and 80 cm high. We want it to be as unobtrusive as possible to minimise its light blocking to a basement window when the clematis dies back in winter so we want to have the wires as far apart as possible. Questions:

How far apart can they be to still have the Clematis grow up the structure?

Is it possible to just have horizontal wires?

The wire we intend using is 10mm (o.4 inches) thick - is this too thick for the tendrils to grab onto?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
I grew a clematis om bean sticks, like a wigwam,it rolled over when it got to the top of the sticks,and the flowers looked realy good . nothing very conventional about this I guess,but necessity is the mother of some very strange ideas sometimes! The reason for this was I did not know the plant was there,and it took off while I was busy doing other things.(had just moved in) I also have one on a widely spaced trellis fence,seems to cling on and cope well!
Regards Grumpy
Old 19-01-2006, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

--
frankie

You do need the wire in both directions, anything smaller than finger size
is ok, and the squares should ideally be 6" or less. (I occasionally use
stock fencing but prefer the large gauge chicken wire)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 19-01-2006, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
frankie wrote:

We are making a simple rectangular metal frame trellis with wires across
it for a clematis to provide a screen from our neighbours in the summer.
It will sit on top of an existing 1m high fence and will be 1m long and
80 cm high. We want it to be as unobtrusive as possible to minimise its
light blocking to a basement window when the clematis dies back in
winter so we want to have the wires as far apart as possible.
Questions:

How far apart can they be to still have the Clematis grow up the
structure?

A couple of metres. I would recommend using 20-30 cm squares; 10-15
is better for a screen, but you want light in winter.

Is it possible to just have horizontal wires?

Yes, but it is geneally a bad idea. A good one is diamonds (i.e.
squares aligned diagonally), because that catches the eye less.

The wire we intend using is 10mm (o.4 inches) thick - is this too thick
for the tendrils to grab onto?

No, but that is rod, not wire! Surely 5 mm would be heavy enough, unless
you are trying to fortify the area.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-01-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:
How far apart can they be to still have the Clematis grow up the
structure?

A couple of metres. I would recommend using 20-30 cm squares; 10-15
is better for a screen, but you want light in winter.

Really?! A couple of metres?! Surely the clematis cannot reach from one
point to 2m away with nothing in between to climb on?

The wire we intend using is 10mm (o.4 inches) thick - is this too thick
for the tendrils to grab onto?

No, but that is rod, not wire! Surely 5 mm would be heavy enough, unless
you are trying to fortify the area.

) This conjured up an amazing trellis, with copper pipes for some
reason!

But perhaps he could put some wires in between the rods? You've
completely destroy his design !!

Old 19-01-2006, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
"La Puce" writes:
| Nick Maclaren wrote:
| How far apart can they be to still have the Clematis grow up the
| structure?
| A couple of metres. I would recommend using 20-30 cm squares; 10-15
| is better for a screen, but you want light in winter.
|
| Really?! A couple of metres?! Surely the clematis cannot reach from one
| point to 2m away with nothing in between to climb on?

No, but they go up the verticals and then along the horizontals.
C. armandii would be able to handle that, for example, though
some other clematis would not.

| But perhaps he could put some wires in between the rods? You've
| completely destroy his design !!

Yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-01-2006, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:
No, but they go up the verticals and then along the horizontals.
C. armandii would be able to handle that, for example, though
some other clematis would not.

Sure ... forgot the verticals.

| But perhaps he could put some wires in between the rods? You've
| completely destroy his design !!

Yes.

Ok. Best be robbust really. Hardy, would be a better word )

Old 24-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Registered User

Thanks to all for the advice: very helpful and very kind. I think I will take Nick and Charlie's advice and go for diagonal boxes spaced about 20 cm apart with wire much thinner at around 3-5mm. I'll let you all know how it goes...

Thanks again to all

Frankie