Old 19-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Registered User

Default Greenhouse Draught

I have a gas heater in my greenhouse which is 8 feet by 6 feet with high eaves. However, I do get a draught which is coming from the door. My greenhouse is pretty new and I do not feel like buying a new one. Can anybody advise as to what I can do to stop the draught, I have tried to adjust the door but it is not very easy.
Old 19-01-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , the swede
writes

I have a gas heater in my greenhouse which is 8 feet by 6 feet with high
eaves. However, I do get a draught which is coming from the door. My
greenhouse is pretty new and I do not feel like buying a new one. Can
anybody advise as to what I can do to stop the draught, I have tried to
adjust the door but it is not very easy.

You need a draught, or rather you need a supply of air and someway of
getting rid of the combustion products
--
Chris French

Old 19-01-2006, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Cairns

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:32:19 +0000, chris French
wrote:

In message , the swede
writes

I have a gas heater in my greenhouse which is 8 feet by 6 feet with high
eaves. However, I do get a draught which is coming from the door. My
greenhouse is pretty new and I do not feel like buying a new one. Can
anybody advise as to what I can do to stop the draught, I have tried to
adjust the door but it is not very easy.

You need a draught, or rather you need a supply of air and someway of
getting rid of the combustion products

Find out where the draft is going then its path this should cut down
the strength of the draft, what ever you do DO NOT stop it all or you
will have a great build up of carbon monoxide.
Neil
Old 19-01-2006, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"the swede" wrote ...

I have a gas heater in my greenhouse which is 8 feet by 6 feet with high
eaves. However, I do get a draught which is coming from the door. My
greenhouse is pretty new and I do not feel like buying a new one. Can
anybody advise as to what I can do to stop the draught, I have tried to
adjust the door but it is not very easy.

During a recent service visit a Gas Engineer told me that because our Gas
warm air boiler is not connected directly to the outside air CORGI demand it
should have unrestricted air from outside through a 14 inch square hole, or
holes adding up to that, in the outside wall of the room it's in.
Now that's a big draft.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 20-01-2006, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , the swede
writes

Neil Cairns Wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:32:19 +0000, chris French
wrote:

In message
, the swede
writes

I have a gas heater in my greenhouse which is 8 feet by 6 feet with
high

eaves. However, I do get a draught which is coming from the door. My
greenhouse is pretty new and I do not feel like buying a new one. Can
anybody advise as to what I can do to stop the draught, I have tried

adjust the door but it is not very easy.

You need a draught, or rather you need a supply of air and someway of
getting rid of the combustion products
Find out where the draft is going then its path this should cut down
the strength of the draft, what ever you do DO NOT stop it all or you
will have a great build up of carbon monoxide.
Neil

Thanks for the help, did not think about the danger, I do have
ventilation It is just the draught from the door that seems to be a
nuisance. I am a novice at all this so sorry for being thick.

Well if you do have other ventilation arrangements that are sufficient
to supply the heaters O2 requirements then there is no reason not to try
stopping the draught I just can't quite seen the reason to bother,
unless it's just for your comfort.

Have you insulated the GH (if not then you really should) I had covered
the door in my old GH with a cover of the bubblewrap insulation, this
would ahve effectively shut out any draughts.

--
Chris French

Old 20-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Registered User

Location: Bridport, Dorset

Hi the swede,

I would suggest that you fix a curtain track on the inside of your greenhouse, behind the door. (I assume your door opens outwards). An old curtain could be fixed to this, and drawn to one side every time you enter. The draught would then be dispersed by the curtain. Anything is worth a try ???

Regards

Drew
__________________
Loch Sloy
This I'll Defend
Old 20-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Hi the swede,

I would suggest that you fix a curtain track on the inside of your greenhouse, behind the door. (I assume your door opens outwards). An old curtain could be fixed to this, and drawn to one side every time you enter. The draught would then be dispersed by the curtain. Anything is worth a try ???

Regards

Drew
Thanks for all the advise, have managed to solve the problem, using a piece of wood and the greenhouse is still well ventilated. Now, I have bubble wrapped my greenhouse but have not done the roof, should I have done this, I had it done last year but took it off to let light in in the summer
Old 21-01-2006, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay Easton

In message , the swede
writes
Thanks for all the advise, have managed to solve the problem, using a
piece of wood and the greenhouse is still well ventilated. Now, I have
bubble wrapped my greenhouse but have not done the roof, should I have
done this, I had it done last year but took it off to let light in in
the summer

Most definitely. You'll lose more heat through the roof than you would
through the sides. See if you can find some trouble free way of
suspending it. I have canes running the length of the roof and just
drape the bubble wrap over these, so it takes about 30 mins to put up
for winter and about 15 mins to remove.

--
Kay Easton

Getting rid of the grass and putting in draught resistant plants [email protected] Gardening 14 10-06-2007 12:35 AM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Cleaning greenhouse Dave Orchids 8 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM
Ant-hostile greenhouse Vespaman Orchids 0 28-01-2003 04:26 PM