Old 20-01-2006, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fourmations

Default pruning cordyline types

hi all

i have a huge green cordyline type plant
thats "leaves" are about 8' now and have a big spread

can i trim the leaves? at an angle?

I believe you can only remove the leaves
thus leaving the base baldy?

this plants leaves seem to come from underground
whereas my genuine cordys have a short trunk

any advice

regds

niall

Old 20-01-2006, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cereus-validus-...........

If the leaves are coming only from the base, its not a Cordyline.

Strelitzia reginae maybe?

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...ae&btnG=Search

Old 20-01-2006, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

fourmations wrote:
hi all

i have a huge green cordyline type plant
thats "leaves" are about 8' now and have a big spread

can i trim the leaves? at an angle?

I believe you can only remove the leaves
thus leaving the base baldy?

this plants leaves seem to come from underground
whereas my genuine cordys have a short trunk

any advice

regds

niall

Sounds more like a Phormium
(http://www.tropengarten.de/Bilder/B-Phormium-tenax.jpg) than a cordyline
(http://www.penninckx.com/penninckx_f...stralis_gd.jpg)

Don't cut the leaves or you will be left with nasty cut edges - remove from
the base around the crown.

pk

Old 20-01-2006, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Dave Poole contains these words:

The coloured Phormiums can lose
their colour if not kept well fertilised, so an annual mulch of well
rotted manure in spring will keep them bright and showy.

Thanks for that tip

Janet
Old 23-01-2006, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fourmations

Thanks all

its a phormium all right

I get the idea of dividing it to reduce spread
but it wont solve the height,

Could I strip all the blades off it down to the root ball
and would it grow again?

regards

--
niall smyth
academy signs

p: (+353 1) 493 5188
f: (=353 1) 493 7337
e:

Old 23-01-2006, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 23/1/06 10:18, in article ,
"fourmations" wrote:

Thanks all

its a phormium all right

I get the idea of dividing it to reduce spread
but it wont solve the height,

Could I strip all the blades off it down to the root ball
and would it grow again?

If you don't want the plant at that height you have only the alternative of
taking it right out. That's the height yours grows to. If you cut the
leaves back you'll end up with tatty leaves that are going brown where they
have been cut.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-01-2006, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

fourmations wrote:
Thanks all

its a phormium all right

I get the idea of dividing it to reduce spread
but it wont solve the height,

Could I strip all the blades off it down to the root ball
and would it grow again?

regards

Sadly no!

You have two choices:

Get used to it & learn to love it!

or

Get rid!

pk

Cordyline Pruning. john United Kingdom 2 05-06-2005 04:11 PM
New user question- turf types for Adelaide Jeremy Cullinan Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Gas Edgers: experiences w/stick and walk-behind types johannmon Gardening 3 31-03-2003 12:56 AM
Question about types of mulch spampot Gardening 6 29-03-2003 06:56 AM
Types of Roses Suzanne in CA Roses 1 29-01-2003 12:29 AM