Old 18-01-2006, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lettuce Pray

Default Flowers amongst my veggies

This year I would like to grow some flowers amongst my veggies with two
aims in mind. I want the garden to have more colour and I would like to
attract insects that will prey on my garden pests ( at least a little).
I know nothing about what I should grow, but I will give you details of
where I am and what type of veggies I intend to grow.
I am in SE Scotland in a walled garden that has a good depth of free
draining soil. I will be growing potatoes, lettuce, cabbage, carrots,
spring onions, beans, peas, spinach, rasps, strawbs, plums, apples.
Also tomatoes and chillies in the greenhouse, along with basil.
Any suggestions as to what flowers I should grow, where in the garden,
when sown etc would be very happily received. The easier to grow and
the less attention they need the better:-)
Thanks
Jonny

Old 18-01-2006, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Lettuce Pray wrote:

This year I would like to grow some flowers amongst my veggies with two
aims in mind. I want the garden to have more colour and I would like to
attract insects that will prey on my garden pests ( at least a little).

More effective to grow complementary plants that disguise the smell of
your food plants from sap suckers and pests. Certain smelly marigold
species work fairly well. Chrysanthemums are another possibility.

I know nothing about what I should grow, but I will give you details of
where I am and what type of veggies I intend to grow.
I am in SE Scotland in a walled garden that has a good depth of free
draining soil. I will be growing potatoes, lettuce, cabbage, carrots,
spring onions, beans, peas, spinach, rasps, strawbs, plums, apples.
Also tomatoes and chillies in the greenhouse, along with basil.

In a greenhouse yellow cards coated in cycle grease are not bad.

Any suggestions as to what flowers I should grow, where in the garden,
when sown etc would be very happily received. The easier to grow and
the less attention they need the better:-)

Be careful what you wish for - if they are too easy to grow they are as
bad as if not worse than the weeds. eg Himalayan balsam.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 19-01-2006, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Lettuce Pray wrote:

This year I would like to grow some flowers amongst my veggies

(snip)

Hiya Jonny.
I know you've posted twice - I thought you were trolling ... sorry )

Here is a site which is a good start.
http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/factsheets/gg44.php

Also:-
Basil improves the flavour of many garden vegetables, specifically
tomatoes
and lettuce, and repels flies and mosquitoes

Borage near strawberries and tomatoes attracts bees, which help to
improve crop yield by pollinating plants

Comfrey Tap roots bring minerals to the surface of the soil.

Dill and fennel attract hoverflies, which then eat aphids. Dill grows
well
next to lettuce and cucumbers

Garlic and chives keep away aphids and black spot and planted round
fruit trees/ bushes discourage insects from climbing the trunk. Garlic
also improves the growth and health of raspberry bushes and can enhance
the production of oils in herbs Chives enhance the flavour and growth
of tomatoes, carrots, apples, berries and grapes.

Marjoram and oregano are helpful to all vegetables

Rosemary benefits beans and carrots.

Sage amongst the brassica family, particularly cabbages repels cabbage
white butterfly. Sage also benefits carrots, peas, beans but does not
like cucumbers. Sage provides cover for frogs and toads that eat snails
and slugs.

Summer savoury deters black fly.

Tagetes (like Martin mentioned) (African & French marigolds) Excellent
on your plot. Deters aphids and whitefly through scent and by
attracting hoverflies. Mexican marigolds (Tagetes Minuta), stops ground
elder All marigold roots secrete chemicals, which help stop bindweed.
The roots also stop eelworm from recognising their host plants, which
include potatoes.

Valerian amongst your veg stimulates earthworms, which helps to boost
plant growth.

Wormwood, hyssop and rue on your plot borders act as insect deterrents.

Also you should check out how to make organic fertilisers, beside OM,
out of plants. And there's many vegs that do not like each others.
Like, garlic is bad with cabbages, peas and beans. Carrots don't like
to be next to beetroot. Strawberries don't like to be next to cabbages.
Beans don't like to be next to garlic, oignons, shallots. Salades don't
like to be next to celery and parsley and tomatoes don't like to be
next to cucumbers, gurkins, potatoes, peas and beans. Phew ... Good
luck!

Old 19-01-2006, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 18/1/06 23:08, in article
, "La Puce"
wrote:

Lettuce Pray wrote:

This year I would like to grow some flowers amongst my veggies

(snip)

Hiya Jonny.
I know you've posted twice - I thought you were trolling ... sorry )

Here is a site which is a good start.
http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/factsheets/gg44.php

Also:-
Basil improves the flavour of many garden vegetables, specifically
tomatoes
and lettuce, and repels flies and mosquitoes

Borage near strawberries and tomatoes attracts bees, which help to
improve crop yield by pollinating plants

That comes from: http://www.thecei.org.uk/Beanstalk/companion_plants.htm

Comfrey Tap roots bring minerals to the surface of the soil.

And: http://www.thecei.org.uk/Beanstalk/companion_plants.htm

Dill and fennel attract hoverflies, which then eat aphids. Dill grows
well
next to lettuce and cucumbers

Goodness gracious me. Imagine, so does this:
http://www.thecei.org.uk/Beanstalk/companion_plants.htm

Garlic and chives keep away aphids and black spot and planted round
fruit trees/ bushes discourage insects from climbing the trunk. Garlic
also improves the growth and health of raspberry bushes and can enhance
the production of oils in herbs Chives enhance the flavour and growth
of tomatoes, carrots, apples, berries and grapes.

And whoop de doo here it is again:
http://www.thecei.org.uk/Beanstalk/companion_plants.htm
snip

So, you fraud, would you like to tell us how all this worked for you when
you tried it out? I have found the web site from which you have filched
this material but to which you make no attribution. Why do you do that?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-01-2006, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:

That comes from: http://www.thecei.org.uk/Beanstalk/companion_plants.htm

These are from my teacher's handouts from college (digging a pit on
saturday and it's going to pour apparently). Do you have something to
add to organic fertiliser, or are you going to once again mock me about
my garlic (balanced on a monitor - very funny indeed), rhubbarb mix and
bordeaux brew etc? Because if you don't beleive in companion planting
and insect attractant plants, just take a tour around any lotties and
just ask. But I forgot ... you don't grow vegs but sell potted plants
in a garden centre and serves teacakes. Silly me! put tongue out

Old 19-01-2006, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 18/1/06 23:08, in article
, "La Puce"
wrote:

Lettuce Pray wrote:

[...]

Totally unfair criticism. The words "Tagetes (like Martin mentioned)" is
nearly totally her own work probably---perhaps--maybe :-)

Old 19-01-2006, 01:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert wrote:

Totally unfair criticism. The words "Tagetes (like Martin mentioned)" is
nearly totally her own work probably---perhaps--maybe :-)

LOL! What about the rest and my companion planting! Honestly. Poor
Lettuce Pray. I thought he was a troll at first. What is this Sacha
like?! Just read her questions: "I can't remember the colour of the
blue flower I saw when I met the Prime Minister of Trululupa with Ray
and John and Mike and Paul". "Ho thank you, off course it's blue, I had
forgotten!"

My Dog! Why can't she just go on a cruise with the other loon!!

Old 19-01-2006, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert wrote:

Totally unfair criticism. The words "Tagetes (like Martin mentioned)"
is
nearly totally her own work probably---perhaps--maybe :-)

LOL! What about the rest and my companion planting! Honestly. Poor
Lettuce Pray. I thought he was a troll at first. What is this Sacha
like?! Just read her questions: "I can't remember the colour of the
blue flower I saw when I met the Prime Minister of Trululupa with Ray
and John and Mike and Paul". "Ho thank you, off course it's blue, I had
forgotten!"

My Dog! Why can't she just go on a cruise with the other loon!!

"The other loon"--Mike is already on a cruise (supposedley)

Old 19-01-2006, 01:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:

That comes from: http://www.thecei.org.uk/Beanstalk/companion_plants.htm

These are from my teacher's handouts from college (digging a pit)

-Snip-

You should not spread myths even if they come from your teachers.
"Comfrey Tap roots bring minerals to the surface of the soil"

Do they mean the roots dig deep and extract minerals which are then
available in the leaves?

Old 19-01-2006, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert wrote:
You should not spread myths even if they come from your teachers.

And you should watch out Don because my patience with you will
eventually have it's limit and I just might turn around and bite your
lil' ass.

Now if you have something to say about Sacha I suggest you say it to
her once and for all and not email me about it. I have had more than
enough of this hypocrisy.

Second, if you think what I say are myth, I suggest you take on a
course and learn instead of wandering around usenet pretending to know
just about everything.

And third, just stop following me about after her. It now starts to
look a bit strange.

Warning: don't do usenet and drink )

Old 19-01-2006, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert wrote:
You should not spread myths even if they come from your teachers.

And you should watch out Don because my patience with you will
eventually have it's limit and I just might turn around and bite your
lil' ass.

Now if you have something to say about Sacha I suggest you say it to
her once and for all and not email me about it. I have had more than
enough of this hypocrisy.

Second, if you think what I say are myth, I suggest you take on a
course and learn instead of wandering around usenet pretending to know
just about everything.

And third, just stop following me about after her. It now starts to
look a bit strange.

Warning: don't do usenet and drink )

Mission accomplished

Old 19-01-2006, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

So, you fraud, would you like to tell us how all this worked for you when
you tried it out? I have found the web site from which you have filched
this material but to which you make no attribution. Why do you do that?

Force of habit..like pretending (too late) that the exact same
material came from her employer/work colleagues/ tutor. Or pretending to
be a cute little inexperienced girl, (aged well over 40, grey and tired,
with kids aged 8 to 15).

Janet
Old 19-01-2006, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Force of habit..like pretending (too late) that the exact same
material came from her employer

I don't have an employer and am the employer.

/work colleagues

In that context it was for our Morecambe competition, which we didn't
get btw. Urban splash decided on someone else with less environmental
understanding and concerns, sadly.

/ tutor.

Yes, my tutor Kath from the RHS course I am currently doing in
Northenden Manchester City College. Her handouts are so numerous I need
a filing cabinet for them.

Or pretending to
be a cute little inexperienced girl,

That's your fantasie but perhaps your jalousy too. I certainly like you
don't wear long johns on top of my trousers. How's your tache growing?

(aged well over 40,

41.

grey

No, brunette long hair and entirely naturelle ) Perhaps you are
refering to the student's questionaire. I said 'grey' as my skin being
grey. At least that's what my family says. Usually I'm quite dark but
years in the UK has turned me greyish skin looking (

and tired,

Yes. Ho yes. Too much to do, too little time.

with kids aged 8 to 15).

No. A boy of 11 in 2 months (we will be in Cannes for it) and a boy of
16 in May (we will be in Bordeaux for it).

But Janet let me be now, honesty leave me alone or you are going to
regret it.

Old 19-01-2006, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 18/1/06 23:33, in article
, "La Puce"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

That comes from:
http://www.thecei.org.uk/Beanstalk/companion_plants.htm

These are from my teacher's handouts from college (digging a pit on
saturday and it's going to pour apparently). Do you have something to
add to organic fertiliser, or are you going to once again mock me about
my garlic (balanced on a monitor - very funny indeed), rhubbarb mix and
bordeaux brew etc? Because if you don't beleive in companion planting
and insect attractant plants, just take a tour around any lotties and
just ask. But I forgot ... you don't grow vegs but sell potted plants
in a garden centre and serves teacakes. Silly me! put tongue out

If you're going to take material directly from someone else's work it's
considered polite to put quotes round it and make it clear what you're
doing. Which is probably why you never do so.
As to your belief in companion planting etc., it is I who recommended 'Roses
Love Garlic' to a poster here as a book they would find useful, so yet again
you are both wrong and unobservant.
As you have not visited our nursery and would be rather bemused by what you
find here - there seem to be so *many* plants you've never heard of - I'm
afraid your opinion of my activities is as ignorant as the rest of your
persona. One thing I can guarantee though, you will never be as successful
in horticulture as my husband is and your jealousy is showing.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-01-2006, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:
If you're going to take material directly from someone else's work it's
considered polite to put quotes round it and make it clear what you're
doing. Which is probably why you never do so.

Do you know what time it was when I wrote last night?! Do you know that
I have a life, a lot of homework, a demanding full time job, kids, pets
etc. I am passionate about it all, but for the love of god JUST LEAVE
ME ALONE the PAIR OF YOU! Is it because I'm French I'm getting this?
Tell me, have you got a problem with foreeneers?

And no SACHA, YOU HAVEN''T INVENTED GARLIC! And I don't give a fig
about your husband! Why should I do?! What on earth are you on? Just go
away. Yes?

they are working by means of orange, amongst formal, at last coastal chancellors Courtney Ponds 0 14-11-2007 06:23 AM
Roots follow the lines of magnetism. (As well as towards moisture.[for the pedantic amongst you] ) David in Normandy United Kingdom 1 03-10-2006 06:32 PM
A plea to the Hymenopterists amongst you... BAC United Kingdom 9 20-05-2005 01:26 PM
fungus amongst us longshot Gardening 13 09-04-2005 02:32 AM
fungus amongst us Leon Trollski Roses 5 09-04-2005 02:32 AM