Old 25-01-2006, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

Default Copper Rings to Deter Slugs and Snails

I still cannot see why you cannot strip lengths of unwanted flex and coil
the copper wire around the plants. Is this not feasible?

I've done that on a few of my pots but I did find a slug on one plant?
Unless it jumped on!!
--

Regards
p.mc

Old 25-01-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

--
X-No-Archive
"p.mc" wrote in message

I still cannot see why you cannot strip lengths of unwanted flex and

coil
the copper wire around the plants. Is this not feasible?

I've done that on a few of my pots but I did find a slug on one plant?
Unless it jumped on!!

or was under the soil before you surrounded it by the wire, or an egg
perhaps?

Old 25-01-2006, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Duncan

"PammyT" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message .com,
Garden Oasis wrote

A far easier, cheaper and more permanent solution would be to bury your
old butter cartons, yogurt pots, jam jars etc next to your affected
plants so that the tops are level with the soil and add a little beer.

Have you seen the price of beer these days?

yes, very cheap in ALDI and LIDL

yes but.... no self-respecting gastropod will drink the stuff! Or at least
not the supermarket own-brand lager I once tried this with. I find a nice
full-flavoured ale which you can smell from the bottom of the garden works
better, and the slugs only get a little bit!

I knew someone who worked in a social club, who collected the contents of
the drip-trays on the bar (mainly M&B Mild!) for slug-traps.

Duncan

Old 26-01-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Big Nick

"M" wrote in message
Last year the snails did their worst and I want to protect my garden this
year. I have heard that copper repels snails so placing copper rings
around plants should deter then. The cheapest I can find them is
http://www.ferndale-lodge.co.uk/Prod...product=572855
6 small for £13.25. At that price they are not an option. Is there
anywhere you can buy copper strip and make your own? I am aware that
copper is expensive but I hadn't expected it cost this much!

I have seen copper foil tape that is self adhesive that would work great
with raised beds. I think 3M make it but im not sure of the cost