GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How do I train a Bay tree ?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/110894-how-do-i-train-bay-tree.html)

bigsteve 25-01-2006 08:49 AM

How do I train a Bay tree ??

How do I train a Bay tree to give me a 3 balled standard, that is
approx 1m tall.

How long would I have to wait ??

Nick Maclaren 25-01-2006 09:07 AM

How do I train a Bay tree ??

In article ,
bigsteve wrote:
How do I train a Bay tree to give me a 3 balled standard, that is
approx 1m tall.

Let it grow upwards to the desired height, trimming lower side branches
as it goes. Then cut out the growing shoot(s) a bit lower down, let
it bush out and clip as for a formal hedge. Secateurs and removing
whole leaves is neater than using shears.

How long would I have to wait ??

Starting from when? Bay takes a little time to get going, but then
can grow quite fast. 5-10 years, depending. Starting from a plant
roughly the right height with growth near the top, even less.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

bigsteve 25-01-2006 12:19 PM

How do I train a Bay tree ??

Yes but how do you get the 3 balls.

Do you cut the leader at say 30cm, and let it shoot out - to start the
first ball. Then pick a good vertical shoot to start the main stem
again, and do the same at 30cm, etc to make the 2nd ball and again at
30cm and then cut all leaders to make the 3rd ball.

Or do you keep the main stem going to 1m, cut the tip and hopefully
pick 6 good side shoots (2 a side) to start the balls.