Old 30-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Registered User

Default why shouldn't you prune if frost forecast?

just mulling over the scientific reasons why you shouldn't prune hardy shrubs when frost is forecast...

have been 'brought up' to avoid pruning in very cold weather and this does instinctively feel right, but anyone have any clues as to why?

I would guess that the cells on the exposed cuts could be damaged by low temperatures, therefore encouraging nasty wounds etc etc - but been a while since I did all that at college, anyone remember the reasons?

Old 31-01-2006, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:20:24 +0000, linette
wrote:

just mulling over the scientific reasons why you shouldn't prune hardy
shrubs when frost is forecast...

have been 'brought up' to avoid pruning in very cold weather and this
does instinctively feel right, but anyone have any clues as to why?

I would guess that the cells on the exposed cuts could be damaged by
low temperatures, therefore encouraging nasty wounds etc etc - but been
a while since I did all that at college, anyone remember the reasons?

Instinctively I would have thought that pruning in very cold weather
would be a good idea as the plant would be dormant, but that pruning
in frost would be a bad idea as the cut area could be damaged by frost
and the plant would not have an opportunity to heal the wound.

So which is right?

Old 31-01-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

I do all my pruning while the plant's dormant, fruit trees, roses, grapes,
etc. That is the way I was taught and I continue to do it as close as I can
to the first of February, weather permitting.

Dwayne

"linette" wrote in message

just mulling over the scientific reasons why you shouldn't prune hardy
shrubs when frost is forecast...

have been 'brought up' to avoid pruning in very cold weather and this
does instinctively feel right, but anyone have any clues as to why?

I would guess that the cells on the exposed cuts could be damaged by
low temperatures, therefore encouraging nasty wounds etc etc - but been
a while since I did all that at college, anyone remember the reasons?

linette

Old 31-01-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

wrote:

just mulling over the scientific reasons why you shouldn't prune hardy
shrubs when frost is forecast...

have been 'brought up' to avoid pruning in very cold weather and this
does instinctively feel right, but anyone have any clues as to why?

I would guess that the cells on the exposed cuts could be damaged by
low temperatures, therefore encouraging nasty wounds etc etc - but been
a while since I did all that at college, anyone remember the reasons?

Instinctively I would have thought that pruning in very cold weather
would be a good idea as the plant would be dormant, but that pruning
in frost would be a bad idea as the cut area could be damaged by frost
and the plant would not have an opportunity to heal the wound.

So which is right?

I wonder if it's to do with the moisture, expansion then contraction
tearing the cells apart.

It's not good for human parts either!

Richard.
Old 31-01-2006, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Dwayne" contains these words:

I do all my pruning while the plant's dormant, fruit trees, roses, grapes,
etc. That is the way I was taught and I continue to do it as close as
I can
to the first of February, weather permitting.

what is your lowest winter temperature, Dwayne?

Janet

Old 31-01-2006, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

The lowest winter temp I have seen here has been around -29 C, but it has
been a long time since it was that cold. Normally it only gets down to
about -25 C.

Dwayne