Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Richard Savage

Default Pruning Beech

Hi,

I have two Beech hedges approx 10' high and maybe 4 - 5' deep. Despite
the winter winds there are still some leaves on the branches.

Question:

How far back can I prune the hedges and when should I do it?

I also have a HUGE Lawson Cypress hedge that has been seriously
neglected and I know that I cannot prune that beyond the current green
growth. Does the same apply to the Beech or can I prune it back beyond
last years growth.

TIA

Richard

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
fmurl

Richard Savage wrote:

I have two Beech hedges approx 10' high and maybe 4 - 5' deep. Despite
the winter winds there are still some leaves on the branches.

They'll be gone in a couple of weeks, which is why now is a good time to
prune.

How far back can I prune the hedges and when should I do it?

They're pretty hard. For example, I've just cut two feet from the tops, one
foot from the front and eight inches from the back of a seven foot by six
foot hedge. I was advised, however, not to get too carried away as they can
go into shock. I got a pro in because *I* didn't want to clear the
rubbish...

--
Please reply to the group, respect follow-ups and don't email me. Thank you.
Old 22-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Richard Savage

Thanks Fmurl,

fmurl wrote:

Richard Savage wrote:

I have two Beech hedges approx 10' high and maybe 4 - 5' deep. Despite
the winter winds there are still some leaves on the branches.

They'll be gone in a couple of weeks, which is why now is a good time to
prune.

Do you mean that I can only prune it while the dead leaves are still on the
branches? Presumably this is before this years buds start to appear??

How far back can I prune the hedges and when should I do it?

They're pretty hard. For example, I've just cut two feet from the tops, one
foot from the front and eight inches from the back of a seven foot by six
foot hedge. I was advised, however, not to get too carried away as they can
go into shock. I got a pro in because *I* didn't want to clear the
rubbish...

Cutting that far back is, I assume, a long way beyond (i.e. closer to the trunk)
last years growth?

--
Please reply to the group, respect follow-ups and don't email me. Thank you.

Many thanks

Richard

Old 23-03-2003, 08:08 PM
fmurl

Richard Savage wrote:

Do you mean that I can only prune it while the dead leaves are still on the
branches? Presumably this is before this years buds start to appear??

No, not at all, but it saces on clearing up. :-). I read somewhere a while
ago that the best time is March - logical because you catch them before
they start growing (except this year of course!) and you chuck the leaves
at the same time - and September, because they'll be due for a good tidy up
by then. I stick to this because it works for me. Hard-ish prune in March,
tidy in September.

Cutting that far back is, I assume, a long way beyond (i.e. closer to the trunk)
last years growth?

I my case it is. What I've learned is that if you leave it for a year
without a hard prune it's much harder the following year. In fact, my hedge
is at the stage where I can't do anything with a hedgetrimmer other than
tidy it in September. Loppers are needed for anything more radical.

--
Please reply to the group, respect follow-ups and don't email me. Thank you.

Pruning beech hedge Tim United Kingdom 2 20-11-2004 02:18 PM
[IBC] Q:Beech initial root pruning. How much is too much? Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 13-04-2004 02:35 AM
Q:Beech initial root pruning. How much is too much? Emogenebennett Bonsai 0 11-04-2004 08:04 PM
Pruning beech trees for hedging Hazel Gardening 1 04-09-2003 06:02 AM
Beech Hedge - Pruning and Cuttings David United Kingdom 1 16-04-2003 09:32 AM