Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
JohnnyJ

Default questions about peppers

Hey everyone,
I'm considering growing one or more pepper plants, simply because the
peppers available to me in the local shops are of very poor quality and
are overpriced. I found a seed supplier with the kind of peppers I want
(sweet yellow bell peppers). I live in Limerick, Ireland, so the
weather is a bit wet/cold, and also, I'm a student so I'll be moving out
of the house I live in at the end of May. For these reasons, I'm
considering growing indoors, on a window-sill, and perhaps under
fluorescent lighting too. There is an unused bedroom with a
south(roughly) facing window, so that would be a suitable location.
My questions:
Could I grow outside in a pot, to get better sunlight, or would it be
too cold? (I don't have access to a greenhouse).

Can anyone give me a rough outline of the lifecycle of a pepper plant -
when does it start producing fruit - if I'm using artificial lighting,
will I have to change the light cycle, and if so - when?

What kind of fertilisers does a pepper plant need, and how sensitive is
it to over/under fertilising.

What kind of light intensity does it need if I'm using artificial lights
(any measurement will be appreciated - watts/sq ft, lumens/plant! anything!)

Anything else I should know, or any comprehensive guides available on
the Internet - I searched, but I couldn't find anything other than the
very basics.

Thanks in advance,
JohnnyJ

Old 22-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Odin

Cerumen" wrote in message

I have grown both outside in a pot and inside on a south facing window and
got better results inside as you would expect but got a reasonable crop
from the outside plants as well although they were started inside and
gradually hardened off.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Hey Chris,
Did you use any artificial lighting to supplement the sunlight when you grew
indoors?
Also, as far as I understand - peppers are self pollinating, but how can you
spread the pollin when you are indoors - will a small fan be sufficient?
Thanks for your help,
JohnnyJ