Old 22-03-2003, 03:56 PM

Default Vine Weevil Larvae in outside soil.

Hi,

Can anyone help please.

I dug up some Astilbes the other day with the intention of dividing them
and I noticed there were a dozen or so Vine Weevil larvae and also what
looked like eggs. I've thrown away the Astilbes and had a sift through
the surrounding soil picking out what larvae and eggs I could find.

All the advice I can find on dealing with Vine Weevil assumes container
grown plants or plants in a green house. Mine are in the outside soil in
a border of the garden, with other established shrubs nearby. Is there
anything further I should do?

Many thanks

Ellen.

Old 22-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Mike

In article ,
lid writes
Hi,

Can anyone help please.

I dug up some Astilbes the other day with the intention of dividing them
and I noticed there were a dozen or so Vine Weevil larvae and also what
looked like eggs. I've thrown away the Astilbes and had a sift through
the surrounding soil picking out what larvae and eggs I could find.

All the advice I can find on dealing with Vine Weevil assumes container
grown plants or plants in a green house. Mine are in the outside soil in
a border of the garden, with other established shrubs nearby. Is there
anything further I should do?

Many thanks

Ellen.

When Joan found the same thing, she did as you have done, left the hole
open as if to plant something else, then poured boiling water all over
the soil. In the hole and the surrounding soil. A couple of kettles
full. Left it for a while, couple of days, then examined the soil.
Filled the hole and re planted with new plants. No problem again :-))
That was either last Spring or the Spring before :-))

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 22-03-2003, 05:08 PM

wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone help please.

I dug up some Astilbes the other day with the intention of dividing them
and I noticed there were a dozen or so Vine Weevil larvae and also what
looked like eggs. I've thrown away the Astilbes and had a sift through
the surrounding soil picking out what larvae and eggs I could find.

All the advice I can find on dealing with Vine Weevil assumes container
grown plants or plants in a green house. Mine are in the outside soil in
a border of the garden, with other established shrubs nearby. Is there
anything further I should do?

I had some in my garden a few years ago. Watering the soil well with
insecticide, mixed according to the instructions, over a wide area worked
fine. Obviously, not suitable for those who don't like chemicals in the
garden.

Colin Bignell

Old 22-03-2003, 05:20 PM
redclay

Diazanon crystals mixed into the soil. Make two applications.
wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone help please.

Old 22-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 17:04:57 -0000, nightjar wrote:

I had some in my garden a few years ago. Watering the soil well with
insecticide, mixed according to the instructions, over a wide area worked
fine. Obviously, not suitable for those who don't like chemicals in the
garden.

*Which* insecticide?

One of the difficulties with weevils is that they are not very
sensitive to the most common insecticides.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 23-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Anne Wheeldon

wrote in message

All the advice I can find on dealing with Vine Weevil assumes container
grown plants or plants in a green house. Mine are in the outside soil in
a border of the garden, with other established shrubs nearby. Is there
anything further I should do?

Many thanks

Ellen.

You can use nematodes. I think the stuff is called "Nature's Friends". You
buy an empty box, send off to the company and they send you a batch of live
nematodes. You water them in to the soil and they make it their life mission
to do unbelievably horrible things to vine weevil larvae. Not a chemical or
a vine weevil in site.

Anne

Old 23-03-2003, 09:32 AM
bnd777

Still the same advice ......i have had them in soil outside too and have
used Armillotox for some years when i first got wind of them researching
situation
They have now proved it and advertise the fact in garden magazines

Old 23-03-2003, 02:56 PM

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 17:04:57 -0000, nightjar wrote:

I had some in my garden a few years ago. Watering the soil well with
insecticide, mixed according to the instructions, over a wide area

worked
fine. Obviously, not suitable for those who don't like chemicals in the
garden.

*Which* insecticide?

If I could recall, I would have posted that information. It did, however,
claim to be effective against vine weevil on the label, otherwise I wouldn't
have used it.

Colin Bignell

Old 24-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Charlie Pridham

"bnd777" wrote in message
Water the area thoroughly with a solution of Armillotox every 10 days

this
will kill the eggs

If you have been using this product, stock up as it is about to be withdrawn
from the UK

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 24-03-2003, 06:20 PM
bnd777

Oh god what another EU attempt at denying us things that work
I hear creosote is on the list too

Old 25-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Michael Berridge

bnd777 wrote in message ...
Oh god what another EU attempt at denying us things that work
I hear creosote is on the list too

yes, banned from next month AFAIK, also old creosote soaked sleepers.
You can still buy used sleepers, but they will be continental ones where
they don't use creosote. They have, apparently, found that creosote
contains a chemical that may cause cancer, Not surprising as many of
those sort of chemicals do.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 26-03-2003, 06:44 PM
bnd777

So why dont they ban Aluminium thats one of the biggest causes of Cancer
going never mind Alzheimers

Old 03-04-2003, 06:44 PM

Hi,

Many thanks to everyone for their replies. I have been reading up on
the suggestions made so here is a summary and some further thoughts.

There seem to be two main chemical controls, Armillatox and Provado.

Armillatox (www.armillatox.co.uk) is due to be withdrawn in July,
due to an EU review, although armillatox's manufacturer has appealed.
It is already getting a little scarce but I did manage to find a couple
of garden centres still selling it. It targets the Vine Weevil eggs and
needs regular applications, fortnightly mid March to October and monthly
from November to mid March. It says it doesn't harm centipedes which are
a Vine Weevil predator but it does kill off other things. I am really
reluctant to go this route unless absolutely necessary as I don't want
to be committed to putting chemicals in the garden so frequently and all
year round. I guess once started, you'd be committed to doing it until
your supplies run out.

Provado (www.pbi.co.uk) is widely available, contains imidacloprid and is
designed for use in containers rather than in the open ground which I am
dealing with. They say: "Provado Vine Weevil Killer should not be used
on plants in open ground, because it is important to treat them with the
correct rate of product. To do this, you need to know how much soil the
plant is growing in - impossible when that plant is out in the garden."

For non-chemical methods, nematodes are expensive and not easy to
apply effectively. You have to get the correct minimum soil temperature.
There seem to be two kinds. Heterorhabditis megidis works best at around
14C the trade name is Grubsure. Steinernema kraussei works down to 5C
the trade name Nemasys Vine Weevil Killer. I have read that they give
poor results in dry or heavy soils. I'd be interested to hear if anyone
has used these successfully outside in open ground, otherwise I don't
intend to pay out for them.

So for open ground, rather than container grown, there doesn't seem to be
an easy option. As I have read that the larvae don't do too much damage
in open ground as there's so much for them to feed on I am thinking of
not applying a treatment but just trying the manual controls such as:

Rolled up corrugated cardboard that the adults hide in during the day
and can be emptied.

Catching the adults at night by shaking the plant while holding a white
tray underneath, then crunch them.

Encouraging natural predators. Apparently vine weevils and their grubs
are eaten by birds, frogs, toads, shrews, hedgehogs and predatory
ground beetles.

Minimal watering of plants in July and August. I read "Egg and
larval survival is helped when soil moisture is moderate to high in
July and August. Heavy mulches also help maintain critical moisture
levels. Remove excessive mulch layers and do not water plants unless
necessary. Excessively damp soils in the autumn also force larvae to
move up the base of the plant where girdling can occur."

Useful Links:

http://www.vine.weevil.org.uk/
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...vineweevil.asp
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqweevl.htm
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/vineweevil.htm

Ellen.

Vine weevil larvae in composter Rambling Marge Gardening 3 22-11-2009 02:30 PM
Vine weevils and garden chafer larvae danread United Kingdom 4 27-10-2003 09:00 AM
Vine weevil Annabel United Kingdom 1 12-05-2003 12:32 PM
Giant Vine weevil ??????? bnd777 United Kingdom 9 20-04-2003 11:44 PM
Vine weevil preferences Pam Moore United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 06:20 PM