Old 22-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Stuff I've been doing this week!

Trying to clear a twenty year old compost heap riddled with
ivy and couch grass.

I topped up a raised bed I started and planted some strawberries,
early and late varieties.

Started to dig over what was left on the compost heap with a view
to planting some early potatoes, just to use the ground for the moment,
I intend to plant rhubarb in that spot next year.

Nearly forgot, I had my annual bonfire earlier, but it looks as though
I'm going to have two this year!

Spent a lot of time just resting, cos my knees are playing up!

Alan

Old 22-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Mike

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

Spent a lot of time just resting, cos my knees are playing up!

Alan

:-( Join the club. Arthritis Club that is :-(

And I have just learnt that I 'might' have Asbestosis :-(( Doctors check
up next week.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 22-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Kate Morgan

Trying to clear a twenty year old compost heap riddled with
ivy and couch grass.
snip

There is a old compost heap in our garden covered in weeds, we have been
here 4 years and I have not touched it as I thought it would not be any
good now, maybe I am wrong?
kate
Old 22-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Little Badger

Kate
Have a poke around with a garden fork! I think you'll be pleasantly
surprised!

Badger

Old 22-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kate Morgan wrote:

Trying to clear a twenty year old compost heap riddled with
ivy and couch grass.
snip

There is a old compost heap in our garden covered in weeds, we have been
here 4 years and I have not touched it as I thought it would not be any
good now, maybe I am wrong?

You could well be. Compost usually stays worth using for at least
that long - even when very long in the tooth, it makes perfectly
good potting compost for most plants.

The best rule is to look at the state of the weeds growing on it.
If they are healthy and vigorous, then it is good stuff :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Old 22-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Kate Morgan

The best rule is to look at the state of the weeds growing on it.
If they are healthy and vigorous, then it is good stuff :-)

Thanks Badger and Nick, guess what I will be doing tomorrow :-)

kate
Old 23-03-2003, 11:20 AM
mandy thomas

I've been creating three vegetable beds - my first ever!

They are each 30 feet long by 4 foot six inches.

I've been planning what's going to go where using a spreadsheet. Have bought
some seeds and sowed some brussel sprouts seeds indoors. Today I'm going to
sow more seeds in modules.

Outside, it's time I trimmed my hedges and gave them some nutrition as
they're looking bedraggled. Might mow the grass for the first time this
year.

Old 24-03-2003, 03:08 AM
shannie

I've only been posting and reading with this group for a few weeks now and
have had wonderful, helpful, insightful and very polite feedback to the
questions I have posted. For that thank-you
From reading the posts here I have gathered that despite the trials and
tribulations, the rush and hurry of modern living there are still lots of
people who have a genuine love of gardening and that is a wonderful thing.
I had been planning my 'veggie project' for a long time, personal
circumstances meant I had to hold off for a number of years, but this week
Im proud to say it has all started in earnest. Over the past ten days I've
dug, raked, fertilised and generally prepared the ground. I've built not one
as originally planned but two cold frames (with some help from the group
here) Yesterday I planted cauli, sprouting brocolli and cabbage seeds in
said frames and some everlasting sweetpea for round the outside to attract
the bees etc. Today I planted small amounts of onion seeds, from red to
white to salad to spring to mediteranian, one third of a crop of three
different peas and some lettuce seeds. Every member of this group sould take
a bow, without seeing the absolute dedication you all put into your gardens,
the failures and the success's I think I may have left it another year.
Thanks group, if Im lucky enough to actually have anything grow be sure
you'll be hearing about it!
(apologies for such a long post)

--Shan (Ireland)

shannie(AT)utvinternet.ie

Old 24-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Ophelia

"shannie" wrote in message
I've only been posting and reading with this group for a few weeks now and
have had wonderful, helpful, insightful and very polite feedback to the
questions I have posted. For that thank-you

(apologies for such a long post)

Well I am not one who helped you I am here to learn, but I enjoyed your
post very much I look forward to seeing your posts

Ophelia
Scotland

Old 24-03-2003, 11:08 AM
bigboard

Mike wrote:
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

Spent a lot of time just resting, cos my knees are playing up!

Alan

:-( Join the club. Arthritis Club that is :-(

And I have just learnt that I 'might' have Asbestosis :-(( Doctors check
up next week.

That sucks. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Old 24-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Alan Holmes

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

Trying to clear a twenty year old compost heap riddled with
ivy and couch grass.
snip

There is a old compost heap in our garden covered in weeds, we have been
here 4 years and I have not touched it as I thought it would not be any
good now, maybe I am wrong?

Yup, you will find it is all good, just be careful as to what sort of
weeds you leave in it when you use it.

You could sieve it to help remove any doubtfull material.

Alam

kate

Old 24-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Mike

In article , bigboard
writes
Mike wrote:
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

Spent a lot of time just resting, cos my knees are playing up!

Alan

:-( Join the club. Arthritis Club that is :-(

And I have just learnt that I 'might' have Asbestosis :-(( Doctors check
up next week.

That sucks. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

:-) Thanks for that.

I had a telephone call from Australia from someone I was an Apprentice
with in the 1950's. We worked in a Shipyard and he had been diagnosed as
having Asbestosis and wanted someone who remembered him as a reference
to a claim he was making. Not only did I know and remember him, but I
did all the same things during the Apprenticeship :-(( Engine and Boiler
Rooms etc etc.

Now counting down, but I don't know how much I have to count ;-}

Old 24-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Ophelia

"Mike" wrote in message
I had a telephone call from Australia from someone I was an Apprentice
with in the 1950's. We worked in a Shipyard and he had been diagnosed as
having Asbestosis and wanted someone who remembered him as a reference
to a claim he was making. Not only did I know and remember him, but I
did all the same things during the Apprenticeship :-(( Engine and Boiler
Rooms etc etc.

Now counting down, but I don't know how much I have to count ;-}

Keep up your spirits if you can Mike. Don't worry about the worst until
you know. When will you visit your Doctor?

Sending you warmest wishes and wishing you a lot of luck

Ophelia

Old 24-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Mike

In article , Ophelia
writes

Now counting down, but I don't know how much I have to count ;-}

Keep up your spirits if you can Mike. Don't worry about the worst until
you know. When will you visit your Doctor?

Sending you warmest wishes and wishing you a lot of luck

Ophelia

Thanks indeed for that:-))

I am very lucky in that I don't worry about anything. Worry does no good
at all, so I am always very optimistic :-))

I visit the Doctor on Thursday and no doubt he will send me for an Xray,
'then' we will find out. Fingers crossed!

The annoying thing is that if I have limited time left, it's a bit of a
sod 'cos I have just really started to enjoy myself doing all these
reunions since I retired!

BUT, I look on the bright side. My Mother died when she was in her 30's,
my father at 52, so at nearly 67 and generally A1, I have been on the
winning side :-))

Thanks for your thoughts :-))

Old 24-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Sarah Dale

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:17:28 +0000, Alan Holmes wrote:

Trying to clear a twenty year old compost heap riddled with
ivy and couch grass.

Well, I mowed the lawn last weekend for the first time this year, had a
brief tidy up in the flower beds - mainly removing dead and frosted stuff.

I weeded the kitchen garden ready for use later this month / April.

I've planted my onion sets (probably a bit late but... these things
happen!). My spuds are chitting in the conservatory - planning to plant
next weekend or early April.

I've gone through the seed box, and ordered a few bits and bobs for
Marshalls. I planning to sow seed in the garden / conservatory (no
greenhouse here!) as appropriate next weekend.

Sarah in North Wales where we were frozen solid for a couple of weeks in
February.