GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   First Ladybird! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/11280-first-ladybird.html)

Martin Sykes 22-03-2003 07:32 PM

First Ladybird!

Just found my first ladybird this year :-))
Unfortunately the first greenfly seem to have arrived a couple of weeks ago
and had already started on the roses :-(

Martin

[email protected] 22-03-2003 09:56 PM

First Ladybird!

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 19:01:01 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

Just found my first ladybird this year :-))
Unfortunately the first greenfly seem to have arrived a couple of weeks ago
and had already started on the roses :-(

It seems to me that this is an inevitable consequence of the nature of
the predator/prey relationship.
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk

Warwick 27-03-2003 10:56 PM

First Ladybird!

In article ,
says...
wrote:

Just found my first ladybird this year :-))
Unfortunately the first greenfly seem to have arrived a couple of weeks ago
and had already started on the roses :-(

It seems to me that this is an inevitable consequence of the nature of
the predator/prey relationship.

I saw my first ladybird out a feeding today on the strawberries and hope
it was one of the overwintering lot from the roof.

In the big storms last year we lost the gable end ridge tile and I went
up with it and a bucket of mortar to replace it. When I was brushing out
the loose and bad mortar I came across a cache of hibernating ladybirds.
Covering every inch of loose space under the old mortar and packed
together.

I stopped brushing and tried my hardest to make sure that theier cracks
in the mortar were left well alone and that I didn't wet mortar any of
them in place. I suppose in a few weeks I'd better go and make sure that
ridge tile is actually held in and plug up the big holes.

Warwick