Old 23-03-2003, 05:45 PM
Martin Sykes

Default Veg rotation

I initially made four veg beds, intending to rotate three and use the fourth
for permanent crops. However, two of the beds get sun only half of the day
and one of the sunny ones is now planted permanently with herbs as my
original herb patch was too shady.

So, with only two beds, one sunny and one only half-so, how can I best
rotate my veg to minimise pests? The beds are 6ftx4ft.

The veg I'm growing outside is: Lettuce, spring onions, peas, leeks, garlic,
carrots, beetroot, radish, parsnip. No brassicas, which may help?

Thanks for any help,

Martin

Old 23-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , "Martin Sykes" writes:
| I initially made four veg beds, intending to rotate three and use the fourth
| for permanent crops. However, two of the beds get sun only half of the day
| and one of the sunny ones is now planted permanently with herbs as my
| original herb patch was too shady.
|
| So, with only two beds, one sunny and one only half-so, how can I best
| rotate my veg to minimise pests? The beds are 6ftx4ft.
|
| The veg I'm growing outside is: Lettuce, spring onions, peas, leeks, garlic,
| carrots, beetroot, radish, parsnip. No brassicas, which may help?

Unless they are well separated, you can't. Crop rotation as a way
of reducing pests doesn't really work on a domestic scale. So don't
worry too much about it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Old 23-03-2003, 07:20 PM
mandy thomas

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article , "Martin Sykes"

writes:
| I initially made four veg beds, intending to rotate three and use the

fourth
| for permanent crops. However, two of the beds get sun only half of the

day
| and one of the sunny ones is now planted permanently with herbs as my
| original herb patch was too shady.
|
| So, with only two beds, one sunny and one only half-so, how can I best
| rotate my veg to minimise pests? The beds are 6ftx4ft.
|
| The veg I'm growing outside is: Lettuce, spring onions, peas, leeks,

garlic,
| carrots, beetroot, radish, parsnip. No brassicas, which may help?

Unless they are well separated, you can't. Crop rotation as a way
of reducing pests doesn't really work on a domestic scale. So don't
worry too much about it.

Oh!

How 'well separated' need they be? I've created three veg beds for rotation
purposes, about 3 or 4 feet apart. Will this not work? I thought it was
about nutrients in the soil getting exhausted as much as (or more than) an
insect problem.

Thanks!

Old 23-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Martin Sykes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
Unless they are well separated, you can't. Crop rotation as a way
of reducing pests doesn't really work on a domestic scale. So don't
worry too much about it.

OK. I did wonder how a pest was supposed to travel miles to my plot and then
get stumped by the 4ft jump to the next bed.

Martin

Old 23-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Martin Sykes

"mandy thomas" wrote in
message ...
How 'well separated' need they be? I've created three veg beds for

rotation
purposes, about 3 or 4 feet apart. Will this not work? I thought it was
about nutrients in the soil getting exhausted as much as (or more than) an
insect problem.

Thanks!

The nutrient issue is still valid as some vegetables ( legumes - peas, beans
I think) fix nitrogen and others take it out. Some also like extra lime or
manure and others don't so if you plant in the right order then they
effectively prepare the ground for the next crop. I think if the pests are
beyond my control I'll just try growing everything together all mixed up.

Martin

Old 23-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
mandy thomas wrote:

How 'well separated' need they be? I've created three veg beds for rotation
purposes, about 3 or 4 feet apart. Will this not work? I thought it was
about nutrients in the soil getting exhausted as much as (or more than) an
insect problem.

Depending on the pest, anywhere from 20' up to several miles.

Rotating crops does no harm, and the nutrient aspect is real. It is
more about not growing crops with too much nitrogen than it is about
anything getting exhausted, though. However, unless you use large
quantities of animal manure, it isn't a major issue.

Old 23-03-2003, 09:32 PM
mandy thomas

mandy thomas wrote:

How 'well separated' need they be? I've created three veg beds for

rotation
purposes, about 3 or 4 feet apart. Will this not work? I thought it was
about nutrients in the soil getting exhausted as much as (or more than)

an
insect problem.

Depending on the pest, anywhere from 20' up to several miles.

Rotating crops does no harm, and the nutrient aspect is real. It is
more about not growing crops with too much nitrogen than it is about
anything getting exhausted, though. However, unless you use large
quantities of animal manure, it isn't a major issue.

Thanks Nick! To be honest I didn't notice the original message mentioned
pests, and thought you were making a general point about rotation not being
worth doing. My mistake.

Old 24-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Martin Sykes
writes
I initially made four veg beds, intending to rotate three and use the fourth
for permanent crops. However, two of the beds get sun only half of the day
and one of the sunny ones is now planted permanently with herbs as my
original herb patch was too shady.

So, with only two beds, one sunny and one only half-so, how can I best
rotate my veg to minimise pests? The beds are 6ftx4ft.

The veg I'm growing outside is: Lettuce, spring onions, peas, leeks, garlic,
carrots, beetroot, radish, parsnip. No brassicas, which may help?

Treat the alliums, i.e. the spring onions, leeks and garlic as one crop
in your rotations, the carrot, beetroot and lettuce as another, and a
mixed bed of the rest. With only two beds cropping, it would be best to
avoid any over-wintering crops so that the soil can get a rest.

Crop rotations are an essential feature of regular vegetable growing for
the purpose of maintaining soil and plant health, but they are not
specifically aimed at pest control.

HDRA factsheet no. GG19 has some very good information on plant families
and rotational cropping. It also gives some sample rotations.

HDRA: www.hdra..org.uk
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 26-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Brewer

Martin,

My vegetable garden consists of ten raised beds, 4 ft by 12 ft. I've
used these same beds for several years now with no problem. I do try
and rotate where I plant the plants in the brassicas family, but other
than that I don't worry about it. I add lots of organic materal to my
beds all through the growing season and have never had any problem.

--
Brewer

Is there a way to avoid rotation in a vegetable garden? [email protected] Lawns 2 29-05-2003 05:23 AM
Crop rotation advice please John Towill United Kingdom 1 11-05-2003 04:46 PM
crop rotation Jane VR Permaculture 2 05-05-2003 01:08 PM
Crop Rotation McGrew Brothers Farm sci.agriculture 3 26-04-2003 12:20 PM
crop rotation Jane VR Permaculture 2 03-04-2003 12:56 AM