Old 24-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Pam Moore

Default Lily beetle again

The red devils are around again. I found the first lily beetle on my
Lilium candidum (Madonna Lily) today.
I tried Bob Flowerdew's suggestion of holding it close to my ear. He
says you can hear it clicking. He is right!
I have repotted the lily bulbs.
Does anyone know if Gamma HCH dust will help against lily beetles?
It says "soil pests" and the beetles apparently hide in the soil over
winter. I have quite a few pots of lilies and not much HCH left!

Cheers
Pam
pamdotmoore@virgindotnet
Bristol
Old 24-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Pam wrote in message ...
The red devils are around again. I found the first lily beetle on my
Lilium candidum (Madonna Lily) today.
I tried Bob Flowerdew's suggestion of holding it close to my ear. He
says you can hear it clicking. He is right!
I have repotted the lily bulbs.
Does anyone know if Gamma HCH dust will help against lily beetles?
It says "soil pests" and the beetles apparently hide in the soil over
winter. I have quite a few pots of lilies and not much HCH left!

I've actually heard them buzzing before I've seen them, I think they are
calling their mates for a feed!
I doubt the Gamma HCH dust will do much good, better to check daily and
crush any red devils you find. The revolting faeces covered larvae can be
killed with a systemic insecticide or even blasted off the plants with a
high pressure jet from your sprayer.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 24-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Malcolm

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:51:43 -0000, "Sue & Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Pam wrote in message ...
The red devils are around again. I found the first lily beetle on my
Lilium candidum (Madonna Lily) today.
I tried Bob Flowerdew's suggestion of holding it close to my ear. He
says you can hear it clicking. He is right!
I have repotted the lily bulbs.
Does anyone know if Gamma HCH dust will help against lily beetles?
It says "soil pests" and the beetles apparently hide in the soil over
winter. I have quite a few pots of lilies and not much HCH left!

I've actually heard them buzzing before I've seen them, I think they are
calling their mates for a feed!
I doubt the Gamma HCH dust will do much good, better to check daily and
crush any red devils you find. The revolting faeces covered larvae can be
killed with a systemic insecticide or even blasted off the plants with a
high pressure jet from your sprayer.

Oh well at least you managed one post in three on topic, even if it is
incredibly dull.

Old 24-03-2003, 08:44 PM
paul wood

Pam Moore wrote in message . ..
The red devils are around again. I found the first lily beetle on my
Lilium candidum (Madonna Lily) today.
I tried Bob Flowerdew's suggestion of holding it close to my ear. He
says you can hear it clicking. He is right!
I have repotted the lily bulbs.
Does anyone know if Gamma HCH dust will help against lily beetles?
It says "soil pests" and the beetles apparently hide in the soil over
winter. I have quite a few pots of lilies and not much HCH left!

Cheers
Pam
pamdotmoore@virgindotnet
Bristol

I've found the new-ish stuff called Provado to be quite effective. I
mix up the whole lot at once as directed, put it in deep trays or
buckets & soak all my pots of lilies in turn. Incidentally, I bought
some bulbs of "Black Beauty" lily from Parkers in 2001 - when they
flowered in 2002 they looked somewhat different to those illustrated &
also had no scent, contrary to the description. I queried this with
Parkers & they refunded me, but with no explanation. I'd rather have
had the correct bulbs! Did anyone else grow this lily & have doubts
about it?
paul E.Sussex
Old 24-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Pam Moore

I've found the new-ish stuff called Provado to be quite effective. I
mix up the whole lot at once as directed, put it in deep trays or
buckets & soak all my pots of lilies in turn. Incidentally, I bought
some bulbs of "Black Beauty" lily from Parkers in 2001 - when they
flowered in 2002 they looked somewhat different to those illustrated &
also had no scent, contrary to the description. I queried this with
Parkers & they refunded me, but with no explanation. I'd rather have
had the correct bulbs! Did anyone else grow this lily & have doubts
about it?
paul E.Sussex

Paul, I will never trust Parkers again aftersome bad deals, though
others here sya they are good.

The idea of dunking the pots in a bucket of Provado sounds a good one.
I'll try it. Thanks
Happy gardening
Pam in Bristol
pamdotmoore@virgindotnet