GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Whats a "Troll" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/11600-whats-troll.html)

Annabel 25-03-2003 12:08 PM

Whats a "Troll"

Please tell, what's a "troll".

Bell

Charles Davis 25-03-2003 12:08 PM

Whats a "Troll"

Hope this helps.
from
http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usen.../faq_trol.html
What is a Troll?

a Troll is someone who posts messages in newsgroups with the
deliberate intent of provoking flames or heated discussion or, in the
case of a
destructive troll, an attempt to destroy the group.

There are people who imagine that trolling is always a Bad Thing. Bad
trolling is
definitely a bad thing but I have seen many intelligent and entertaining
trolls. When it
is done properly it can be compared to gently winding people up or
stirring things
for fun, as you would find people doing every night in your local pub.
Where trolling becomes bad is when it is done by someone who has no real
interest in the group's topic and is there purely to hurt or disrupt the
normal flow of
discussion or, as said above, to try to actually destroy the group by
turning it into a
continual flame war.
troll feeds on responses, taking any serious attempts at debate and
turning them
round to feed the fire - this is one of the ways in which a real troll
can be identified.
when it becomes clear that one of these is at work, the correct response
is to post
a short message exposing them as such and thereafter, ignore the thread.
Trolls post purely to get a reaction - think 'attention seeking
behaviour' - and so the
only way to defeat a troll is to ignore it. Forget what anybody tells
you about
engaging them in order to defeat them. There is no evidence of any kind
to suggest
that feeding a troll will make it go away. There is abundant evidence
(and common
sense) to say that they go away when they get no responses.
Therefore, the cardinal rule is Do Not Feed The Trolls.
Of course, when the troll is entertaining, intelligent and harmless, you
can have
some fun by joining in. But if you do this, bear in mind that you will
have become a
troll yourself!)

Nick Maclaren 25-03-2003 01:32 PM

Whats a "Troll"

In article ,
Charles Davis writes:

| Trolls post purely to get a reaction - think 'attention seeking
| behaviour' - and so the
| only way to defeat a troll is to ignore it. Forget what anybody tells
| you about
| engaging them in order to defeat them. There is no evidence of any kind
| to suggest
| that feeding a troll will make it go away. There is abundant evidence
| (and common
| sense) to say that they go away when they get no responses.
| Therefore, the cardinal rule is Do Not Feed The Trolls.

This is not quite true. I have got rid of trolls by using satire
and otherwise making fun of them - most trolls are pretty dim and
have a poor grasp of English, so it is fairly easy. Unfortunately,
some trolls are TOO dim (as the current one is), and don't even
realise when they are being laughed at.

So it is not the case that ignoring them is the only way to defeat
them, but the rule given above is a good one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

bigboard 25-03-2003 03:08 PM

Whats a "Troll"

Gorgeous George wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:46:51 -0000, "Annabel"
wrote:

Please tell, what's a "troll".

Bell

Dick Maclaren, Bodger,gould, take your pick, all trolls.

If you define Troll as people who make on topic posts and are generally
helpful and knowledgeable, then yes they are trolls.

If however, you define Troll as someone who is almost entirely
worthless, then you appear to fit the bill rather well.

Annabel 25-03-2003 03:44 PM

Whats a "Troll"

Thanks for the answers all.

Bell

25-03-2003 04:20 PM

Whats a "Troll"

"Annabel" wrote in message
Please tell, what's a "troll".

Despite the mythological references that computer people tend to prefer, the
name seems to have arisen from a fishing technique, trolling, in which you
throw out a baited line behind a boat and wait to see what bites. A Usenet
troll does much the same thing - posts a deliberately controversial message,
intended to generate responses from the people who take the bait. This is
Usenet trolling, hence someone who does it is a troll.

Colin Bignell

Paul Kelly 25-03-2003 04:32 PM

Whats a "Troll"

nightjar wrote in message
. ..

"Annabel" wrote in message
Please tell, what's a "troll".

Despite the mythological references that computer people tend to prefer,

the
name seems to have arisen from a fishing technique, trolling, in which you
throw out a baited line behind a boat and wait to see what bites. A Usenet
troll does much the same thing - posts a deliberately controversial

message,
intended to generate responses from the people who take the bait. This is
Usenet trolling, hence someone who does it is a troll.

Funny how language develops.

Originally the 'troll' was the post, the bait. But confusion with
mythological Nordic club wielding beasts appearing from caves and wreaking
havoc, gave rise to the poster being called a troll.

Now both post and poster are trolls!

pk

bigboard 25-03-2003 05:56 PM

Whats a "Troll"

Gorgeous George wrote:

wrote:

Please tell, what's a "troll".

Bell

Dick Maclaren, Bodger,gould, take your pick, all trolls.

If you define Troll as people who make on topic posts and are generally
helpful and knowledgeable, then yes they are trolls.

No I define thus. *******, ******s,arseholes,degenarates with a
distinct lack of communication skills and a defined need to feel
superior. This is why we just take the **** out of you/them..it really
is the best way tee hee.

Oh yes and an amusing need to seek the limelight, hence you'll often
see the prats proclaiming how we should ignore troll, yet trolling
away themselves.

None to bright see.

If however, you define Troll as someone who is almost entirely
worthless, then you appear to fit the bill rather well.

Sorry there was a name missing.

Dick Maclaren, Bodger,gould,bigboard take your pick, all trolls.

Happier now you have the fame you sought?

Very rich coming from someone with the biggest sig on usenet.

plonk

Alan Gould 25-03-2003 08:08 PM

Whats a "Troll"

In article , Gorgeous George
writes
Dick Maclaren, Bodger,gould,bigboard take your pick, all trolls.

gould uses his own pick thank-you very much.
--
Alan Gould

Little Badger 25-03-2003 08:44 PM

Whats a "Troll"

A troll is some one you should PLONK (killfile them) then you won't have to
see their off topic posts ever again!

Badger

"Annabel" wrote in message
Please tell, what's a "troll".

Bell

Sue & Bob Hobden 26-03-2003 12:08 AM

Whats a "Troll"

"Alan wrote in message .

gould uses his own pick thank-you very much.
--

I, however, prefer a Mattock it cuts a bigger chunk. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Harry Web 26-03-2003 12:32 AM

Whats a "Troll"

"Annabel" wrote in message ...
Please tell, what's a "troll".